Toyota Auris TRD Supercharged

We should have a reincarnation of a TRD here in Aus, and the Auris (Corolla) is a good example to use. The body is quite stunning IMO. Though it isn't as powerful as the Sportivo and various other competitors in its league, but its still something Toyota could offer to the market, since nowadays people want smaller cars more than big cars, and small cars with extra grunt is often a bonus.

Is it really 1.6L 133kW 202Nm , the torque numbers are not that impressive, should be around 220-250? Is that a typo?

and hopeless of a TRD version in Aussie I guess.. unless they can sell it for $30K, so many european cars in that price tag range at the moment. Toyota cannot overprice this car

Edited by ben yip

in the last few years toyota hasnt really brought any car out that has much performance its kind of sad... they should bring out something with a bit of power.. well i hope they do bring this corolla out

It's very sad. Toyota Australia is playing it safe with their cars. Either that or we're getting the leftover engine from European Corolla.

As I understand it, the European Corolla is using 110kW 2ZR-FAE engine and had already discontinued the usage of 2ZR-FE.

From all the news I've read recently, it looks like many car manufacturers are starting to use Direct Injection in their small cars engine to increase power and reduce fuel consumption. If Toyota keeps selling Corollas with the same old engine we're getting now, I think they'll keep losing their customers.

The small car segment is gonna heat up in 2012 and I don't think Toyota can afford to sit on their "reliability" throne for much longer, not in the private buyer sector anyway, where fuel consumption is king. Next year we'll start seeing small cars with more power than the Corollas while using less fuel.

Edited by P_T

if economy is what toyota are looking for why not have a small capacity engine like a 1.6/1.4 in a corolla and aided by a small turbo like most european cars like vw and renult... in my opinon the jap market has died look back at the days when toyota had cars like the supra and celica, honda had the integra type r's and s2ks nissan had the 200sx those days are gone... it seems japanese makers are turning into 'eco' freaks out of the major companies theses days nissan has one real performance car which is the gtr, honda still has the civic type r but do you call that a spaceship or a fail attempt of a performance car, toyota doesnt have anything really except the aurion i think jap market has died ;( and its very sad

if economy is what toyota are looking for why not have a small capacity engine like a 1.6/1.4 in a corolla and aided by a small turbo like most european cars like vw and renult...

The whole JDM sport car just not going good

agreed, with VW Polo price at $28K with DSG, and 0-100 in 6.9... I won't choose Corolla again, and the VW Golf is light weight

There is no Civic anymore in Japan, hence no Type R in the future

New Evos and WRX is way too heavy for a sport car

Recent FIA S2000 regulations are not popular, otherwise we can see 1.6 Turbo on the streets..

I really like JDM cars as Eurpoean cars are quite expensive to modify and maintain, and reliability is a problem

FD86 is our only JDM hope, but to be honest, it will disappoint me

There is no Civic anymore in Japan, hence no Type R in the future

Where did you get that idea from? Honda still make Civics, and they still sell them in Japan. There is no current Type R model because the Civic is smack bang in the middle of a changeover (and the failure of the old K20 engine to comply with EuroV) - trust me, they are still developing a new Type R. It is common for the sports model not to be released at the same time as the base models, usually it is 6-12 months afterwards.

New Evos and WRX is way too heavy for a sport car

They have put on weight, yes, but they aren't "too heavy". A lot of it comes down to suspension tune more than actual weight - take a look at the GTR for instance, ~1750kg and yet it is one of the quickest road cars around.

Recent FIA S2000 regulations are not popular, otherwise we can see 1.6 Turbo on the streets..

S2000 is 2.0L N/A, not 1.6L turbo. You're getting confused with the WRC regs, which are basically S2000 but with 1.6L turbos instead.

Jap market is not dead, they still have many interesting cars that we don't get here for some reason. Mainly emission I think.

I saw a black turbocharged Caldina in Alexandria and it was probably the sexiest wagon I've seen.

Fair enough, but they still make them there, and there is plenty of demand for Type R models in the rest of the world. Hell, the FN2 was even made in England and EXPORTED to Japan (along with other countries, including Australia).

Hey i think you all need to check out this link on the Toyota.com.au website. Its coming http://www.toyota.com.au/ft86?WT.ac=HPBSL3FT-86

Yeah, the concept looks good. Most concept do.

But look at the spy shots.

http://www.tune86.com/ft-86-news/14731-new-ft-86-spy-shots

Looks a bit bland to be honest. A bit better with the lip, skirts and rear spoiler but still nowhere near as exciting as the concept. Don't like the angle of the windscreen, doesn't look sleek.

Hey i think you all need to check out this link on the Toyota.com.au website. Its coming http://www.toyota.com.au/ft86?WT.ac=HPBSL3FT-86

Yeah, the concept looks good. Most concept do.

But look at the spy shots.

http://www.tune86.com/ft-86-news/14731-new-ft-86-spy-shots

Looks a bit bland to be honest. A bit better with the lip, skirts and rear spoiler but still nowhere near as exciting as the concept. Don't like the angle of the windscreen, doesn't look sleek.

Its the engine specs that im waiting for

Its the engine specs that im waiting for

It's Subaru's boxer engine so it's probably around 200kW and 350-400Nm torque.

Anyway, back to Corolla... There haven't been any news about 2012 Corolla so I'm hoping it's because they have something new to introduce. Either that or they really don't have anything new to show.

• 1 month later...