Where to get a shell for the key?

Hi guys,

I got a issue here, i have 2 sets of the keys however the shell on both have cracked.

Any idea where to get some replacements? The modules and the key itself is fine, only the shell isn't.

I called toyota and they wanted $300-400 for each key.

Thanks

Hi guys,

I got a issue here, i have 2 sets of the keys however the shell on both have cracked.

Any idea where to get some replacements? The modules and the key itself is fine, only the shell isn't.

Thanks

try ebay dude,

looking to get genuine if possible, ebay seem to have the knockoffs..

Hi guys,

Thanks

try ebay dude,

looking to get genuine if possible, ebay seem to have the knockoffs..

Well if you don't wan't "knock-offs" and prefer genuine, then you have just answered the question as to where to obtain them from.

• 5 months later...

I would be able to do a genuine one for around $250 per key or an after market one for $150, the after market ones look the same as the genuine and are of the same quality.

holy... #@$^#!$^#!$% 250 for genuine seems cheap but 150 bucks for an aftermarket one???

i cracked one of them and recenly got one from ebay for like 3 bucks. its the new style one flip type as i thought if i get a genuine one will just happen again. cut for 10 bucks and move the transponder over. BOBS YA UNCLE!

btw... nice thread revival -_-

btw... nice thread revival -_-

Thanks, I was bored last night :)

And $150 for after market, that price cut and coded to the car, some of them the transponder is part of the central locking remove others it is glued into the shell. When I cut them I don't just copy your worn out key I cut them back to factory so you get a better product in the end, so $150 is a good price.

Thing is your key barrel is worn to what your key was. Going back to brand new, can mean its sticky, OR it works for driver door but not ignition barrel, happens all te time when we cut a key from the code cause the customer loses their keys..

Forums to help ppl. Not to make money from them

how about at least being a supporter for the club before you start advertising what you do for profit?

No one is going to come to me to do it, I'm just saying how much you can get it done for, if you go to Toyota with the correct part number you will be able to get it done for the same price too, or you can just keep getting ripped off?

Thing is your key barrel is worn to what your key was. Going back to brand new, can mean its sticky, OR it works for driver door but not ignition barrel, happens all te time when we cut a key from the code cause the customer loses their keys..

Forums to help ppl. Not to make money from them

I do this every week for the local dealers, sometimes though you are right, especially with Commodores, when ever I have to make keys to these the ignition nearly always has to be replaced.

I bought 2 flip key shell cases for ZZE keys+transponder from eBay, just like Kenshin. About $20 shipped from HKG.

Had it cut for $15. Perfect cut. Transponder fits nicely inside. However, it can't open the boot. It's not a genuine Toyota shell casing... But f*%k me it should be 😁

I bought 2 flip key shell cases for ZZE keys+transponder from eBay, just like Kenshin. About $20 shipped from HKG.

Had it cut for $15. Perfect cut. Transponder fits nicely inside. However, it can't open the boot. It's not a genuine Toyota shell casing... But f*%k me it should be

You can get Master and valet blanks, the Valet wont open the glove box or the boot, at a guess I would say that you either got a Valet blank or the lock needs a clean out for it to work properly, a good flush with wd-40 normally does this and saves pulling it apart, I would say it's the lock though as I doubt it would be an after market valet key.

I didn't realise that it was a hatch so your right, a valet key won't make any difference for the hatch, it will be an issue with the lock or possibly the key if it was copied from a worn key. The hatch will still have the valet key as this wont work in the glove box and also can't be used to program new keys or remotes to the car.

It opens the driver door and can drive with it. Just can't open the boot. I don't use the key to open the doors anyway. That's what the remote is for 😜

The transponder part of the key is reused. Just simply pop it in the new case.

I just droped into my local lock and key shop, they had aftermarket key case identical to my old key case minus the toyota symbol on the back, droped my buttons into the new one, cut the key, $12 later new key and case working in all locks. Was a little sticky in the barrel for a day or 2, but been no drama's since then.

That price seems cheap, they wont be making any money on them at that price. Was that the Locksmith in Darwin city?

Edited by (mr2)

I have used the back part from the original Toyota remote and put it on the after market one, fit perfectly..... almost like they came from the same factory.....

And none of my originals have the Toyota symbol glued on the back, they are all embedded into the plastic.

Edited by (mr2)

instead of starting my own thread, and clogging up the forum.

may as well ask here since its related.

I am a similar situation however, I have the Original Key, and Original case, however the chip/button is gone/missing. So What are my options?

Key ppl can make a button copy frlom an my Primary and fit it into its shell? I'm assuming thats what ppl are doing, that are buying empty shells from Ebay, as they are sourcing the button/chip from somewhere?

They are getting the shells from ebay because either the metal part of their key has broken or worn out, so the key no longer works properly. Toyota spare parts think that you can only buy a complete key which is around $450 by the time you buy the complete key, get it cut and coded into the car, but Toyota do sell just the part of the shell with the key blade in it for around the $100 mark, Toyota just don't know that they sell it like that :)

If you don't have the buttons you can buy just that part of the key head, some of the keys have the transponder glued in the side of the head, others have it integrated into the remote part, if you want I can put up some pictures showing the difference.

I did a pricecheck for just the remote part on a new Corolla ( they are all around the same price, there are only 2 types/ frequencys of the intergrated heads that I can think of) and that's $270 for just the part.To code these in you will need a master key though, so do you have another remote key or are you using the gray key? if you only have the gray then it gets a little more tricky.

you don't need new key blades... if you want genuine you have to pay genuine money, otherwise for about $80 - $100 you can get one from a locksmith and just transfer the guts over... the trick would be to get it tuned to the car so you'd be looking about $60 each one so yeah, $150 for non genuine seems about right...

Stewbie, the blade ( metal part) is formed in the plastic of the shell and most the time its the metal part that needs replacing. You can also get just the buttons from Toyota but these don't really break, unless you got the key head with the rubber buttons but they aren't made any more.