Speakers 6x9

jeffy

Hey all,

im getting new speakers for the camry (due to the rear ones being busted - and thought i might as well change the fronts),

and would like to know some opinions from everyone, (my knowledge and experience on audio aren't really that great)

im thinking of getting these:

" MB Quart FTB169 " - They are 6x9's and getting two pairs.

suggestions are also open,

Thanks a bunch

-jeffy

If you haven't got an amp to power them, don't bother with aftermarkets.

What is your price range?

i was thinkin these:

speakers

i have a 500w amp lying around, but appearantly i dont need an amp for these certain type of speakers,?

budget, under $150 perhaps? for 4 speakers ?

Stock headunit doesn't put out enough power for those, what amp do you have? I'd recommend running a 4ch (Jaycar ones are good value)

Let me have a dig around, I may have some 6x9 speakers here I can let go cheap. If you don't have splits; don't replace the stock fronts. They are surprisingly good, especially if you power them with an amp.

Stock headunit doesn't put out enough power for those, what amp do you have? I'd recommend running a 4ch (Jaycar ones are good value)

Let me have a dig around, I may have some 6x9 speakers here I can let go cheap. If you don't have splits; don't replace the stock fronts. They are surprisingly good, especially if you power them with an amp.

my head units after market, its a JVC xr616

i got a kenwood amp, and its 4ch

are the front two same as the back ones ?

havent really checked it out yet, might strip the back ones during the week,

my head units after market, its a JVC xr616

i got a kenwood amp, and its 4ch

are the front two same as the back ones ?

havent really checked it out yet, might strip the back ones during the week,

The front two from memory are, but also have the tweeter hooked up as well. Don't use the Headunit to power your speakers; despite it's power output claims. Use the amp.

You can use the headunit to power the speakers but they will sound crap. Once you go amp you realise how good amps are. As for the MB quarts speakers, i wouldn't go with them for the fronts as they are very piercing in the high range making you fatigue. That's why i have them in the back as they are far from me but i can hear the high range without getting fatigue.

If i had to choose between Coaxial or Components at the same price i take components any day as the sound is more separated.

I would take these if i were you for both back and front.

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_9487_Eclipse-SC6900.html

Silk dome tweeters are the smoothest tyre i have heard. That's why i have my front tweeters are silk.

Edited by A Buff Hamster

thanks for the input guys,

i have no tweeters btw...

edit: purpose of getting new speakers is becuase (well i blew the back two) i plan to go to those drive through cinemas :] ! i heard they were awesome and people said it would be better if you had a good sound system in your car,

Village drive in cinema's with a sound system is awesome! but i wish i had my splits installed and running off the amp though.

I saw transformers 3 a few weeks ago at the drive ins and it wouldnt have been the same without a sub! Also have heaps of junk food!

I reckon with the 4 channel amp you can do a very basic setup with just splits and sub.

Find a low powered sub such as the rockford p1 and kicker sub. Both rated at 150 watts RMS.

Decent set of splits from jaycar and that'll keep you pretty happy.

It'll most likely be better than 4 speakers. I find that when the door speakers play the lower frequencies, i get alot of door rattle.

You need to go to a audio store and have a listen for yourself. What sounds good to you may not sound good to others' ears.

Going for brands can determine the build quality and reputation but NOT the sound quality of your ears.

Definitely amp the speakers. Sound is much cleaner and the opportunity to play with frequencies etc.

What sort of music do you listen to?

I assume by going 6x9 you like your mid bass lines...

Perhaps going for 6"/6.5" Components for front and 6x9 or 5x7 rears.

OR components front and rear and a sub running off either 4 channel and mono or 5 channel amp.

You need to go to a audio store and have a listen for yourself. What sounds good to you may not sound good to others' ears.

Going for brands can determine the build quality and reputation but NOT the sound quality of your ears.

Definitely amp the speakers. Sound is much cleaner and the opportunity to play with frequencies etc.

What sort of music do you listen to?

I assume by going 6x9 you like your mid bass lines...

Perhaps going for 6"/6.5" Components for front and 6x9 or 5x7 rears.

OR components front and rear and a sub running off either 4 channel and mono or 5 channel amp.

listen to mostly electro house, bit of techno when moody, uhhh rnb/slowjams.

was going for 6x9 because thats the oem ones, i assumed there is no grinding/chopping off or anything,

yeah, getting a mono block for the sub down the road, no rush atm, although i did my hw for the sub, (ill dig for that file later on, its somewhere lost in my hard drive :P)

either a single 15" or a dual 12", running a 2000kw amp,

also got a back up 4ch 1000kw amp in my mates unregistered skyline, gna pinch that off him xP

Well I would advise against getting aftermarket 6x9 as they are designed for parcel shelves where the boot is their box. The door does not have enough volume and you probably will be disappointed. Further more they have huge magnets which will probably foul your windows. The toyota speakers are also usually held on by 3 screws so you will need to drill new holes anyways. So if you want to upgrade the fronts, make some mdf spacers and get some normal 6.5in splits in there as there will be lots more choices and sound better.

Well I would advise against getting aftermarket 6x9 as they are designed for parcel shelves where the boot is their box. The door does not have enough volume and you probably will be disappointed. Further more they have huge magnets which will probably foul your windows. The toyota speakers are also usually held on by 3 screws so you will need to drill new holes anyways. So if you want to upgrade the fronts, make some mdf spacers and get some normal 6.5in splits in there as there will be lots more choices and sound better.

dude seriously that bug is annoying, lol (maybe just as annoying as my big pictures ? haha :P) i keep tapping my screen AND moving my mouse to make it move ahahha !

back to the topic: soo what about the rears, leave it as 6x9's ?

Just go with slimline 6x9 then if you are worried about the magnet being too big.

not fussed about size, or fitments, just lazy atm :P ! but if needed be i will do it,

really chasing the quality,

dude seriously that bug is annoying, lol (maybe just as annoying as my big pictures ? haha :P) i keep tapping my screen AND moving my mouse to make it move ahahha !

Hahaha :P Can't find the one that I had that works in the signiture area. :lol:

If you want quality, a nice set of 6.5in splits will kill 6x9s easily.

Hahaha :P Can't find the one that I had that works in the signiture area. :lol:

If you want quality, a nice set of 6.5in splits will kill 6x9s easily.

was that the mouse one that was going in like a wave formation or something ? or was that someone elses, i vaguely remember someone had em,

how about tweeters ? is there a need for that ? cos the camry didnt come stock with it

Your car has tweeters. It is just that they are stuck together with the woofer ie not splits. When you get a set of splits you get 2 woofers, 2 tweeters.

how about tweeters ? is there a need for that ? cos the camry didnt come stock with it

I thought you had a Sportivo, which is why I thought you had splits in the front. There should be 2 spots in the front of the car, where the windscreen meets where you should be able to mount some aftermarket tweeters.

Jaycar (Response) splits are a great value for money set; and yes Anthony they aren't your setup but some of us aren't as picky as others.

Also, nothing is as annoying as your huge images. Nothing.

Lol I didnt say anything about them :P Was talking non splits vs splits and there are more choices for splits in the normal round shape :P

Lol I didnt say anything about them :P Was talking non splits vs splits and there are more choices for splits in the normal round shape :P

Oh, it was more of a pre-emptive strike on any potential quality argument!

Also, nothing is as annoying as your huge images. Nothing.

:g: alright ill start down sizing my images,

I thought you had a Sportivo, which is why I thought you had splits in the front. There should be 2 spots in the front of the car, where the windscreen meets where you should be able to mount some aftermarket tweeters.

found it, the two rectangle spots, :] !

-_- more audio homework to be done !

thanks a bunch, this really opened my eyes as to simply just getting the 6x9 speakers,