Speedooooh

METAL13

So default the car is 4 Km/h out (do 100 on speedo and you really are only doing 96 )

But since i have added new Rims/Tires the speedo is now 6 Km/h out and its just sheetz me no end.... (110 Km/H on speedo now is 103 Km/h)

Can the speedo be re-calibrated ?

Ive asked the dealership and they so "no" in an arrogant tone, probably because i tell them what then F needs to happen when they fix my car (forever getting the same warranty repairs done >_> )

Car is 2009 Aurion ATX.

Thanks, Steele.

I'm not too sure about internal re-calibration with respect to adjusting the the cluster itself, since this would be where the main error is as the ECU actually sees a different value than the cluster displays, however a kit like this might be something to look at:

Jaycar - Speedo Corrector MkII Kit

Edit: Damn Trent, you beat me to it while I was busy typing.

The Aurions can't be internally calibrated like the Fords and Holdens. The QLD police have to run a seperate digital speedo which is calibrated every 6 months in order to overcome this. This allows them to use it as a reference and fine you if they are driving beside you and you are speeding.

I previously used the Jaycar kit previously in my VT Commodore (cheapest option at the time).

Once properly installed and tuned (using a GPS) I found it was accurate, however it results in a very obvious delay when your speedo reacts to changes in speed.

Also below certain speeds (I think was around 30km/h) the speedo sometimes acted like it wasn't getting a signal at all, or would jump from 0 to 30km/h in an instant. Be aware also this was a V6 VT Commodore, so 0-30km time was usually around 5-10 seconds :P

So default the car is 4 Km/h out (do 100 on speedo and you really are only doing 96 )

But since i have added new Rims/Tires the speedo is now 6 Km/h out and its just sheetz me no end.... (110 Km/H on speedo now is 103 Km/h)

Can the speedo be re-calibrated ?

Ive asked the dealership and they so "no" in an arrogant tone, probably because i tell them what then F needs to happen when they fix my car (forever getting the same warranty repairs done >_> )

Car is 2009 Aurion ATX.

Thanks, Steele.

My speedo reads low too, it's just how it is.

I suppose theoretically I could put slightly bigger diameter rims and tyres and this will bring the speedo read a truer speed....?

Thanks, Steele.

You could always be cheeky and tell the dealer you'd like to get compensation for purchasing a product which is faulty. Or compensate you for how much the speedo component of the instrument cluster costs because it's obviously about as useful as tits on a bull.

Call consumer affairs because the speedometer doesn't do what it's suppose to do i.e. tell you YOUR SPEED.

:spiteful: :spiteful: :spiteful:

Thanks, Steele.

You could always be cheeky and tell the dealer you'd like to get compensation for purchasing a product which is faulty. Or compensate you for how much the speedo component of the instrument cluster costs because it's obviously about as useful as tits on a bull.

Call consumer affairs because the speedometer doesn't do what it's suppose to do i.e. tell you YOUR SPEED.

Oh yeah that will be real effective.

Hello consumer affairs? My car's speedo was reading within the accuracy permitted by the ADRs however after I changed my wheel/tyre combo to a completely different size it isn't even that accurate any more and the dealer doesn't want to fix it for me!

99.9% of all car's speedos read higher than actual speed from factory, as there will always be a margin of error and they'd rather that margin be on the side that lets you KEEP your license/life

Thanks, Steele.

Oh yeah that will be real effective.

Hello consumer affairs? My car's speedo was reading within the accuracy permitted by the ADRs however after I changed my wheel/tyre combo to a completely different size it isn't even that accurate any more and the dealer doesn't want to fix it for me!

Yup! See, I knew people would agree with me! :rolleyes::whistling:

Seriously though, not much you can do unless your speedo was reading way way over the true speed eg reading 100kph when it's actually 80kph for example.

Only real option option without tinkering with your speedo is to do some calculations and work out the best sized rim/tyre combo to accurately match your speedo then source and fit them.

Apart from that, get an aftermarket speedo which uses GPS, and stay away from tunnels or you won't get a reading.

PS. High tension powerlines also do weird things to GPS based speed readings. Once got a reading of 390kph for a second or two while driving on the freeway next to the powerlines for the train.

Edited by Beep Beep

Since every car out on the road will have similar over-reading problems, does it really matter?

What I'm trying to say is that if everyone travelled at an indicated 100km/h, the result wouldn't be much different to if everyone was travelling at actually 100km/h, just that overall traffic speed would be fractionally (and not noticably) slower.

99.9% of all car's speedos read higher than actual speed from factory

I'm sure it is closer to 100% ... else cars can't be registered.

Manufacturers are only obliged to rectify inaccuracy if the displayed speed is less than actual, or greater by 10% + 4 km/h. So at an actual speed of 100km/h, the legal range to display (with genuine wheels and tyres) is 100 - 114 km/h.

Since every car out on the road will have similar over-reading problems, does it really matter?

What I'm trying to say is that if everyone travelled at an indicated 100km/h, the result wouldn't be much different to if everyone was travelling at actually 100km/h, just that overall traffic speed would be fractionally (and not noticably) slower.

In this case, if you went by your GPS, you'd be leaving everyone behind and going, "See ya suckerrrrrrrrrrrrrrsssssssssssssssssssssssss.........."

99.9% of all car's speedos read higher than actual speed from factory

I'm sure it is closer to 100% ... else cars can't be registered.

Manufacturers are only obliged to rectify inaccuracy if the displayed speed is less than actual, or greater by 10% + 4 km/h. So at an actual speed of 100km/h, the legal range to display (with genuine wheels and tyres) is 100 - 114 km/h.

Not entirely. Whilst that is the rule NOW, between 1995 - 2006ish could have 10% either above or below the actual speed. It was only the manufacturers that wished to avoid lawsuits that did the above in relation to speedy accuracy.

It's kind of interesting in a way that they've actually increased the allowable variance in speedometers. It also explains why so many people on the freeway these days drive so slowly

Not entirely. Whilst that is the rule NOW, between 1995 - 2006ish could have 10% either above or below the actual speed.

I'm referring to vehicle compliance for initial registration - hence every Aurion.