2010 Levin ZR 2.0L Engine Swap

Toyota somehow fell behind when it came to engines in the corolla as its only available with a 1.8 when every other hatch on the market is a 2.0l or a turbo 1.6/1.8.

I plan on rectifying that with a (hopefully) 3zrfe engine.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

I'm ordering the car end of this year but wanna get the engine sorted so that when it arrives it can be swapped out straight away, no fuss etc. Was thinking of buying a new engine out of a 2010 Ultima (sedan) but haven't contacted toyota to get a price yet.

Toyota somehow fell behind when it came to engines in the corolla as its only available with a 1.8 when every other hatch on the market is a 2.0l or a turbo 1.6/1.8.

I plan on rectifying that with a (hopefully) 3zrfe engine.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

I'm ordering the car end of this year but wanna get the engine sorted so that when it arrives it can be swapped out straight away, no fuss etc. Was thinking of buying a new engine out of a 2010 Ultima (sedan) but haven't contacted toyota to get a price yet.

guessin at $13,000 plus $4500 for local mods and fitting....THEN given it's not an ultima is it ADR legal..? why would you bother. ??

^ Ditto. Buy a different car, or get a Blade front cut from Japan.why buy a brand new Corolla and dump another 10-15k on it? without bigger brakes sus work etc etc. Better off turboing the 2ZR-FE, and building up the donk at the same time

I agree to what's said above. In my honest opinion, it will be not worth it. I suggest buying another car. Did you want a new car? A Toyota? Something with more power? We can help you suggest a car suitable to what you're after. :)

For the rough price you're willing to pay for what you said, you can buy the following:

Camry Sportivo

Aurion Sportivo

Golf 118TSI

Polo GTI

Golf GTI

Focus XR5

WRX

Accord Euro

Civic TypeR

From the top of my head.

whether or not i think this is a good idea is irrelevant and rather than rag on your idea i thought i might as well give you some positive advice given the negative views already presented ..... a better alternative / approach is to buy a second hand ZRE as opposed to a new one given the fact that you are simply wanting the car for its body as opposed to anything else ...... now depending on how involved with the car industry u r u might also even be better off getting a repairable write off ..... all depends on whether u have the know how to get something like that fixed / sorted.

Now for engine choice obviously going the aurion 3.5L engine would be amazing but given the sheer physics of it i probably wouldnt recommend it since toyota had a fair bit of engineering behind them when they fit the thing in the blade ...... i would probably recommend going to 2AZ out of the Rav4 ..... mind u its shared with the camry but it produces less power and torque now im not 100% sure why but a basic assumption might be the tune in the ECU but thats just an assumption.

2AZ - 2.4L from Rav4

Power 125kW @ 6000rpm

Torque 224Nm @ 4000rpm

2AZ - 2.4L from Camry

Power 117kW @ 5700rpm

Torque 218Nm @ 4000-4000rpm

3ZR - 2.0L from Ultima - for the extra 2KW & 14NM of torque i would think this option is hardly worth it.

Power 102kW @ 5600rpm

Torque 189Nm @ 4400rpm

2ZR - 1.8L from Corolla

Power 100kW @ 6000rpm

Torque 175Nm @ 4400rpm

So again i'd say to get some advantages a front cut would probably be best. As there might be some re-useable goodies. Added to this is all the supporting mods that u must not forget about i.e. sussy, brakes, clutch, LSD, etc etc etc.

From here u then need to make some decisions N/A or F/I ? If u go F/I the advantage of going with the 2AZ is that in the US there are a crap load of bit given this is the same engine out of one of the scions i believe ..... so a lot of hard work has already been done ..... this however involves an even larger investment.

Now dont get me wrong this will make the car quicker and given the extra torque will also provide a lot more poke through traffic however you arent exactly building a supersonic race car at this point. So just have that in mind when setting your expectations on the project .... caveat to this ofcourse is if you go F/I and re-build the engine and pump a crap load of boost through it ..... then u will have a weapon on ur hands ;)

Now im not saying to go ahead with the project but just presenting an alternative ...... mind u if i had listen to the thousands of ppl that told me to sell the sportivo i wouldnt have a 12 sec sportivo today ...... but be mindful of the fact that being unique is going to cost cash and take time so its really upto you if your prepared to put up with it.

The far easier path is as has been presented ..... buy something which starts at a higher platform. The choice is urs.

I agree to what's said above. In my honest opinion, it will be not worth it. I suggest buying another car. Did you want a new car? A Toyota? Something with more power? We can help you suggest a car suitable to what you're after. :)

For the rough price you're willing to pay for what you said, you can buy the following:

Camry Sportivo

Aurion Sportivo

Golf 118TSI

Polo GTI

Golf GTI

Focus XR5

WRX

Accord Euro

Civic TypeR

From the top of my head.

you forgot the better one of the lot..mazda 3 mps

If you're considering a 2AZ swap, then see if any wreckers have a Rukus available. It uses the E15 chassis, so the swap should be pretty straight forward. Although, if you want a manual gearbox you will need to source one from a Camry. :)

For that about of money your willing to spend.. turbocharging or supercharging the 2ZR-FE will get you better results. Even if you stay N/A, just do more engine work; bigger injectors, bigger fuel pump, aftermarket ECU, headers, full exhaust etc. These are cheaper mods than swapping any engine and will still give you good gains.

For that about of money your willing to spend.. turbocharging or supercharging the 2ZR-FE will get you better results. Even if you stay N/A, just do more engine work; bigger injectors, bigger fuel pump, aftermarket ECU, headers, full exhaust etc. These are cheaper mods than swapping any engine and will still give you good gains.

Cheers peeps. Since posting I have had a better think about the project and if i could get a blade that would be good but I've only seen auto's for sale. I'm def getting a 2010/2011 levin with full TRD sus pack and all options as my daily and will either supercharge or turbo. Just not sure yet as I can't find an off the shelf kit yet (browsed the CAPA site the other day) and I'm not in a rush cos i don't wanna void the warranty so I got plenty of time to collect parts :P

Thanks again, appreciate the constructive criticism too. one thing i've noticed thats different on this forum to the others is that ppl don't just yell and scream at ya and tell ya that you suck. lol

i spend a good part of my working life doing conversions... here are a few tips if you dont want to end up in tears or with a 20 year bank loan for getting the conversion done..............

pick an engine that the factory fits into the exact body you want

forget about Blade master V6 half cuts as the Blade front bodywork is totally different to allow for the V6, rad pushed further forward etc

any such change will require a mod plate, so you cant go backwards (in years) with respect to emission control systems. what ever engine you fit has to be 100% factory stock to get a mod plate. what you do after that, is a different thing

make sure the engine/body accepts a manual box and get the correct box with the engine.

dont assume a bigger gearbox will physically and/or the axles will line up/fit (eg, the 2GR V6 cant be sucessfully fitted to lots of models, because the axle line is miles out, not beacuse the engine wont fit in the hole)

you wont be able to buy an engine package from toyota that has everything you need. buy a half-cut instead so you get wiring, brackets, cables, filters, hoses etc etc