Auto or Manual

C.Y

Doesn't paddle shift come with the auto?

Yes.

Both will be fun to drive, as for once the auto is under your control (unless the engine is going to stall or a downshift will put you over the redline). There will be an auto premium.

I'm going manual ...

I will want to test drive both just to see how good the paddle shift is and then just get the manual, cant bring out a cars full potential unless its manual

AUR15

I will want to test drive both just to see how good the paddle shift is and then just get the manual, cant bring out a cars full potential unless its manual

AUR15

Agreed .... However i've heard there is not much difference between the auto and manual for this car. (beside the obvious of using the clutch to control driving style)

Good to see that no one has posted ... "auto for sure" :)

These days it's not about potential anymore, it's the experience. DSGs, paddle-shifts etc are getting faster than traditional manuals and to some extent replicating the experience (ie no 'Drive' mode or torque converter slip etc) of a manual, but there are still people out there (me included) who enjoy the pure mechanical feel, control and connection to the car you get with a proper manual gearbox, and performance be damned.

So... we are talking about which is more enjoyable, Auto or manual, right?

Because that's exactly my point, the computer can calculate several thousand times when to shift and in less time I would do. But the con is, you are not shifting the gears...

I'll go for the paddle shifts, because if I want to thrash it, I want to do it real quick like it was a supercar. And when I dont want to do it, I'll like to drive quietly and smothly like Miss Daisy.

Auto man..

Cheers

AB

Even the smartest auto will never change exactly when you want it to in all situations. As for sequentials etc, if I wanted to change gear with a button or a paddle I'd boot up my XBox and play Forza. It's not just about changing gears when you want to, it's the combination of pressing the clutch pedal, lifting off (or not lifting off) the accelerator and slotting the lever into place, all at exactly the right time - every gear change is a skilled operation, and the sense of satisfaction you get from maximising your own physical skills beats pushing a button hands down every day of the week for me. Even driving to and from work every day I heel-toe, because I can. It's a dying art these days, unfortunately.

* dump the clutch and spin through 1st, 2nd, and maybe 3rd

* double clutch when down shifting ... Putting u @ the exact rev range when exiting a corner

* lifting off the acccelerator and letting the flywheel do the work when slowing to a pace

* no loss of power to wheels through the torque converter

So a combination of all the above @ places like putty road makes the manuals more fun and outweights the pain suffered in peak hour traffic :)

• Like 1

i guess it really depends what you plan on using the car for. as an everyday car the auto would be a better bet as let’s be honest this thing is going to be somewhat rotary like to drive in the way it has **** all torque and way up where you can’t even use it on your way to work. if you just want it for a weekend car to have a bit of a fang by yourself on a back road or track hen the manual is by far the way to go. Although if you was getting serious with your tracking then you'd go for the faster weapon even if that happens to be a paddle shift auto otherwise what’s the point again?

& like everything in life its different strokes for different blokes, changing gears for me is just something you do to keep you going or to get you to that next corner whilst i can heel/toe and do it quite often every time i drive a V8 commie it just isn’t something that gets me off beastly carless for it. i much prefer the thrill of picking your braking limit and finding the right line and powering out of it picking the gar to match the speed is just something that comes naturally and not something i give a second thought too. However i know for other people it’s the other way around so each to their own really. If there was a DSG tranny available i feel it would be a no brainer which tranny would be the most popular.

• Like 1

its a toyota, so the auto will be really sh!t...

if they really wanted to do something good, they should have used the ZF box... the new ones are soooo tasty! :D

either way, manual would be the only way to go. you cant have a 2dr sports coupe in auto unless its german and comes with an amazing gearbox. :D

if they really wanted to do something good, they should have used the ZF box... the new ones are soooo tasty! :D

either way, manual would be the only way to go. you cant have a 2dr sports coupe in auto unless its german and comes with an amazing gearbox. :D

uhuh but remember the gearbox's are modified Lexus Sourced units not ones out of corolla or thankfully Subaru haha

Have you driven an IS-F?

If not, you won't know how this transmission is tuned ... and how fun it will be.

Have you driven an IS-F?

If not, you won't know how this transmission is tuned ... and how fun it will be.

Even the tranny in the F Sports are tuned really well. Hell in the new Atara's in performance mode using the paddles are a handy bit of gear. Gives you the gear you select with out delay, blips the throttle on the down shifts.

i have drive the IS-F. i'd forgotten about it to be honest because its the only gearbox in the toyota/subaru line up that is any good. the rest of them are ****house..

and to be honest, i'd be surprised if they use the same gearbox as the IS-F. i cant see how it would be cost effective enough for them.