Damned Potholes

MG70

So i'm driving back home on the Calder Freeway in the pouring rain and hit a Pothole, straight away theres a rumble so I know the tyre is flat. Just as this happens I pass another car on the side of the road with their hazard lights on. Then when I try to get the alloy off I hit another problem, I took the locking wheel nut off but can't get the other wheel nuts off because the wheel brace is too big to get into the hole to get the other nuts off so I had to call out the RACV out to change the bloody wheel. When I got home I inspected the wheel and it's bent, so that's a new rim and tyre :angry: . What I want to know is can I claim off the Council or Vic roads, or do I suck it up and pay for it myself? :(

Mate i feel your pain i guttered one of my 20's when they where doing road work and they ripped ther road up i droped off one bit and got my rim :( i tols the BCC to pay for it sent a letter and quote in heard nothin rang them, did nothing, sent another letter nothing so i was outta pocket there, but it is always wearth trying but you my need a pic of the hole and where it happened.

So i'm driving back home on the Calder Freeway in the pouring rain and hit a Pothole, straight away theres a rumble so I know the tyre is flat. Just as this happens I pass another car on the side of the road with their hazard lights on. Then when I try to get the alloy off I hit another problem, I took the locking wheel nut off but can't get the other wheel nuts off because the wheel brace is too big to get into the hole to get the other nuts off so I had to call out the RACV out to change the bloody wheel. When I got home I inspected the wheel and it's bent, so that's a new rim and tyre :angry: . What I want to know is can I claim off the Council or Vic roads, or do I suck it up and pay for it myself? :(

If I was you, I would have immediately gone back armed with a proper digital camera and take pictures of the pot hole. I hit one not too long ago driving at 70KM/h. Damn thing snuck up on me and I hit it smack bang in the middle. Gave me a good fright like the bloody engine fell out.

Luckily no damage.

Just remember this mate, when it has been raining a lot, expect potholes, as the roads get softer they will start to deteriorate.

Edited by Silver-Aurion

If I was you, I would have immediately gone back armed with a proper digital camera and take pictures of the pot hole. I hit one not too long ago driving at 70KM/h. Damn thing snuck up on me and I hit it smack bang in the middle. Gave me a good fright like the bloody engine fell out.

Luckily no damage.

Just remember this mate, when it has been raining a lot, expect potholes, as the roads get softer they will start to deteriorate.

Well iv'e just been to take a photo of the pothole and it's already been filled in. I don't believe it, it hadn't even been 2 hours since I did it. I also noticed on the drive back there that the car now pulls to the right. I had the Aurion problem of it pulling to the left before hand so I guess there is more damage done than I thought :(

Luckily no damage.

Well iv'e just been to take a photo of the pothole and it's already been filled in. I don't believe it, it hadn't even been 2 hours since I did it. I also noticed on the drive back there that the car now pulls to the right. I had the Aurion problem of it pulling to the left before hand so I guess there is more damage done than I thought :(

Well hopefully you still tried to take pictures of it. Even if it's been filled in. You can tell them exactly what you said here and said when you returned two hours later it was already filled in. And show the pictures of the freshly filled in pothole.

Good luck man. That really really **** SUCKS. :(

Hey,

Went over this in a first year law subject. Basically they aren't liable unless they knew about it, and took an unreasonable amount of time to fix it. Pretty ridiculous from our perspective, but it makes sense if you considerer that on a rainy night hundreds of these potholes pop up in no time.

john brumby needs to spend more money on our roads, especially freeways and highways.

This has nothing to do with John Brumby. It's the local councils who are responsible for road maintenance.

john brumby needs to spend more money on our roads, especially freeways and highways.

This has nothing to do with John Brumby. It's the local councils who are responsible for road maintenance.

i know, but doesn't the state government get involved in this sort of stuff. i mean, doesn't John Brumby plan on using the budget to build new roads and the councils use the government's budget accordingly?

Edited by seifer

That's not entirely true. It would depend on the road hierarchy, whether it's an arterial, sub-arterial, collector or local road. However in this case, I think it most probable that it wasn't a state road.