Huey's "Illest" Facelift ZRE

itsmehuey

Edit: wow they actually hunt for modified cars now? shoot. I hope I don't get caught up in anything like that here in Melb.. might get busted for my CAI when I install it - seeing as I'm still on my green P's.

yeah, in melb,

only 1 air intake is legal, either cai or fmic,

since you only have your cai, you'll be fine, ;] (Y)

Haha still waiting for the CAI! (actually kinda worried now since I haven't gotten it yet and USPS tracking site has been on "Processed Through Sort Facility, June 28, 2011, 6:43 pm, ISC CHICAGO IL (USPS)" for ages!)

Hopefully I won't get checked though - if they see my CAI, I may be done... seeing as I'm still on my green P's :(

that's not what vicroads say though :S

section in red is that of what I am referring to. ref: http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/Home/Licences/GetYourPs/RestrictionsOnPs/Pplatedriversandprobationaryprohibitedvehicles.htm

Definition of probationary prohibited vehicle (from 1 July 2007)

A vehicle that:

• has an engine with eight cylinders or more, or
  • has an engine that is turbocharged or supercharged (except those listed in the probationary vehicle database). There are also some lower powered turbocharged or supercharged vehicles which have been exempted and can be operated by a probationary driver who has been given an exemption by VicRoads. Refer to lower performance turbocharged or supercharged vehicles and the probationary vehicle database for more information.
  • has an engine that has been modified to increase the vehicle's performance (other than a modification made by the manufacturer in the course of the manufacture of the vehicle, or
  • a nominated high performance six cylinder engine (refer to the probationary vehicle database).

wtf, not in NSW

That means a P Plater can drive a car legally in NSW, but illegal in VIC, WTF?? What happens if people lives between the border !!! What a bizzare

http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/licensing/gettingalicence/car/p1p2_conditions.html

The prohibited vehicle condition restricts provisional (P1 and P2) drivers from driving certain high performance vehicles. The condition applies to provisional licences issued on or after 11 July 2005. The scheme aims to prohibit young driver access to vehicles that are overrepresented in young driver crashes.

Prohibited vehicles are those with:

Eight or more cylinders (except diesel).

A turbocharged engine (except diesel).

A supercharged engine (except diesel).

Engine performance modifications that require an engineers' certificate.

Certain high performance six cylinder engine vehicles or other vehicles as described in the publication Novice Drivers - High Performance Vehicle Restrictions.

The following vehicles are not

http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/registration/downloads/vsi/vsi_06_-_guidelines_for_light_vehicle_modifications_nov_2007.pdf

Owner certified minor modifications are generally those modifications which were optional equipment for the vehicle

concerned. Owner certified modifications also include some non-standard modifications of a minor nature which do

not affect the level of safety, strength or reliability of vital systems such as brakes and steering. These modifications have

little or no impact upon the vehicle’s level of compliance with the Australian Design Rules.

Examples of minor (owner certified) modifications are:

Engine changes where the capacity increase is less than 15% above the maximum size engine available for the

vehicle (providing no major structural modifications are necessary and where noise and/or exhaust emission

ADRs apply, all standard equipment such as carburettors, exhaust systems, exhaust gas recirculating valves,

oxygen sensors and catalytic convertors relating to noise and emission control are retained and operate

correctly).

- The fitting of a proprietary sunroof (if the modifications are of a minor nature only).

Fitting a ‘package’ available as optional equipment for the vehicle (eg front disc brakes, power steering, alternative

transmission and bucket or bench seats).

- Additional lighting eg fog & driving lights.

- Alternative wheels and tyres within the owner certified limits set by the Authority (see Vehicle Standards

Information Sheet No. 9 Guidelines for alternative wheels & tyres).

- Fitting of handling enhancing suspension components such as roll stabiliser bars and up-rated shock absorbers.

Edited by ben yip

Thanks man. Just the cat - I had a look under the car before they pulled out the torpedo and I think they said there was another muffler at the front (before the torpedo) so I opted to just stick with the front muffler, cat, and rear muffler. I reckon sound is pretty sweet and it doesn't bother me at all from inside the car cos it's not overly loud (thanks to the twinloop).

that's not what vicroads say though :S

section in red is that of what I am referring to. ref: http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/Home/Licences/GetYourPs/RestrictionsOnPs/Pplatedriversandprobationaryprohibitedvehicles.htm

Definition of probationary prohibited vehicle (from 1 July 2007)

A vehicle that:

• has an engine with eight cylinders or more, or
  • has an engine that is turbocharged or supercharged (except those listed in the probationary vehicle database). There are also some lower powered turbocharged or supercharged vehicles which have been exempted and can be operated by a probationary driver who has been given an exemption by VicRoads. Refer to lower performance turbocharged or supercharged vehicles and the probationary vehicle database for more information.
  • has an engine that has been modified to increase the vehicle's performance (other than a modification made by the manufacturer in the course of the manufacture of the vehicle, or
  • a nominated high performance six cylinder engine (refer to the probationary vehicle database).

hrmmm,.. i see,

well you're just being cautious which is fair enough,

as far as experience, i got pulled over by highway patrol driving an s15 with an fmic and cai, got fined and defected, asked them why defected ? two intakes,...

hot Netz !!

Thanks Ben! :) Love the look of the Netz badge on the black Corolla. Gives it a unique look compared to the original Toyota emblem.

Btw, you should post up a sound-clip of your exhaust, now that you have your catco hi-flow cat installed now too ;) see how it differs in sound compared to mine, seeing as yours have the WeaponR headers and custom stainless catback system. I'd imagine it would be louder than mine, seeing as I have the Xforce twinloop installed on my rear which would exhaust sound a bit.

EDIT: lol... I just confused the F### out of a few people with my car, filling up at the petrol station - from the front, they had no idea what it is until they looked at my rear badges :X That should soon change, after I debadge everything from the rear except for the stock Toyota emblem.. need to paint that motherrrrr

This clip was taken 1 year ago with 1/4 tank of fuel. At that time, I don't have catco installed, but CAI, header and cat back are there.. Today, the sound is similar, but little more treble, not big difference. After installation of catco, the needle moves much more faster, especially from 6k-6.4k. Before, the rpm needle speed stays the same from 6-6.4K. Now the needles just moves even faster..Even with full tank..

Will do a dyno tomorrow to prove this is not a psycological thing

My exhaust clip

Once I fix my mobile phone, I will take another one..

For your petrol, why do they need to care about what car you have, aren't you fill up yourself and pay at the cashier... They don't give a sh** to your car

Edited by ben yip

Yep I can also concur that the needle moves much faster, especially from 4k-6k RPM. I don't belive it's a placebo effect, because I also feel the car doesn't "lag" or "stutter" when I accelerate anymore like it used to with the stock torpedo. Lol I might dyno just for the hell of it when I get my CAI installed (when it arrives too -_-)..

Oh what I meant about confusing people with my car, is when I went to fill up petrol (which I do myself - I don't get others to fill up for me), other people who were filling up their car at the same time were looking at the front of my car, confused because they didn't know what it was simply by the badge at the front being a Netz badge (not Toyota badge).. Not many people know what Netz is I suppose lol. The guy at the cashier did also mention to me that I had a nice car but had no idea what it was either lol. (exactly what I mentioned in my PM to you lol)

Nice work on the XForce S10 twinloop huey. I always wanted that muffler in the beginning. Nice sound. B)

With regards to the Injen CAI, it will probli drown out your exhaust note. The induction noise you get will be very noticeable at 4-6k but around 2.5-3.5k its fine. I dont even hear my TRD muffler anymore or remember what it sounds like unless i hear le.vinh.zr drive off in his zre.

Regards to the installation of the CAI, took me and the boys 2.5-3hrs each taking our time. If you have any problems or need help just holler.

Dosage ftw.

Thanks Johnnie :D Love the sound now with the Catco cat.. couldn't hear s### when I had the stock torpedo in.. also restricted a lot of airflow with the stock cat+resonator. So glad I switched it out.

Thanks for the offer on helping with the CAI man. will let you know how things go. Can't wait for it!

Damn it's been 4 months now and I still haven't been able to name my girl yet... I'm sticking with my "dark" / "black" theme and after I did the exhaust, the car really purrs and growls now so was thinking of terms of cat like names or names that have a dark meaning behind them... current name's I'm thinking of are:

• Onyx
  • Panther
  • Melanie (French derived from the Latin name "Melania", meaning black/dark)
  • Puma
  • Ace (not really a chic's name though)
  • Coco
  • Layla / Leila (means "Dark Beauty" in arabic)

I'm leaning towards Layla (or another variation of the name) at the moment.. but thinking about Melanie and Onyx too. ARGH.. hate naming things..

Edit: Named!!

Thanks guys :)

My next installment is definitely going to be new wheels and lowering. Trying to decide between black with machine/chrome lip or maybe black with blue strip/trim (just to be different from all the red strip/trims). Either way it will probably be another month or 2 before I've accumulated enough funds :)

No no no to the blue ring. Toooooooo tacky.

All black or maybe chrome trim.

Too tacky? Why's that? lol

Guess I'll see how they look up against the car when I do go shoe huntin. Probably will stick with the black with chrome lip though. Or might look at how gunmetal looks on the car.

Hey Huey

Nothing tacky about that.

Excellent choice of wheels. Zorst note sounds great too.

Thanks guys :)

My next installment is definitely going to be new wheels and lowering. Trying to decide between black with machine/chrome lip or maybe black with blue strip/trim (just to be different from all the red strip/trims). Either way it will probably be another month or 2 before I've accumulated enough funds :)

No no no to the blue ring. Toooooooo tacky.

All black or maybe chrome trim.

Too tacky? Why's that? lol

Guess I'll see how they look up against the car when I do go shoe huntin. Probably will stick with the black with chrome lip though. Or might look at how gunmetal looks on the car.

Hey Huey

Nothing tacky about that.

Excellent choice of wheels. Zorst note sounds great too.

thanks mate. yeah, I fell in love with the gunmetal when i saw them up against my car.

hueyszrephotoshopped.jpg

My little bro just whipped up a quick photochop for me. Looks pretty shmick but woulda been better if the reflections of the trees weren't on the front windscreen/bonnet and the lighting wasn't so terribad! lol. Oh well, not a bad job for a 1st year graphics and media student.

think I'll need that TRD front lip to give it some "more lows" whistling.gif I think coilovers will come late this year. I'll stick with my pedders springs for now :)

But yah, blacking out the bonnet and adding darker contrast to the body would have made it look naiiicer.