New tyres for my Aurion -options

So the tyres on my aurion are still from factory and I've done 72K on them. It's time for new tyres. What are the best options for 16" wheels on my prodigy? When it comes to tyres I know absolutely NOTHING about them. I don't even know how much they should cost for a decent everyday tyre.

So prices, suggestions on brands etc would help me so much.

Maybe stick to the same brand you have if your not going to aftermarket wheels, 72k from the originals is pretty good :yahoo:

How on earth did you do 72K on those Dunlop 300E ?

I gave them up at 40K when they slip around in the wet too much.

I use Michelin Primacy now.

These dunlops are pretty damn hard. I bet I can push these tyres to 80k easily. They still have decent tread on all of them.

But I want to get rid of them anyway. They're 'close' to being finished but more so like you said these tyres in the wet are the worst. They lose all grip and they really do have that feeling that they slip when the roads are wet or it's raining.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. Will look into them all :).

Wow. What do you mean you can push it to 80K?

How many mm you had left at 72K?

My factory Dunlop 300E didn't last long.

It hit the indicator on one of the front tyres at 15K odo.

I changed to Bridgestone Potenza RE001.

Hmm. Could it be that harder tyres have better mileage on smooth roads?

Yet somehow worse mileage on bumpy roads?

No idea but I'll take a picture of them today and post up.

If you've bought your car second hand is there any way of knowing if the tyres have been changed? Do they normally make a note of it in the logbook? because i had a quick flick through and couldn't find mention of the tyres being changed. Its currently at 82k and id bought it when it had done 35K

Edited by mmm_sx6

It typically won't be recorded in the logbook by anyone unless the owner likes to stick all their receipts in there.

Three things that are a sure sign that the tires have been changed:

1) The brand/type of tire is not the usual (Energy MXV8 for the Sportivo)

2) The km's are qutie high and the tires are in a surprisingly good condition.

3) The manufacture date stamped on the tire is after the car was manufactured.

It typically won't be recorded in the logbook by anyone unless the owner likes to stick all their receipts in there.

Three things that are a sure sign that the tires have been changed:

1) The brand/type of tire is not the usual (Energy MXV8 for the Sportivo)

2) The km's are qutie high and the tires are in a surprisingly good condition.

3) The manufacture date stamped on the tire is after the car was manufactured.

For those who don't know, it is a 4 digit number such as 0410. The first 2 digits represent the week and the second 2 represent the year, so in this case it is week 4 of 2010.

• 4 weeks later...

Had a look and my date stamp on the tyres were around the time of the build date of the car, so that means with the factory michelins, ive 85 000kms out of them, which is pretty dam good. Might go with them, although the grip isnt the best.

Hey tekky, how did you find the RE001s? any idea how long they lasted you? or if you're still using them, how many k's have you done on them, and how much wear have they taken?

Kumho really are a fantastic value for money tyre these days, KU19's and 30's have fantasic performance for the coin!

Hey tekky, how did you find the RE001s? any idea how long they lasted you? or if you're still using them, how many k's have you done on them, and how much wear have they taken?

With the cheap tool I got off ebay I measure total thread depth and depth til wear indicator and store it in excel.

But I haven't measured for a while.

I think it was wearing quite slowly. But I aim for a more gentle commute to work.

It lost like 1mm of 6mm for 10,000 kms. But its probably not linear.

At the 36month service the tires were rotated against my noted wish.

I'll try to remember to measure them again. I have OEM for the boot so they couldn't have involved that in the rotation.

Kumho really are a fantastic value for money tyre these days, KU19's and 30's have fantasic performance for the coin!

Spot on, I also have Kumho KU31's on my Camry.

With the cheap tool I got off ebay I measure total thread depth and depth til wear indicator and store it in excel.

But I haven't measured for a while.

I think it was wearing quite slowly. But I aim for a more gentle commute to work.

It lost like 1mm of 6mm for 10,000 kms. But its probably not linear.

At the 36month service the tires were rotated against my noted wish.

I'll try to remember to measure them again. I have OEM for the boot so they couldn't have involved that in the rotation.

Awesome, yeah i did abit of research aswell and for now, im going to stick with michelins, going for the primacy lc, which have got extremely good reviews online, might try them out, i can get them for $185/tyre, which seams alright

Funny that, My tyres were rotated againt my wish aswell..

Awesome, yeah i did abit of research aswell and for now, im going to stick with michelins, going for the primacy lc, which have got extremely good reviews online, might try them out, i can get them for $185/tyre, which seams alright

Seen a few reviews of the Primacy LC having poor to bad performance in the wet, did you see those reviews?

I too will be looking for replacement for my 16" Prodigy soon, however I'll absolutely be wanting to change from the stock 215 width to 225, and todo so believe I need to reduce my profile from 60 to 55 - I'm fine with that. Worth the extra 10mm of width on the road!

Seen a few reviews of the Primacy LC having poor to bad performance in the wet, did you see those reviews?

I too will be looking for replacement for my 16" Prodigy soon, however I'll absolutely be wanting to change from the stock 215 width to 225, and todo so believe I need to reduce my profile from 60 to 55 - I'm fine with that. Worth the extra 10mm of width on the road!

Thanks the heads up, wet weather grip was a big factor for me... back to the drawing board... trying to find one for about 180/tyre might ask around for those kumho's.

Edit: Was reading up about the KU31s which have really good reviews! but one thing i noticed in a few of the con sections was "bad rim protection"... what exactly does that mean?

Edited by mmm_sx6

I don't want to rotate not just because I want to keep track of mileage.

I also want to be keep track of wear, punctures, etc.

The whole tyre rotation thing is a bit contraversial anyway.

Rotation pattern for cornering safety, braking safety, asymmetric tyres, mileage...

I rather not rotate and just change them in pairs.

OK back to this.

I measured today.

See if you can make sense of it.

total/indicator

14,440km

front new

front right 7.3/5.6

17,000km

front right 6.8/6.0

23,000km

front right 6.4/5.1

25,100km

front new

rear left 5.8/4.8

rear right 6.0/5.6

44,000km

rotated

front left 4.6/3.6

front right 5.2/4.6

rear left 4.3/3.6

rear right 5.2/4.3

im going to stick with michelins, going for the primacy lc, which have got extremely good reviews online, might try them out, i can get them for $185/tyre, which seams alright

Thanks the heads up, wet weather grip was a big factor for me... back to the drawing board... trying to find one for about 180/tyre might ask around for those kumho's.

Start fresh.

Set your budget.

Rank the following. Wet, dry, mileage, noise, and comfort.

At about $150 I see Kumho Solus KH15 for wet and Bridgestone Potenza RE001 for dry.

I had the Kumho Solus KH15 before on Camry.

Noisy compared to stock Michelin Vivacy. Only 18,000km mileage in the front.

But has AA wet traction rating.

Choice tyre comparison also had it doing well in the wet.

Bridgestone Potenza RE001 is great in the dry.

By my extrapolation about 40,000km mileage in the front.

I don't want to rotate not just because I want to keep track of mileage.

I also want to be keep track of wear, punctures, etc.

The whole tyre rotation thing is a bit contraversial anyway.

Rotation pattern for cornering safety, braking safety, asymmetric tyres, mileage...

I rather not rotate and just change them in pairs.

Well for me i get free rotation and wheel alignment every 5000km. :yahoo:

I rotate my tyres because i know i will get even wear on all 4 tyres so when the time comes i can change all 4 tyres and not only 2.