AT-X handling upgrades

Hey all, Just wondering where is the best place to start? sway bar, suspension or tyres? Currently got an AT-X 07 with 89k km and I'm not looking at spending a heap of money if I can help it. I've read up on some of the forum part were DJKOR has changed hes sway bar and increased it quiet significantly although I believe he has the Sportivo model which has the better suspension in it anyway, though I'm not looking at putting it on its backside were alot of people want to drive around were its dumped so badly were u hit a bump and u feel it and the cop problems I do not want to have, I just want to decrease the body roll mainly. I'm just looking and the cheapest way to go around it but not the shortcut ways.

Many thanks Phil.

Hey all, Just wondering where is the best place to start? sway bar, suspension or tyres? Currently got an AT-X 07 with 89k km and I'm not looking at spending a heap of money if I can help it. I've read up on some of the forum part were DJKOR has changed hes sway bar and increased it quiet significantly although I believe he has the Sportivo model which has the better suspension in it anyway, though I'm not looking at putting it on its backside were alot of people want to drive around were its dumped so badly were u hit a bump and u feel it and the cop problems I do not want to have, I just want to decrease the body roll mainly. I'm just looking and the cheapest way to go around it but not the shortcut ways.

Many thanks Phil.

Sway Bar and Strut Bar first - cheap, easy to get and install and will make the car handle significantly better

Tyres - importance of when to upgrade depends entirely on what you have on it at the moment. However my tyres have VERY poor grip and yet when driven hard they only affect me so much (in the dry).

Suspension - Sportivo or TRD springs/shocks will make a very nice difference to your handling and compliment the sway bar combo well. Coilovers are available however might be overkill depending on what you want it for.

So a search and make thorough use of the FAQ, there is plenty of information available to help you research and decide what best suits your needs.

Regardless of your spring/shock combo, the upgraded rear sway bar and front strut brace alone will provide quite a significant change in handling. Better tires would compliment this, however that can wait until you need to get them.

Edit: Here's an answer I prepared earlier:

Ultra Racing Kit Installation

I suppose asking a question if it would benefit the AT-X would be a silly question :P

It would benefit any grade of the Aurion, however it obviously won't handle like the Sportivo's do with them installed. The suspension on the Sportivo is slightly different to the AT-X, Presara, etc, and because it rides a little stiffer to start with, the benefits of the Ultra Racing gear can really be taken advantage of.

It's not to say it isn't a good idea to get it, you just can't expect to throw it into the corner in the same way as the Sportivo.

this may sound like a noob question but do they already have one installed? I presume the sportivos and TRD do have them installed I looked at the price on them and they are quiet expensive in my books I've seen on ebay

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Toyota-Aurion-GSV40R-06-on-Swaybar-link-assembly-F-/190487075460#ht_3776wt_1192

are they worth looking at with the AT-X? as a cheaper option would it increase the handling a bit being a AT-X?

Thanks Phil.

All Aurions have a Rear Sway Bar fitted as standard from factory. Most cars for that matter will have a RSB for that matter. The improvement is not in adding one, it's in getting one with a larger diameter. A 3mm increase in diameter from the stock 16mm to the Ultra Racing 19mm may not seem like much when you look at it but believe me, the difference it makes to handling is quite a lot. It can change the way the car feels to you altogether. When you look at it in terms of bang for your buck, an upgraded RSB actually works out to be good value.

As for those swaybar links you provided in that eBay link, they will do sweet ef all for you unless you current ones are deformed. You will already have those on your car and those are simply an OEM replacement for them. It's like replacing your wheels with the same ones.

You can only change one sway bar and that's the rear. You are looking at around $300 for that one. The front strut brace is around $200. If you only went for one to save on costs firstly, get the rear sway bar. It will still make a huge difference without the front strut brace, though should you get that, it will compliment it nicely.

Lowering springs will help improve your handling, but they don't necessarily reduce body roll which is what the Rear Sway bar does. You now make the question a little more difficult in that if you were to choose from one or the other, which will be better. To answer it realistically, out of the rear sway bar and the King springs, I would say neither is better than the other. Combined however, they will be a nice combination. If I was to pick one though, I'd still go for the rear sway bar as this would give you the comfort of the stock suspension, yet still reduce body roll so that your car feels more balanced in the corners.

Rear sway bar for sure will make the biggest difference straight up. And the front strut tower brace compliments and ad’s it's only certain something to the handling mix. Get both but if you have to get one first then go the 19mm (most agree 22mm is a bit "extreme" for road use in Aurion) sway bar first up :)