The wife's twin-turbo boost-barge JZZ30

Hiro

Introducing Lexi (yeah I know, original, but I didn't choose it), Cara's first turbo car, and also her first car which is noticeably faster and better than mine :P. Looks like I'll have to tread the family car route in a few years then, maybe something like a Chaser for the practicality as well as the speed, can't let her out-do me can I? Anyway, I digress.......
Specs: AS OF 09/08/13
1995 JZZ30 Toyota Soarer GT-T (thought it was a GT-TL, but the build plate says otherwise)
Engine-related
1JZ-GTE twin-turbo
APEXi Power FC + hand-controller
Front-mount Hybrid dual-core intercooler
K&N pod BFI in sealed box, custom alloy intake pipe
Lews split dump pipes with separate wastegate pipes, split twin 2 1/2" stainless mandrel exhaust with two twin-tip Lukey mufflers
Suspension/driveline
R154 5-speed factory manual
HKS HipermaxII adjustable coilovers
Polished alloy strut-brace
KAAZ 2-way mechanical LSD
DBA 4000 Clubspec slotted rotors front, DBA 3000 slotted rotors rear
EBC Redstuff brake pads f+r
TRD leather gear knob
Exterior
18x8" Speedy Cheetah wheels
235/40 Kumho tyres - KU39 front, KU36 rear
Interior
Tan interior, velour
Electric seats
Sunroof
Flip-out cupholder
Scroll dash, blue filtered
Refurbished climate control screen w/ blue button lights
ICE
Kenwood DNX5360 2DIN DVD/GPS receiver
Audison Bit One processor
JL Audio 2.1 amp
Front Morel splits in custom door trims
Rear Morel speakers
12" Treo Sub in a moulded box in the boot
Entire cabin + boot Dynamat'ed except for roof
Mongoose alarm/immobiliser
Waiting to be installed:
HKS adjustable cam gears
Future list of mods/fixes:
Paint
Re-leather steering wheel
New bushes
Paint cam covers
New cams (a while off now)

Seeing as how it's not parked out the front right now (I don't drive it, unfortunately), you'll all have to wait for the full/detailed list of features as well as photos, these are the only ones we grabbed from the Carsales ad

154407_10150129303834408_519764407_80095

154407_10150129303839408_519764407_80095

154407_10150129303844408_519764407_80095

154407_10150129303849408_519764407_80095

Took it to work today (probably the only time in the next 6 months that I'll be allowed to :P), dropped by the local park on the way home and took a few more photos - clouds had unfortunately come over so once again all the detail of the wheels is lost, but still...

P1140911.jpg

Looks like it has two black holes for wheels...

P1140916.jpg

Mid-life taillights are the best of the bunch

P1140913.jpg

Can see some of the phat-ness of the rear tyres there

P1140915.jpg

Plates are like that because previous owner's mate had a HQ with a worked 202, so he did what any self-respecting Toyota owner would do

P1140918.jpg

Neat boot install. Amp is tucked up underneath parcel shelf where stock sub would sit, completely out of site

P1140924.jpg

Interior is interior

P1140926.jpg

It's a headunit

P1140928.jpg

No wait, it's a DVD player!

P1140930.jpg

Custom door pods...well entire bottom section of door-trim is custom actually...

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Ran the Soarer at last weekend's Toymods Dyno Day, unfortunately didn't quite live up to the 200kw claim but still quite respectable, conditions were far from perfect and there is still plenty of room to play with mod-wise and still keep it looking stockish

soarer_dyno.jpg

Previous run at SAS in same tune but in much more favourable conditions :P

soarer_dyno_old.jpg

• 1 month later...

Driving to work yesterday morning and came to the realisation that the clutch seems to be on the way out.....normal around-town gearchanges are fine, but if you punt it in gear it'll flare like an auto, especially when you're hitting or in boost. Worse too if it is part throttle, as you can get it to flare a good 2-3000rpm (combined with a lovely smell), whereas full throttle gives you enough power through to the wheels for them to catch up to the revs and stop the slipping.

Anyone got recommendations for a good street-suitable girl-suitable clutch for a 1JZ/R154 that can handle 250-odd kw? As far as I can tell it is still running the factory clutch, something a little heavier wouldn't be a problem (it is lighter than the factory clutch in the AE102, somehow), but don't want to splurge on a twin-plate or anything exotic if possible.

• 1 month later...

Well, the drama of the banana-peel-instead-of-a-clutch has been rectified, although at significant pain to the hip pocket. What was initially quoted to be a $700 clutch from the Exedy distributor turned into a $1200 clutch, plus add on about $800 in parts and labour. Still, being able to plant it with confidence makes it worthwhile, it was getting to the stage where it was downright painful to drive, even the slightest hint of load and the clutch went south.

Next on the cards is a new set of tyres and/or wheels, plus fixing the radiator and diff leaks that they found when it was up on the hoist.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Looks good with the new wheels, sporty and luxury looking at the same time, just like the car itself :D

OT: What are the features of the Mongoose alarm, I've got to get one sorted out in the coming months, and want something decent.

OT: What are the features of the Mongoose alarm, I've got to get one sorted out in the coming months, and want something decent.

Not sure on the exact features (came with the car), has the normal stuff like remote boot open (since the Soarer has electic boot release), multiple remotes, turbo timer, glass breakage etc, multiple zones etc etc...

• 2 months later...

Well, Cara has been in my ear a bit lately about wanting to make the Snoarer more _her_ car (since we bought it with 99% of the mods done to it already), so we've decided to start looking around at bodykits...

So far, our attention has fallen on two in particular

1) Veilside Executive Sport

AE076-01.jpg

AE076-03.jpg

Pros: Rear bumper and wing look awesome, full copy kit (minus wing) is fairly easy to acquire

Cons: Not 100% convinced about the front, and we'd lose foglights and high-mount tailight, rear wing is next to impossible to find in the country and only genuine

2) Vertex

TOYOTA_SOARER_vertex.jpg

TOYOTA_SOARER_vertex__front.jpg

Pros: Cleaner front bar and sideskirts than the Veilside, much easier to find

Cons: Rear a bit plain, facelift front end/foglights/grille (which I'm not a big fan of)

Thoughts?