Toyota Kluger Price Thread

Happs

Hi all,

I am new to this forum and new to forums in general.

My wife has told me we need a new car. I am not sure if she feels the need to keep up with the other mums at our kids' school :) In any case, we need a car with lots of room (doesn't everyone these days?).

While I was away last week my wife went off and did a recon mission at the local dealers' places. Holden (captiva), Lexus, Audi (Q7) were all checked out, as well as the Toyota (Kluger). She didn't like the Captiva or the Lexus (both probably too small) but she did like the Audi (!!!) We went off today and had a look at the VW Tiguan (too small inside) and I had my first look at the Kluger.

I was pretty impressed with it. Drove smoothly, though wallows a bit (but is 2 tonnes, so does pretty well). Big thing I thought was the effort Toyota has put into trrying to swing buyers with little kids. All the family-friendly touches in the interior and with the operaqtion fo the car entry, acessbility will win it a lot of sales. Rear camera and sensors will appeal to buyers worrying about manouvering a larger car than they are used to.

Negative was the fuel economy I guess. It will cost us (at only about 10K km's per year around $11 more per week compared to the Forester. But again, the Kluger is a 2 tonne car. I googled the likely availability of a hybrid Kluger model and from my investigation it looks like none will be available in Australia until manufacturing switches to the USA, so likely early to mid 2014 at this stage. I wonder what the reliability will be like with the US cars?

The salesman today wanted me to sign on the dotted line and I said I would have to think about it. We were looking at the Kluger Grande AWD 7 seater and we were given the following pricing....(we are in Perth)....

drive away $70,000.00

but add the following:

sidesteps $1161 + GST

nudge bar $762 + GST

Front and rear sensors $1200 + GST

Mats $159 + GST

Paint and interior protection with 99% UV tinting to all glass (except windscreen) for around $795 - though he was a bit uncertain on this as it was "another guy" they use to do this.

extra 3 yearas of Toyota factory warranty (still with 100K total km's) for about $1995.00

All up, it would seem to be around $77,100 they are wanting.

He offered $10,000.00 as trade in for my 2006 Forester, which has done 55K kms and is in very good condition.

I said I would probably buy it through my personal business (company) for "cash" with no finance.

I suspect I am not getting a very good deal.

I would be grateful if others could shed some light on my questions below. I value the experience people on this forum have. Being in business myself, I appreciate that a business needs to have a profit margin, but no-one wants to be the bunny paying a hell of a lot more than the next guy.

I have these sort of questions that come into my mind:

*Do I get the best price with a "cash" sale and no trade in or with a Toyota finance deal? He has not told me anyhting about what finance may cost

* If I go for a thrid party finance (say my bank) am I likely to do better than the Toyota finance people? I wonder if they are doing the 3.9% finance deals still?

*I expect there is room to move on the initial drive away price?

*I expect I could get around 13 to 14 K for our low mileage Forester in a private sale. Am I better to just sell it privately after we get the new car?

*With the extra 3 yr warranty:

- can I buy from one dealer and get all servicing done at another? Do dealers care about this?

- if I trade in the Kluger after 3 yrs, does the next owner still get the extra 3 yr warranty (this would protect the value of the car a bit)

I think I may need to go to one or two other Toyota dealers in Perth

and see what they can do!

I imagine the best way to get a good deal (as with houses) is to leave your emotions at the door and walk away if the deal looks poor. Easier said than done!

Any thoughts and help would be appreciated!

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi all,

My wife has told me we need a new car. I am not sure if she feels the need to keep up with the other mums at our kids' school :) In any case, we need a car with lots of room (doesn't everyone these days?).

While I was away last week my wife went off and did a recon mission at the local dealers' places. Holden (captiva), Lexus, Audi (Q7) were all checked out, as well as the Toyota (Kluger). She didn't like the Captiva or the Lexus (both probably too small) but she did like the Audi (!!!) We went off today and had a look at the VW Tiguan (too small inside) and I had my first look at the Kluger.

I was pretty impressed with it. Drove smoothly, though wallows a bit (but is 2 tonnes, so does pretty well). Big thing I thought was the effort Toyota has put into trrying to swing buyers with little kids. All the family-friendly touches in the interior and with the operaqtion fo the car entry, acessbility will win it a lot of sales. Rear camera and sensors will appeal to buyers worrying about manouvering a larger car than they are used to.

Negative was the fuel economy I guess. It will cost us (at only about 10K km's per year around $11 more per week compared to the Forester. But again, the Kluger is a 2 tonne car. I googled the likely availability of a hybrid Kluger model and from my investigation it looks like none will be available in Australia until manufacturing switches to the USA, so likely early to mid 2014 at this stage. I wonder what the reliability will be like with the US cars?

The salesman today wanted me to sign on the dotted line and I said I would have to think about it. We were looking at the Kluger Grande AWD 7 seater and we were given the following pricing....(we are in Perth)....

drive away $70,000.00

but add the following:

sidesteps $1161 + GST

nudge bar $762 + GST

Mats $159 + GST

Paint and interior protection with 99% UV tinting to all glass (except windscreen) for around $795 - though he was a bit uncertain on this as it was "another guy" they use to do this.

extra 3 yearas of Toyota factory warranty (still with 100K total km's) for about $1995.00

He offered $10,000.00 as trade in for my 2006 Forester, which has done 55K kms and is in very good condition.

I said I would probably buy it through my personal business (company) for "cash" with no finance.

I would be grateful if others could shed some light on my questions below. I value the experience people on this forum have. Being in business myself, I appreciate that a business needs to have a profit margin, but no-one wants to be the bunny paying a hell of a lot more than the next guy.

*Do I get the best price with a "cash" sale and no trade in or with a Toyota finance deal? He has not told me anyhting about what finance may cost

* If I go for a thrid party finance (say my bank) am I likely to do better than the Toyota finance people? I wonder if they are doing the 3.9% finance deals still?

*I expect I could get around 13 to 14 K for our low mileage Forester in a private sale. Am I better to just sell it privately after we get the new car?

- can I buy from one dealer and get all servicing done at another? Do dealers care about this?

- if I trade in the Kluger after 3 yrs, does the next owner still get the extra 3 yr warranty (this would protect the value of the car a bit)

I think I may need to go to one or two other Toyota dealers in Perth

and see what they can do!

I imagine the best way to get a good deal (as with houses) is to leave your emotions at the door and walk away if the deal looks poor. Easier said than done!

Hi Tim, welcome to the kluger Group. I am hppay you got right choice. Kluger Grande is the best car . I love it so much . all perferct. bellow is the price i got forr MY 2010 grande

Roof racks $280.00

Side steps $957.00

Floor mats $127.00

Above prices are toyota part prices in VIc. They might be charge bit of extra from you for labour. But floor mats roof racks we can fix our selves. only side steps we can't s DIY.

extra 3 yearas of Toyota factory warranty (still with 100K total km's) for about $1995.00 is the coorcet price.

I feel 70k drive way is really good deal. Just try to play around extras with dealer.

Hope above info will help you up to some extend.

Guck luck with your new kluger. oh wt color you after? i got silver perl. black color is normally bit cheaper than other colors .

Hi Nicole,

Thanks for that. We are looking at Silver Pearl paintwork. We have been told there are two choices with seats - a beige/tan or a black/dark colour. The most practical would be the dark colur. But we would like the lighter seat colour. We are just concerned the kids will trun it into a Ken Done painting within 6 mths !

Hi all,

I have one parked alongside a current model camry in my garage right now... they are almost the same width and length, it is just the optical illusion caused by them being a lot taller. They're basically a camry station wagon.

Negative was the fuel economy I guess. It will cost us (at only about 10K km's per year around $11 more per week compared to the Forester. But again, the Kluger is a 2 tonne car.

Our 2WD version Kluger uses less fuel than our 4 cyl Camry, city and country driving. A 2WD would certainly use a lot less than the forrester which does have a reputation for being a thirsty little car. The AWD Kluger chews a lot more ... thats the cost of hauling all that extra drive train around everywhere you go. AWD is great if you have a use for it but most city roads are not that boggy these days and 2WD is fine.

I googled the likely availability of a hybrid Kluger model and from my investigation it looks like none will be available in Australia until manufacturing switches to the USA, so likely early to mid 2014 at this stage. I wonder what the reliability will be like with the US cars?

I dont know what the us ones are like but the Jap ones would be hard to beat.

Mine is impecable.

The salesman today wanted me to sign on the dotted line and I said I would have to think about it. We were looking at the Kluger Grande AWD 7 seater and we were given the following pricing....(we are in Perth)....drive away $70,000.00

but add the following:

sidesteps $1161 + GST

nudge bar $762 + GSTMine was free..

Mats $159 + GST These are always free.

Paint No, unless it is not garaged? and interior protection with 99% UV tinting to all glass (except windscreen) for around $795 - though he was a bit uncertain on this as it was "another guy" they use to do this.

Tinting LOL.. they must laugh. They come with privacy glass ex factory, no stick on stuff. !! even on the base model. The only way you could make it any darker would be to paint the windows with black paint. The driver's and the front passenger's window is not tinted as dark but you would not want them to be ultra dark anyway.

When you consider the base version KX-R can be had for nearly $40,000 less I would be asking myself what am I getting for that extra $40,000. Larger wheels, satnav, leather seats, sunroof, 3rd row don't add up to $40,000. Also top spec versions of cars depreciate faster than base models. Top spec versions are also the biggest profit maker for dealers also. The $500 more for fuel would be blown out the window when compared to depreciation. By depreciation I mean wholesale value in X years, not what car yards are asking for them when they onsell them.

I would be grateful if others could shed some light on my questions below. I value the experience people on this forum have. Being in business myself, I appreciate that a business needs to have a profit margin, but no-one wants to be the bunny paying a hell of a lot more than the next guy. Know what you mean. Nothing kills the sweetness of a new car more than the sour taste of finding out you have been screwed.

Finance over cash... If very low finance deals are on offer they like to make up some of the loss in the sale price of the car. When normal financing offers exist it should be a level playing field. You have to play that one as it comes.

There usually is but only research and pushing them to a point where they say no to an offer will disclose it. They have to get your business, you do not have to be their customer.

Selling a car privately can be a nightmare with all sorts of people giving you the run around. There is a glut of used cars on the market now which makes matters worse. I got $12k t/i on a 2007 Camry Altise 60k on a base Kluger with $3k option @ $37,500. My advice is trade it but push for that $2k more. Focus on a good change over price is the best way to go.

These ext warranties vary. The one with mine was free but has the obligation is to have them service it. You will have to get them to clarify what type of ext warranty they are offering.

Is it tranferable? Again it depends on which ext wty they are selling. Mine is not and all ext wty's i've seen are not. Check the fine print. Do not go by verbal advice alone.

I think I may need to go to one or two other Toyota dealers in Perth and see what they can do!

Research.. and going to several dealers. When you want that hot price be there in person, not on the phone, and be ready to pay the deposit there and then. Serious buyers get serious deals.

From what you posted on another forum I think the place to start would be to work out which car you want first... I think you had 3 or 4 makes in mind? From there work on the deal of the chosen car.

Good luck... let us know how you get on.

One final tip... get some real costs on servicings for the car you decide on ... some are very expensive.

Edited by KX-R & ACV40R

• 2 months later...

Hi all,

This is my first time on a forum and have found this one really helpful, but I was wondering if I could have some more help?

First time mum and hubby let me choose our 2nd car as long as I do the research. Really want a kluger over a rav4. Looking at 2012 kx-r 2wd 7 seater. I have been quoted $42500 brand new drive away over the phone definitely. I threw back a price of $40k but the dealer said i would have to go into dealership consider and it would be a stretch.

I was wondering if anyone thought I could get a better deal? I saw someone offering the kx-r for $38888 from Vic in June, being that is October could I be able to get a better deal on a 2012 model? In SA?

Thanks and would appreciate any advice. I want to go in prepared so they don't take advantage of me.

From what i've seen online.. the $42500 would be Recommended Retail price for the 7 seater.

Only prices that i can find (again online) that are around the 38-39k mark are for the 5 seater.

Hi K-m

Couldn't give you a location unfortunately, it was just a quick online search at the usual places.

like, Redbook and Carsguide etc.

As for the lowest price... always a tricky one.

I heard once a long time ago that you should aim to pay no more than 90% of asking price.

But then other factors come into play as well, like extras

ie - nudge bar/bull bar, spot lights, side steps etc etc

it just depends on the mood of the dealer and what your happy to accept. :spiteful:

Hi All

New to this forum, and back into a Toyota after a 5 year absence.....oh, what a feeling!

Due to a workplace injury, my wife sustained protruding discs in her C-spine (neck). Getting in and out of our sedan caused her a great deal of (increased) pain, so we started shopping around for something that she can enter/exit easily. SUV sized vehicles fitted the bill; we didn't want a 4x4. We checked out every SUV from Audi to Volvo; money wasn't an issue but I'm not one to part easily with my cash. The winning contender was the Toyota Kluger Grande 2WD. The best quote I got in S.E. Qld was $59,990 drive away, with nudge bar, front and rear parking sensors, towbar and mats. I think about $67,000 is the RRP in Qld for a 2WD Grande. I don't know if it is customary in other states, but here in Qld they only give you 6 months rego as part of the driveaway price. Dark furnace was our colour of choice. Was a day away from signing on the dotted line, when I decided to "just check and see if there's a better deal". While checking, I found a 12/2009 built (3/2010 sold new) pre-facelift 2WD Grande with 47,000km on the clock (and just had it's 50,000km service) in graphite. No towbar or sensors, but that's ok. Decided to not dig as deep into the cookie jar, and drove off with this for $41,000. Very happy with this (my 5th Toyota in 25 years), and I plan to keep this until the generation 3 Kluger is released (rumours say the new US built models will be out in 2014?????).

Why did the Kluger top our list? We wanted comfortable seats, a soft ride, reliable, roomy, sufficient power (or should that be "killer wasps"?). I liked the style and I love the "gadgets" like the moonroof, satnav, power this and that. Some other SUVs came close (was disappointed with the Territory build quality, and Hyundai have yet to learn how to make comfortable seats). The Kluger was the only one that ticked all the boxes.

Looking forward to being a member here, to learn from other members and share any info I can.

Edited by Coover

Hi all,

Quick update. Took the kluger for a test drive, loved it. So what we negotiated was:

Kx-r 2wd 7seats

Black, non-metallic

Cargo mat

Floor mats

Full tank of petrol

Parking sensors

$41,000 drive away, delivery within a week.

Is this a good deal? Should we ask for anything else?

Hi kluger mum, I think you have done well with that price, I have seen a few in the late thirties,but thats in nsw and I think they were only 5 seater and didnt come with rear parking sensors, or floor mats, so I would be stocked with that price, only thing if you wanted to extend your warranty, if you plan on keeping your car more than say three years, you might beable to get them to get it in the deal. If you were willing to wait a couple of months you might get it cheaper with end of year sale ,but I think you have got a good deal and if your like me you cant wait to drive and get your new car, you find the wait painfull.

good luck with your new kluger, look forward hearing how you get on with the deal.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Everyone,

i was in hunt for a Kluger for a week or so.

Finally got a deal (hopefully a good one :) ) yesterday.

Kluger Altitude AWD built in July 2012 Graphite for 47000.

Tried to negotiate some extras but ended up only with floor mats and fuel.

What do you guys think of the deal?? is it a good one, average and bad?? I don’t have much experience in buying cars and this is my third car but first one from a dealer.

Congrats on your purchase Rayddi.

Is the $47000 drive away price? If so, you've done well. The Altitude is a well packaged deal (sunroof and DVD player) especially for those wanting a Grande but not leather or the woodgrain look. A quick look at Cars Guide has your model listed at $49500 upwards in NSW.

I like the colour you got too!

I am in the process of buying a Toyota Kluger Altitude built Sept12 and my price driveaway (im in SA) $51,000 extras i got included - side steps, paint protection, interior protection, rear sensors, front sensors, floor mats, i assume tank of petrol and i got leather put into it (they do all the seats and interior where there is cloth trim and the steering wheel).

Is this a good price?

also question two things i haven't checked is doe sthe altitude come with climate control? hope so

also why do i see some klugers that at the back under the rear window with a shiny chrome kluger panel and others a brushed finish? What does the altitude have?

That is a good price, Kluger13! The side steps alone have a RRP of $880 (been researching as I have a set for sale.....will sell here once I get up to 30 posts and meet criteria).

Unfortunately, the Altitude doesn't come with climate controlled aircon, just the manual controls. You'll still find it icy cold on a hot day; Toyota aircon systems have always been excellent.

Cloth trim is standard on the Altitude.

The rear KLUGER panel you mentioned about (some shiny, some brushed chrome)..the facelift model (post July 2010 which yours is) all feature the mirror chrome panel. The chrome strip on the back bumper compliments it. All prefacelift models have the brushed look panel.

That is a good price, Kluger13! The side steps alone have a RRP of $880 (been researching as I have a set for sale.....will sell here once I get up to 30 posts and meet criteria).

Unfortunately, the Altitude doesn't come with climate controlled aircon, just the manual controls. You'll still find it icy cold on a hot day; Toyota aircon systems have always been excellent.

Cloth trim is standard on the Altitude.

The rear KLUGER panel you mentioned about (some shiny, some brushed chrome)..the facelift model (post July 2010 which yours is) all feature the mirror chrome panel. The chrome strip on the back bumper compliments it. All prefacelift models have the brushed look panel.

i got lether put in as its more kid friendly. Oh bit dispapointed with no climate control as thought it would be standard on a car in this day and age and also no electric seats...the little things we get use to!!! Also very suprised no auto lights on the car unless you get top of the range....i have it on my camry and its not top of the range

So is the a/c system just a standard hot or cold one then?

at ;east i have a sun roof and dvd player and fog lights

I have just bought (in Brisbane) a new black KX-R (7 seater), with tow bar, front and rear sensors & car mats all up for $39,990 driveaway, I am pretty happy with that price - took a bit of research and negotiating but would like to hear what others think.

Edited by pix

G'day Pix. You did well with your purchase.Is it 2WD or AWD?

Breaking down the price we have $46,981.70 drive away price (Qld.) for a 2WD 7 seater KX-R, $51,639.20 for the same as a AWD. Add $809.60 for front and rear sensors, $751.30 for the towbar, and $135.85 for the mats gives you a full price of $48, 678.45 for the 2WD, and $53,335.95 for the all legged sibling. Looks like you saved anywhere from $8688 up to $13346! Mind you, whenever I've shopped for a car, I've always been quoted less than the RRP.

Anyway, congrats on your purchase. Did you specifically choose black? Mine is graphite, with black leather. I've been surprised that it hasn't gotten hot when parked outdoors under the Brisbane sun.

G'day Pix. You did well with your purchase.Is it 2WD or AWD?

Breaking down the price we have $46,981.70 drive away price (Qld.) for a 2WD 7 seater KX-R, $51,639.20 for the same as a AWD. Add $809.60 for front and rear sensors, $751.30 for the towbar, and $135.85 for the mats gives you a full price of $48, 678.45 for the 2WD, and $53,335.95 for the all legged sibling. Looks like you saved anywhere from $8688 up to $13346! Mind you, whenever I've shopped for a car, I've always been quoted less than the RRP.

Anyway, congrats on your purchase. Did you specifically choose black? Mine is graphite, with black leather. I've been surprised that it hasn't gotten hot when parked outdoors under the Brisbane sun.

Just the regular 2WD - I only drive around the city, so couldn't really justify the AWD - and yes, specifically requested the black - I was told initially that I would have to wait 3 weeks, but had the pleasant surprise to find out that it has come in within 1 week.

• 2 weeks later...

Looking through this post makes me realise the premium we have to pay for if we live in WA. The best I could negotiate for a AWD Altitude was $49,000. This took days and 3 different dealerships.

Hey all

After reading through these threads I sent the local guys an email, about a kluger intially we were quoted $43000 drive away on a 7 seat kxr, 2wd. I thought it was ok

The e-mail asked for it to be fitted with towbar, roofracks, floor mats, full take of juice, for the same price, I am assuming thats a pretty good deal? if they had knocked us back we were going to get a sv6 sportswagon on 0.5% interest loan.

only down side we have to wait until february to get a blue one.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, this is my first post, but not my first Toyota and probably not my last either. The wife and I are expecting our second child in January, so we thought now is the time for a bigger family car. We are trading in our 2007 Aurion for a new 2012 AWD KXR 7 seater. We pick the car up next Friday. It will be sad to see the Aurion go, it's been a fantastic car but all the same we are excited about the new additions.

We really wanted the Altitude model, we test drove one a few months back but probably left our run a little late. Apparently each dealership gets 6 Altitude models each and our dealer had sold all of theirs by the time we went back. Apparently most dealers don't like to let go of them easily either and we were told $49,500 would be the best they could do for an AWD Altitude seeming they didn't have any in stock and would need to do a deal with another dealer to get one.

We ended up with a pretty good deal on the 7 seat AWD KXR. $44,500 drive away with GPS, floor mats and reversing sensors thrown in. Even though the Kluger will never see a day off road and won't be towing anything in the near future, I wanted the AWD for safety. We are hoping the Kluger is as good as the Aurion was. The fact both cars share the same motor was a big factor in wanting the Kluger. I couldn't fault the Aurion, it's been my favorite car i've owned so far. However, it will be nice to get back onto capped price servicing and have the piece of mind of warranty again.