ZRE152 - HID Lights

Hi guys!

Well, I've just got my first car - an 07 Corolla Ascent ZRE152, WOOT!

I want to install some HID's, however I am slightly unsure about this decision.

From research, I'm thinking of getting a colour range between 6000k - 8000k

However, I've also been told that when buying online i should be aware that there may be some dodgy kits

well, some that are not as good as others.

So through your experience, are there any specific kits you would recommend and a specific colour range to get the best visibility?

Thanks!

Hi and congrats on your first car!

My first car was the same as yours :lol:

For the question what colour range....it really depends on what you want. Factory HIDs that you get on for example the top range corollas are 5000K, which is pretty much just white, while 6000k is diamond white. So it has a slightly blueish tint. The further you go up the scale the more blue the lights get. So i'd recommend 6000k.

Easiest tip i'd have is dont fall for those 30AUD kits you get from ebay...i paid 80$ for mine and apart from a slight flicker they work fine...there are some stories of people using 30AUD kits without problems but i wouldnt recommend it. I'd be looking at kits for 60-100AUD.

Hope this helps :)

Hi guys!

Well, I've just got my first car - an 07 Corolla Ascent ZRE152, WOOT!

I want to install some HID's, however I am slightly unsure about this decision.

From research, I'm thinking of getting a colour range between 6000k - 8000k

However, I've also been told that when buying online i should be aware that there may be some dodgy kits

well, some that are not as good as others.

So through your experience, are there any specific kits you would recommend and a specific colour range to get the best visibility?

Thanks!

Aye, if you live in Melbourne, Westside, there is this person selling Kit's for $70, I bought from him, and I've been running solid for the past 5 months...

Mind you I bought 6000K, swapped the bulbs for some ebay bulbs of 5000K, that's for both Low Beam & Fog Lights.

If you want his contact deetz tell us, I'll pass them onto you, he's on Firesport too.

BTW: You don't know how to make a signiture smaller do you?

Edited by iVaz

@Seby123

Thanks for the advice mate!

I was thinking of getting these:

http://aponline.com.au/product.php?productid=16182&cat=0&page=1&featured

If you're familiar Mighty Car Mods, they featured these in an episode being installed on an S15

Call me paranoid, but I just want a hassle free install.

@iVaz

Thanks for the heads up, but I reside in Sydney.

and sorry, I wouldn't have a clue on how to make a signature smaller.

Yea i understand you want a hassle free install...mine werent that easy to install but that was my fault :ph34r: That set looks pretty good, i reckon you could go for that. If it doesnt work just blame MCM? :lol:

if u want a hassle free or easy install i suggest to take off the front bar and remove the headlight (unplug all the bulb out). This will allow u more room work and blood free. Once done plug in HID into the headlight and tighten up loose bolt etc. Put front bar back on :)

Go the 6000k buddy. I just got my HID's installed with 6000k low beams, 8000k highs (just for kicks lol). Got them all installed for $200 with free 5SMD T10 LED parkers and license plate bulbs installed too. Don't fall for the really cheap kits on eBay - couple of my mates had these installed and they died on them within a couple months!

If you just want the kit to install yourself, the guy sells them for $70 and you can pick them up yourself from Nunawading, which was a bit of a drive for me to go there to get them installed but was well worth the drive because when I was watching him install, looked a bit difficult to me seeing as I've never done anything mechanical before. The most time consuming part was looking for a place to mount the ballasts, because the engine bay itself is quite small and was already taken up buy most of the components of the car already.

If you want to have a look, here are some photos of my car with the HID's installed (these pics were taken by the dude after he installed them - DSLR + Lightroom FTW!):

248458_187121101338080_126906517359539_514522_4118407_n.jpg

255168_187121081338082_126906517359539_514521_4138492_n.jpg

and here's a pic I took with my iPhone - close up of the headlights at night: http://hphotos-snc6....9_6072119_o.jpg

Btw, as Master.Coung mentioned, if you want the easiest install, you should remove the front bumper. The guy didn't remove mine when he installed my HID's but he did need to remove some of the parts in the engine bay in order to reach the bulbs in the headlight (air duct, washer fluid tube). Majority of my ballasts are hidden away (there's 4 in total for me). But one is sitting in between two parts on a wiring harness, mounted with a couple of cable ties but they are all sitting very securely and don't rattle/move at all.

P.S. 'grats on the first car ;) Great choice. My 2011 'rolla was my FIRST car (I had a 2003 Rav4 before it, but that was given to me by my 'rents. I actually bought this one, hence why I consider it my real first car :) )

Edited by itsmehuey

Hey guys just out of curiosity, should HID beams have a straight horizontal cut-off on the top of the beam? Mine aren't completely straight and have this slight sort of angeled "pattern" so not sure if this is normal. Cheers.

this is about 1.5m from the wall:

med_gallery_24068_1082_68872.jpg

a bit closer (about 1m from the wall):

med_gallery_24068_1082_79425.jpg

and even closer (about half a meter from the wall):

med_gallery_24068_1082_89269.jpg

That is completely normal mate. It's to project more light on the left side of the road so you can see more on that side, like pedestrians etc. It is like that on all cars but on the side opposite oncoming traffic, so therefore it would be reversed for the States etc.

Ahhh thanks mate. Gave myself a fright for a moment. Did some more reading on the different patterns and yeah completely understand now why my beams are like that. Due to being ECE RHD cutoff pattern. Cheers man

LOL your 6000k HIDs are more yellow then mine even though i ordered 4300k. Quality control FACEPALM. <_<

They're actually white buddy, if you look at the pics taken with the DSLR.. the closeup of my lights were off my iPhone.

And I don't think they look more yellow than your 4300's, if you look at the pics of mine compared to yours which look a lot more amberish (unless you're referring to your blue lights, which in that case I'd be wondering why 4300k's would be blue lol)..

24418410150192246033027.jpg img7307g.th.jpg

The blue light in mine is the 4300k HID low beam. I'm comparing both projector lights. The weird part is that your 6000k are more yellow than my 4300k. I'm probably going to go and buy a proper Philips 4200k H11 HID kit later.

Edited by A Buff Hamster

What 4300's have you got installed mate? I thought 4300k would be more of a warm white than blue.

Btw, my HID's have only just been installed so haven't really used them for that long (probably 3hours in total so far).. I read that HID's have a "break in" period of about 50 hours to reach its true colour, so I'm no where near that yet lol.

• 2 years later...

pls share the details from where I can purchase the HID/LEDs for 2007 Toyota Corolla Ascent Zre152r, is it a DIY or do i need a Auto Electrician?

If you're asking that question, usually it means you will need someone to do it for you :D

pls share the details from where I can purchase the HID/LEDs for 2007 Toyota Corolla Ascent Zre152r, is it a DIY or do i need a Auto Electrician?

ebay.

and you can diy

unless you want genuine - you need to ask a toyota dealer, and yes toyota dealers offer installation too.

but it will cost you alot of $$$$$$$$$$$$

and dont forget, since you dont have the ZR version, legally you will need auto headlight adjustment and headlight washers.