4ABHGE's Red Lunch Box - Goners!

4ABHGE

Passing GTR's and WRX's and getting TX3 drivers mad.

I had an issue with the R888's, not only was the weather cold, but they're just too big for the car and i couldn't warm them up regardless of what tyre pressure I ran. This caused them to be really snappy and unpredictable which made the car a handful all day... it was pretty fun though :P

The A1RM's pulled up better than anything I have ever experienced, felt great braking later than all sorts off cars! :D

But, I wasn't happy with my suspension setup, the front is rolling around too much compared to the rear and the grip is too high for the springs so the nose is diving and the car is rolling too much through the corners for my liking.

Corolla always make people mad on race track.

My R888 does not warm up at the back. R888 is not a forgiving tyre. Your snappy feeling and unpredictable feeling is normal. but when I get used to it, it is quite easy to drive..

A1RM is good. I only use it on the track, I changed to normal one on the street, glad that you like it as well

Looking at your times, look like you are still learning your car, or is it lots of traffic?

For the front suspension, looking at the picture, and compare my one on the same corner, I think your suspension is too soft, it is really rolling

427241_458550904166062_2032364478_n.jpg

310637_10150909733030697_995011297_n.jpg

305731_10150909733245697_122143976_n.jpg

Fix your whatever in your car and be ready for next one. Looking forward to you

I hope you can supply the video of your driving, especially I want to see the behaviour of your car in terms of suspension

Edited by ben yip

Rear sway is tight as tight can be, I have a hunch its coming from the drivers side bearing now... i need to suss it out

Sorry Ben, I have a video but cant post it up due to other reasons, youll have to come to vic to see it :P

I had a few issues with traffic and people not letting me past, also heaps of people were spinning out so the yellows were flashing alot.

Ive got a few suspension upgrades and a few other goodies coming in the next few days which should solve most of my issues, lets hope the lap times drop some more ;)

So like totally yeah...

IMGP0453.jpg

IMGP0454.jpg

IMGP0450.jpg

Also, found the little biatch knock coming from my rear drivers side caliper - everything is tight but the top half wobbles, slider pin things worn maybe?

Oddly enough, The new spring rates are 10/8k whereas the ones before them are 6/4k. They seem to be working alot better with the car and the shocks and surprisingly have a very comfortable ride (dafuq?) the car is more planted, stable, easier to drive and much more predictable on the limit of grip. Very happy with them! :)

a suprise to me that u used 6/4 before..i used 4/4 and set the coilover to the hardest and the car is undrivable on the street because it is too bumpy.....also,my car is 200kg heavier..

is there something wrong with your coilover? also,if u change your spring rate.the valve of thre shocks need to be readjusted

regarding your tyre.funny that the tyre mark is still there

a suprise to me that u used 6/4 before..i used 4/4 and set the coilover to the hardest and the car is undrivable on the street because it is too bumpy.....also,my car is 200kg heavier..

is there something wrong with your coilover? also,if u change your spring rate.the valve of thre shocks need to be readjusted

I guess it comes down to 2 things, the valving in the shock and the suspension geometry. The shocks were overly stiff for the springs, I know this because its soft one moment and stiff the next... And since my roll centre is so far below ground it needs a stiffer spring to compensate said geometry woes.

Also I was told that these were the stiffest springs I could go before I needed a re-valve, apparently you can go +or- 4 kg and was recommended by Bazda to go to these rates, bloke knows his stuff!

Far out you work qucikly and install it fast. Make me look bad.........

Your work ethic is bad and you should feel bad. zoidberg.jpg

Crappy dirty pics of lowness

IMGP0476.jpg

IMGP0479.jpg

Edited by 4ABHGE

I guess it comes down to 2 things, the valving in the shock and the suspension geometry. The shocks were overly stiff for the springs, I know this because its soft one moment and stiff the next... And since my roll centre is so far below ground it needs a stiffer spring to compensate said geometry woes.

Also I was told that these were the stiffest springs I could go before I needed a re-valve, apparently you can go +or- 4 kg and was recommended by Bazda to go to these rates, bloke knows his stuff!

IMGP0476.jpg

IMGP0479.jpg

It is because i am not young and strong anymore......Old age hits very hard.......

Another day at winton! :cool:

Got there as soon as the gates opened at 7 and were the first to pick a spot. Swapped the tyres over and just did usual maintenance checks as per usual to get ready for the day.

IMGP0622.jpg

IMGP0619.jpg

Sitting purdy

There was a slight mix up with the groupings so I only got an outlap and inlap in the first session when I took a friend around but immediately I could tell that the car felt very different to last time, alot more grip and predicability. Brought it in and refined my tyre pressures, and found my oil cap was leaking because I didnt tighten it properly lol

IMGP0662.jpg

Got the full second session. The group had a mix of cars, but got held up by an XR8 and Mitsu Starion. Unfortunately after my hot lap my fire extinguisher came loose and was flying around the cabin so I called it a sesh...

Considering I was aiming for a 46er I was stoked when I found out I had done a 1:45.7

IMGP0700.jpg

In the third session I further refined my tyre pressures, adjusted the rear shocks to an increase oversteer tendency and then removed the passenger seat because racecar. Also, I had a massive powersteering leak so my dad cut his sock and put it over my PS reservoir LOLLOLL it did the job.

Ended up pushing a bit harder but the brake fluid was going spongey and lacked feel. The session ended and I pulled a 1:45.2 another improvement!!

IMGP0723.jpg

hardparking at the racetrack

IMGP0724.jpg

dad's sock ahahah

IMGP0726.jpg

because racecar.

IMGP0735.jpg

The car was feeling great, the suspension was feeling spot on but the brake fluid was letting the car down. So we gave it a quick bleed at the front and that gave me so much more confidence. I took the car out in the last session and realised I didnt have to brake from turn 2 through the sweeper until the first hairpin! the car suspension was amazing. But the day was starting to cool and I thought I had less grip when in actual fact I was pushing the car harder than ever!

IMGP0739.jpg

IMGP0743.jpg

IMGP0789.jpg

I finished the fourth session with a new PB of 1:44.4420 !!!! my jaw dropped when I was told and I couldnt wipe the smile off my face :D

It was an amazing day that was run quite smoothly, nobody had any big dramas and were all able to drive home. Thanks to OzRenault and MelbS15 for organizing the day, particularly OzRenault for giving me a spot, thanks!! :)

Here are my session times:

Session 1:

2:07.3700

Session 2:

2:03.8470

1:46.6950

1:47.2190

1:46.9760

1:45.7900

2:15.2810

Session 3:

2:19.6380

1:48.1490

1:46.0770

1:45.2730

1:45.5530

1:45.3980

1:45.9910

Session 4:

2:10.9650

1:49.3890

1:46.3310

1:44.8000

1:44.7940

1:44.4420

1:50.9360

real quick, i cannot believe this time, even faster or equivalent to a sportivo time...

that shows the importance of the weight of the car

good work

Edited by ben yip

real quick, i cannot believe this time, even faster or equivalent to a sportivo time...

that shows the importance of the weight of the car

good work

Thanks Ben!! The small changes in the setup made it miles better than before

oooo dont tell Bway.. i think his best is a 1:44 in his race car :o

:o

3rd sesh look so nice and neat with the 1.4x

Thanks Jeff! :D

Just did a comp test on the motor fearing it was on the way out due to smoking a fair bit.

Results are:

210 200 210 195

Motor seems good to stay in and race for a bit longer!

IMGP0476.jpg

IMGP0479.jpg

hey justin... i didnt know u drove a landcruiser :P