looking at coolant

now i am looking at engine coolant as it is 2 years and time to replace it. nunawading toyota (melb) are always more expensive i find. they quoted $125

chadstone toyota $95

Edited by kcorro

The cartoons on that site cracked me up Marcus :lol::lol::lol:

Some good info to know though... cheers for that!!! :)

This thread has also ticked you over the 1000 post mark (officially) :) nicely done :D

Edited by Blue_Stivo

as jason said 'use toyota'

but if you want to try something 'cool' and different. try redline oils 'water wetter' ;) with some tap water

Mate r u serious that redline states to us their product with tap water ???? :blink::blink::blink::blink::blink:

I spose I do work at toyota :P  :P  :P ...

If it wasnt for the fact that u occasionally bring useful knowledge to the forum

:P :P :P :P (i highlight the word occasionally) the fact that you work for toyota is enough to get u banned from the forum :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P

as jason said 'use toyota'

but if you want to try something 'cool' and different. try redline oils 'water wetter' ;) with some tap water

Mate r u serious that redline states to us their product with tap water ???? :blink::blink::blink::blink::blink:

I too scratched my head when I was talking to the guy...I was like "You sure you dont mean distilled or demineralised water!?"

hes like NUP!!!! tap water is fine.....

WTF!!!!

Tap water is not something I'd put in any of my car's cooling systems.

I use the post-mix toyota long life coolant, and mix it with distilled water, with a little less than 50% Toyota LLC. If you mix it too strong you will have a leaking waterpump within 10,000km.

So you're meant to change coolant once you reach 2 years? I haven't change mine yet, is it necessary?

check the service manual

if your car has long life coolant it is 2 years

if it has standard then it would be less time

although, nothing like changing coolant every year?? 2 years is a lot of time havin crud run through.

long life or short life, i'd be doing mine yearly regardless of coolant. Ofcourse use reccomended coolant.

Tap Water.

Can anyone answer this: How do you flush your radiator and engine of coolant just using bottled distilled water???

Draining ur radiator won't keep it clean. There's still the water that flows through the engine. I mean you probably could use bottled water but that would take alot of water......

Does toyota service use distilled or tap?

leaving the toyota LLC in for two years is fine.

I flush my cooling systems with a few bottles of demineralised water from autobarn (comes in 5L bottles). If you have a newish toyota which has only had the red toyota coolant in it, the system should be perfectly clean and doesn't need much to flush it out. It's when you mix coolant types or use tap water etc that the cooling system starts to build up scale etc in the passages. I've purchased a lot of frontcuts now, and the difference in the condition of the water passages between the engines that run toyota red V's the others that use green crap etc, is like night and day. The motors that use the toyota red coolant always look brand new when you remove the waterpipes/waterpump etc to service them.

leaving the toyota LLC in for two years is fine.

I flush my cooling systems with a few bottles of demineralised water from autobarn (comes in 5L bottles).  If you have a newish toyota which has only had the red toyota coolant in it, the system should be perfectly clean and doesn't need much to flush it out.  It's when you mix coolant types or use tap water etc that the cooling system starts to build up scale etc in the passages.  I've purchased a lot of frontcuts now, and the difference in the condition of the water passages between the engines that run toyota red V's the others that use green crap etc, is like night and day.  The motors that use the toyota red coolant always look brand new when you remove the waterpipes/waterpump etc to service them.

one of the guys from work brought his nissan in and it was having issues with the water pump...on openening the radiator all you caould see was 'orange' and if you felt the top hose from the radiator it was empty and you could feel hard conflake like bits in it :(

Hi, while we are on this topic.

How do you flush the coolant on the 1ZZFE any way?

Do you just drain it through the drain nut at the bottom of the radiator and fill it up again?

Edited by FoRoLLa

Hi, while we are on this topic.

How do you flush the coolant on the 1ZZFE any way?

Do you just drain it through the drain nut at the bottom of the radiator and fill it up again?

Have a look for the 1ZZ-FE (ZZE-130) service manual! they explain it very well in there! ;) (have a look under workshop)

While on this topic, i used about 15% toyota red stuff with a bottle of water wetter, topped with distilled water.

Did this while i put my TRD Thermostat in, its awesome!!!

You gotta drain the radiator and the motor.

Motor has a drain plug underneath the inlet manifold (Front of Motor)

Fill it with Demineralised/Distilled water, start up and run for 15 minutes, then drain again, then fill with Toyota Long Life Coolant.

Edited by rolla02

I have looked at the service manaul guide, but having a hard time finding the drain nut on the motor. Tried looking with a torch from above and under the car still can't locate it behind the inlet manifold.

Just wondering if one of you guy be able to post a real pic of roughly where it is located?