daytime running light: options

tekkyy

I bought this before from ebay as well for my DRL but after 6 months I removed it from my car.

The quality & brightness of this LED is not really that good.

Chrome color started to peel off from the plastic cover and is not bright enough for daytime use.

Not a good investment for long term in my opinion.

got these off ebay, thought i was getting one pair, but got 2 pair for $14.58 bargain. going to fit them in the bottom grill.

I guess u get what u pay for, but they better than nothing.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In keeping with the quality 6000k Xennon HID low beam and fog lamps on my car i once again tuned to Phillips when i was looking at DRL's i got these ones here. They use Phillips Luxeon LED Chip technology.

http://www.lighting.philips.com/in_en/consumer/carlighting/1_car_lighting/products_for_car/13_drl.php?main=in_en_consumer_lighting&parent=89083467512&id=in_en_car_lighting〈=en

In keeping with the quality 6000k Xennon HID low beam and fog lamps on my car i once again tuned to Phillips when i was looking at DRL's i got these ones here. They use Phillips Luxeon LED Chip technology.

http://www.lighting.philips.com/in_en/consumer/carlighting/1_car_lighting/products_for_car/13_drl.php?main=in_en_consumer_lighting&parent=89083467512&id=in_en_car_lighting〈=en

how much were those ?

I saw a great pair some time ago on a Jap site. They switched on after sensing engine vibration and switched off after 2 or 3 min after engine off. They wont switch off at stop lights ect.. very neat idea, and minimal wiring except to ACC supply. Ill have to search high and low to find them again...

how much were those ?

There is a page 1 to this thread you know :P

Hey mate!

I don't know where you get those figures from? May be from another planet.

Have a look at this around $180 incl postage after converting to AUD.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/PHILIPS-LED-DAYLIGHT-4-DAYTIME-STRIP-LED-LIGHT-12V-/110670883436?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item19c47faa6c

I have done some many researches on this DRL, in my opinion this is the best & easy to install DRL kit in the market and yet still affordable.

Have a look at Autobarn, i think sell this kit between AUD$250 to $400 if I am not wrong.

how much were those ?

Hey Scott mate, I’m actually not sure what the RRP of these is. As you know my second job is in the music industry and all out intelligent moving lights, the Martins, ROBE and Vari-Lite* fixtures all use Phillip's or Osram lamps mostly Phillips so we’re a pretty big buyer of their products despite the lamp life hours been huge we still keep a lot of them because well we have a lot of fixtures lol so we get a good price and just like he HID's for the ZR6 they looked after me pretty well with these ones as well, and really with this type of thing you get what you pay for yes this are much more expensive than the 15 buck eBay special but the led technology is far superior there smaller brighter more direct and draw even less energy and has a longer service life. i really couldn’t go past Phillips lamps, what ROBE and Vari-lite* achieve with their technology particular vari-lite* with their XENNON lamps is amazing as if what ROBE is cranking out with Quad chip RGBW LED technology :) - nerd much haha

You said both "option 1" and "option 2" uses ACC fused power.

Is that 12(IC) or 3(II)?

12(IO) as this will supply the power to the parkers in the wiring diagram I modified.

You said both "option 1" and "option 2" uses ACC fused power.

Is that 12(IC) or 3(II)?

12(IO) as this will supply the power to the parkers in the wiring diagram I modified.

damm hope your charging by the post hahah, make a killign dude lol :)

Oh I see. I was trying to understand from the difference between the two diagrams.

So hey are both switched 12V.

12(IO) is on at "ACC" position and 3(II) is on at "ON" position yeah?

Anybody know where the fuse/relay for the sportivo dash display is ive looked at fuse locations ( under glove box) etc but cant find it.My plan is to wire the lights to that circit, so they only come on when starting the car.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/DRL-CCFL-Angel-Eyes-Projector-Head-Light-TOYOTA-AURION-/130498726156?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1e6254890c

Just saw it on ebay while searching the eyelids for my mate. It has the angel light and the daylight LED, pretty pricy tho $650 but I'm sure it will look absolutely awesome!!!! Anyone up for a group buy and see what the best we can get?

have installed the LED lights and wired them up to come on when the ignition is switched to the on position and switch off at acc. also put an inline kill switch as well.

• 2 weeks later...

have installed the LED lights and wired them up to come on when the ignition is switched to the on position and switch off at acc. also put an inline kill switch as well.

Sweeeet. I've been wanting to get DRLs on my silver zr6 at that spot but I didn't know how it would look. Awesome. I'll probs go for the phillips one.

Was it difficult to install? I'm an undergrad engineering student with no modding experience. Do you think that I would have trouble installing it?

Oh and for the inline kill switch, I was thinking of putting a similar one beside the park sensor button. How did u do yours?

Edited by lasertip

Sweeeet. I've been wanting to get DRLs on my silver zr6 at that spot but I didn't know how it would look. Awesome. I'll probs go for the phillips one.

Was it difficult to install? I'm an undergrad engineering student with no modding experience. Do you think that I would have trouble installing it?

Oh and for the inline kill switch, I was thinking of putting a similar one beside the park sensor button. How did u do yours?

Mine are cheap LED's the drl ones wire in differently, there is a link if you look adamsys posting.

Mine are cheap LED's the drl ones wire in differently, there is a link if you look adamsys posting.

Ahhhh god damm i must get these installed some day before im 100! they look cool as :)

• 2 weeks later...

how much were those ?

---------------

THESE LOOK LIKE THE DUCKS GUT'S i ALSO FOUND ANOTHER LINK IN faq FOR THESE FROM eUROPE. i LIKE THAT THEY MEET EURAPEAN STANDARDS

Sorry cap's lock was on and didn't mean to shout. They ae very expensive from europe. Anyone know of a local importer or another supply line that is not so exxy?

No access to ebay here at work. Bummer.

Spied

I bought 2 led strips ($1.50) off ebay and a relay kit ($14.95) also from ebay.

I put the strips following the contour of the black trim just above the fog light. they go horizontal from outside in and then slope downwards towards the middle.

This is connected straight to the battery at present and I have a master switch located in the indent next to your leg when driving. This allows me to leave them on when the car is off. (I am still yet to connect it to a source that turns off when the car is off e.g. cigarette lighter)

Not to sure how helpful this will be but it is certainly a cheap way of doing it.

I simply attatched the lights with strong double sided tape and for 4 months now they havn't moved at all.

Not the brightest thing during the day but they are noticeable. look good at night.

It has given the car a very distinct look and is a constant head turner around town.

(Will attach photo if people would like)

Show me your photo, I like to see.

I put the strips following the contour of the black trim just above the fog light. they go horizontal from outside in and then slope downwards towards the middle.

This is connected straight to the battery at present and I have a master switch located in the indent next to your leg when driving. This allows me to leave them on when the car is off. (I am still yet to connect it to a source that turns off when the car is off e.g. cigarette lighter)

Not to sure how helpful this will be but it is certainly a cheap way of doing it.

I simply attatched the lights with strong double sided tape and for 4 months now they havn't moved at all.

Not the brightest thing during the day but they are noticeable. look good at night.

It has given the car a very distinct look and is a constant head turner around town.

(Will attach photo if people would like)

I think you and I had the same idea xD

Here is my set up. It cost me $3 for two strips and $7 for a fuse tap and some wires. The double sided tape works surprisingly well, I thought I would be fixing these strips back on every couple of weeks but its stayed on for more than a year now.

aurion.jpg

only have daytime pictures

went to bed last night and remembered to take a night one but was too tired to get out of bed.

I thought it would look tacky too but I found that it quite neatly went into place and if I don't have them on you would never know that they're there.

post-24571-0-63005200-1307495694_thumb.j

post-24571-0-33072300-1307495766_thumb.j

post-24571-0-81467000-1307495818_thumb.j

Show me your photo, I like to see.

----------

Why a relay kit? I would think these are so low power just an inline fuse 10 amp?, would be the go.

Spied

----------

Why a relay kit? I would think these are so low power just an inline fuse 10 amp?, would be the go.

Spied

Only reason is cos i'm young and had no idea what to do when I did it. Asked a mate to help me and he had done something similar.

Wish I had found this forum before doing it.

post-24571-0-78696600-1307573222_thumb.j

post-24571-0-25894700-1307573303_thumb.j

Nothing wrong with being young mate!

This forum is great.

Ordered the Phillips DRL's today through Autobarn, just the four led ones. Should be in next week. Foglamps going in tomorrow.