Different Mufflers

trust me negatrons car is bling bling... im actually quite scared his car will overkill my 1zz in a drag.......... (BWAHAHAHHAHAHAH as if that will ever happen, unless he turbo's or powerfc or supercharges it.... *hint hint*)

:lol:

but seriously... you would be suprised by the number of hoons (/em points @ negatron) that mod their auto cars here in melbourne

... "especially those pathetic excuse for a rally car the lancer gli's and its little brother the mirage.

However if you have a 1zz and want performance i would suggest get the "CAI" before you get the sportivo exhaust or else your not going to feel much of a gain (yet)

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

no offence i dont mean to be rude but why upgrade on a auto transmission car? Would there even be a huge if not a worth while job doing (money wise) without sounding loud and going nowhere? Its just that i have had to auto tranny cars and thats all they did even though there engines were great and torqy they just sounded too drowny because gear ratios anyway tell me too shut up if you guys want thats my 2 cents worth....

I agree that most autos are difficult to deal with when modded, but if the mods are done right, they can be fairly fruitful.

Our wagon is running just a K&N panel filter and a 2" exhaust from the factory resonator back to an Ultraflo muffler, and I've definitely noticed an improvement in low-down torque which has made the auto all the better to drive. The exhaust is only noticed when we're up it, and we still get a lovely little growl towards the upper revs, but when we're cruising its just a slightly louder hum in the background.

My preference is for a manual, but the wife only drives an auto, so we have to compromise ... the wagon will never run with the better modded manuals, and nowhere near the Stivos, but its definitely nicer than stock.

negatron your on im from melbourne so see ya next meet but remember you may not be droney but il still kik your ***** with my stivo lol :D

Pick on someone your own size :P haha~

Btw, it's not pointless to mod an Auto. Some of the quickest Supra's out there in the world are auto's.

I wouldn't mod my corolla (performance wise) anymore though because i don't find driving a beast of an auto any fun :)

Svalerko put a sportivo cat back on his 1zz and got gains proven on the dyno. I agree with you on the auto side of things buddha as an auto does drain a hell of a lot of power out of the motor. Maybe with an auto try the 2.25" diameter with a slightly more restrictive muffler to increase the back pressure a bit.

My thoughts on the matter but it could be worth a shot.

As for putting the stivo cat back on the sedan I've had a look and it does look to be the same floor plan as the hatch. Easy way to check is get the 2 side by side and measure the wheel base from stub to stub as the rest of the underside of the car is the same. But they do look pretty close. :D

That could be a good alternative, Silva, that way people could use the factory Stivo pipe to the rear axle, then just get the different muffler, most likely a cheaper option than a full system.

All models share the same wheelbase, so one would assume they're identical up to the rear axle, its only from there that the sedan and wagon share a longer rear overhang. It seems, though that the wagon (and possibly the sedan) have their fuel tanks offset to the passenger side, making my dream of a twin exhaust fall in a heap :(

... "especially those pathetic excuse for a rally car the lancer gli's and its little brother the mirage.

Be very careful which cars you bag..

Guy at work has a Mirage.. with Pod filter and full custom exhaust on his Mirage.. (manual)

If i didnt have lift he would beat me in a drag.. he pulls away from me until i hit lift.. then i scream on by

Its quite a fast little car..

what motors are in those mirages?

So far iv been successful against every mirage thats tried there luck! that be 7! 4 lady drivers and 3 guy drivers!

Oh and dont forget the Mitzi gli's who always seem to think they can take on the rollas! take your 2.4 motor and extra 20% power and shove it! It aint gonna happen! :)

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know anything about Redback or Berklee mufflers???

I know a guy who put on one of the Berklee mufflers on his 03 stivo.....It died big time!!!! Lost sh#tloads of power. Since then he has gone back to standard. No back pressure i guess.

no offence i dont mean to be rude but why upgrade on a auto transmission car? Would there even be a huge if not a worth while job doing (money wise) without sounding loud and going nowhere? Its just that i have had to auto tranny cars and thats all they did even though there engines were great and torqy they just sounded too drowny because gear ratios anyway tell me too shut up if you guys want thats my 2 cents worth....

I agree that most autos are difficult to deal with when modded, but if the mods are done right, they can be fairly fruitful.

Our wagon is running just a K&N panel filter and a 2" exhaust from the factory resonator back to an Ultraflo muffler, and I've definitely noticed an improvement in low-down torque which has made the auto all the better to drive. The exhaust is only noticed when we're up it, and we still get a lovely little growl towards the upper revs, but when we're cruising its just a slightly louder hum in the background.

My preference is for a manual, but the wife only drives an auto, so we have to compromise ... the wagon will never run with the better modded manuals, and nowhere near the Stivos, but its definitely nicer than stock.

mm...buddha..interesting....i was thinking of getting extractor and exchaust for my auto sedan..what do u recommend...i don't want something too loud...but any increase in low to mid range torque would be nice..

Why are you all going to replace your systems with the same diameter piping? 1zz go 2.25" and 2zz you go 2.5". If you really want an icrease you'll do it or if your after noise or a fancy tip and muffler you'll do whatever you want. But average Jo blo exhaust shop doesn't have a clue when it comes to our cars. :blink:

If any of you want a Sportivo cat back for your 1zz then PM me as I may just have something for you ;)

As always, you're a fountain of knowledge, Silva, but I just have one amendment ... I think in another post I think the jury was still out on whether the Stivo cat-back was of benefit to auto 1ZZ's. We only have one such case on record, though, so if another auto 1ZZ owner wants to give it a go, talk to Silva about the Stivo cat back he mentioned above.

Svalerko put a sportivo cat back on his 1zz and got gains proven on the dyno. I agree with you on the auto side of things buddha as an auto does drain a hell of a lot of power out of the motor. Maybe with an auto try the 2.25" diameter with a slightly more restrictive muffler to increase the back pressure a bit.

My thoughts on the matter but it could be worth a shot.

As for putting the stivo cat back on the sedan I've had a look and it does look to be the same floor plan as the hatch. Easy way to check is get the 2 side by side and measure the wheel base from stub to stub as the rest of the underside of the car is the same. But they do look pretty close. :D

mm......silva which muffler would recommend then?? ( a more restrictive mufflier..which type?)..

• 1 year later...

Are brand names all that really important with an exhaust on a 1zz-fe? If I chose mild-steel instead of stainless for example is there really a difference?

the diff is the looks... one shiny and the other dull...

diff between the brands is the noise level and the composition of crap that they put in the muffler to reduce the noise...