Difficulty shifting in Sportivo

Hi guys, i am having difficulty shifting quickly from 1st to 2nd gear when i rev the to 8000rpm. Apparently when LIFT kicks in 1st gear becomes very tight, almost "locked" sometimes and i have to use quite a bit of force before being able to shift. tried to do a quick 1-2 shift when revving it out but just can't do it. the gearbox feels so tight in 1st and 2nd gear. Other gears from 2nd onwards are fine though and i am guessing the car is still very new with 900kms only so the transmission might need some time to loosen up? Has anyone of you here had that problem?

I remember the Sportivo i test drove did not have this problem :(

Zee

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Zeerolla,

My stivo is about to hit 20,000km and i too have this problem.

It only started recently so i might let the dealer know on my next service..

anyone had this problem fixed?

ZEE - Dont thrash your gearbox too early on the Stivo.

I have talked to a few guys of late in regards to my new ride and the word from JPN is that if you trash the gearbox too early you will have issues. But if you run it in well it will be as strong as an Ox after about 1000-1500 K's

Yes you will have troubles getting it out of lift in 1st and down to 2nd. I had troubles the first day with that on mine, but i just left it alone.

I have managed a few times to get it out of lift in 1st to 2nd but i guess I have been luky.

If your going to play around with lift in the first 1000 K's do it from 2nd onwards my friend ;)

It's like a new Girly Friend....treat her nice the first week or so ...then she will let you do anything to her after that!!!! :P :P :P

Give it time, i had similar issues but its smoothened out. The only time it really got difficult to use in 2nd, 3rd 4th and 5th was when i had a crap batch of optimax. im not saying optimax is crap, but that batch made the car feel weak and rattly. I swapped to Mobil, and it was sweet as new. Now it's all i use.

I've gone 6000km's with my car, yet I'm still having the same problem from day 1. Can't get it in gear when in lift. When the RPM drops below 6000RPM then it can go in. Then it takes time to hit lift again. This is why I'm always losing when giving others a run. Feel so bad for giving our Stivos a bad name! :(

I've gone 6000km's with my car, yet I'm still having the same problem from day 1. Can't get it in gear when in lift. When the RPM drops below 6000RPM then it can go in. Then it takes time to hit lift again. This is why I'm always losing when giving others a run. Feel so bad for giving our Stivos a bad name! :(

Blackrolla,

that was exactly what happened cos there was a modded mirage at the lights one day and it was an 80km/h zone so off i went in first to 8000rpm then got "stuck" for a second!! Wouldn't shift, had to wait till the revs drop a little before the box loosened up and then into second. By then the revs were hanging around 5000rpm. Feels crap because i thought the 6 speed was supposed to be one of the slickest shifts! The brand new Sportivo i test drove did not have this problem, i revved it to 8200rpm then a fast shift into 2nd and chirped the tyres!! I need to get this checked out man. I have been shifting like an old grandmother since Day 1 because the box felt really tight and after 2 weeks and about 1000kms, the box is still so freakin tight :( I suspected from day 1 my clutch felt and sounded funny. Wonder if it is a clutch problem.

Zee

ZEE - Dont thrash your gearbox too early on the Stivo.

I have talked to a few guys of late in regards to my new ride and the word from JPN is that if you trash the gearbox too early you will have issues. But if you run it in well it will be as strong as an Ox after about 1000-1500 K's

Yes you will have troubles getting it out of lift in 1st and down to 2nd. I had troubles the first day with that on mine, but i just left it alone.

I have managed a few times to get it out of lift in 1st to 2nd but i guess I have been luky.

If your going to play around with lift in the first 1000 K's do it from 2nd onwards my friend ;)

It's like a new Girly Friend....treat her nice the first week or so ...then she will let you do anything to her after that!!!! :P :P :P

Danthuyer,

thanks for the advice man. I will let it clock a few more ks before trying again but as i mentioned to Blackrolla, i haven't been thrashing the gearbox or racing it for the past 2 weeks. If not for the traffic light situation, i would never have bothered quick shifting it. Anyway, still drives amazing though. Keep me updated about your car like with the servicing and drives etc. since we both have new Sportivos :lol:

Cheers,

Zee

I was told by everyone that I just had to let it loosen up a bit. Shouldn't it be about time it's loosen up already??? I am really beginning to get the sh*ts with not being able to land in lift when changing gears.

I had a race with a motor bike (don;t know what model) the other day and a commodore (old one) and i was ahead of the motor bike for just a slight second when I had to change gears and didn't go in. i actually cranked it again which really hurts and by then the bike just passed me. It's embarrassing when they hear the crank. They just think ur a crap driver.

I think I will be taking it back and getting it checked out.

I've been having all sorts of probs with my car incuding the windows. They don't go up and down no more. (Just the drivers door only). :angry:

I was told by everyone that I just had to let it loosen up a bit. Shouldn't it be about time it's loosen up already??? I am really beginning to get the sh*ts with not being able to land in lift when changing gears.

I had a race with a motor bike (don;t know what model) the other day and a commodore (old one) and i was ahead of the motor bike for just a slight second when I had to change gears and didn't go in. i actually cranked it again which really hurts and by then the bike just passed me. It's embarrassing when they hear the crank. They just think ur a crap driver.

I think I will be taking it back and getting it checked out.

I've been having all sorts of probs with my car incuding the windows. They don't go up and down no more. (Just the drivers door only). :angry:

Blackrolla,

i totally understand and symphatise with what you are saying :( . Just keep us updated about seeing Toyota about these problems. I would like to see what they have to say :angry: You haven't modded your car in any way right so the Warranty should be intact.

Zee

BlackRolla this may sound stupid but its not ment to, but have u checked the button next to the door lock that locks the other windows from being opened and closed, check that out b4 u take that in.

As for the gearbox, when i got my car, i couldnt get the bloody thing into reverse. It was so hard, now it goes in really well. It was like that for the first 1500 - 2000 kms. I never had that problem of not being able to get out of 1st but i never hit lift until 2000km.

I still find that shifting from 2nd onwards is so easy, its just a flick whereas 1st to 2nd i have to concentrate not to miss the gate into 2nd

Hi Guys.

I haven't experience any of the problems mentioned on this board except the brake squel in reverse.

The gear box seams to be tight from 1st to 2nd but not to the extent that you guys are experiencing. I can land in lift form first to second but your timing has to be spot on.

If you guys are having trouble from 1st to 2nd and cruching gears easily then it sounds like it could be the syncrhos. Don't we have double cone synchros from 1st to 2nd?

BlackRolla this may sound stupid but its not ment to, but have u checked the button next to the door lock that locks the other windows from being opened and closed, check that out b4 u take that in.

I have checked that button as well. It's not that. Mate...that'll be the first thing I checked. Not that Bimbo !!! :)

When your in lift you really have to stick it in. I have 15000k's on the clock and still find it difficult to execute a clean shift from 1>2. 2>3 is better but still notchy but it does not jolt the whole car like 1>2 when you slam it in!

It doesnt take much to give them a bad name in straight line performance!

Heck even my piece of turd 1984 corolla whips a spotivo.

yes... im bullsh!tting. I like to make claims of unbelievable performance from my car. No i do not have a smallport 4A-GE (from AEA92 SX/GTi) fitted - i just made that up.

:rolleyes:

Well my celica has been run at eastern creek - 16.8sec.

My corolla is MUCH FASTER than my celica (yet to run at the creek, been in the USA too long)

a carby celica is only half a second slower then a tivo lol thats gotta be a kick in the nuts! My mr2 3sge is about on par with a ae82 4agze and i have beaten tivos, the ae71 is light and rear wheel drive, not about power, more so traction :)