Is this a fair price?

My 1996 4cyl Camry got rammed from behind last week and it looks like its going to be a writeoff (it's getting asessed tomorrow)

I've got my eye on a 2010 SX Aurion Sportivo with less than 20 000klms.

I've called and made an offer etc (subject to a test drive etc) and have come to a price of $28 200 - Drive Away.

The rego exipres quite soon.

So, what do you think. Is this a fair / reasonable price ?

I assume that with my Camry, whos rego I paid in late December 2011 that I can get a money back from VicRoads?

Edited by prometheus

Red book tells you all details you need to know!

http://redbook.com.a...r&Ridx=3&eapi=2

Private Price Guide $23,500 - $26,200

Trade In Price Guide $19,100 - $21,800

Average Km 30,000 - 50,000

Price When New $40,490*

So its still a little high but if in good condition, would be a good price for what it is :)

I'm a little dissapointed at only 2 relies.

How do you expect us to say whether the price is fair or not if we can't even see the car to make a judgement on it? It's like calling your doctor and asking them to do a check on your health over the phone.

That's a fairly high price, but considering the kms on it and if it's in very good nick then I'd say it MIGHT be reasonable. However for that money you are almost in TRD Aurion territory, and at the end of the day it's just an SX6.

Being the facelift version the SX6 does come with a few more goodies than the previous model, so it's personal preference really.

Personally if they've been looked after there is very little difference between an Aurion that's done 10,000km or 100,000km. Being newer is always better but don't let the low kms convince you that it's worth paying $4000 or so extra then one that might have done 50 or 60k.

I can reply 100 times with pretty much telling you the same thing these guys said.. Any reason why you're stuck on this one? Im fairly sure you can find alot better than the one you set your eyes on.

It's a buyers market. No one pays the full asking price these days. Many sellers are willing to drop $2K on a car of that value to make a sale. Haggle! :P

Well, I had an intersting morning.

I went to the dealership that had the 2010 Aurion Sportivo SX6 and met the guy I had spoken to over the phone.

He was quite pleasant to deal with and let me take the car for a test drive.

The car was in good condition, 14 000 on the clock.

Personally I found the "Sports" suspension too firm for my liking.

When I had spoken to the salesman over the phone during the week he asked me to put a $200 holding deposit on the car via credit card. I agreed to this (in retrospect not the best decsision on my behalf).

They sent an email/attachment through to me with an invoice for "Balance Required for Settlement" minus the $200.

I explained to him that the suspension was too firm for me and that I would like to test drive a Touring model Aurion to compare.

He was cool with this and passed me on to another guy that was in new car sales as they had a few 2011 Touring Aurions available at

$30 888 Drive away.

I took the Touring Aurion for a test drive and found the suspension more comfortable and more to my liking.

When I got back I had a chat with the new cars guy and made an offer of $29k.

Well, I got the shpeil that one would expect. "We are making a loss on the car .... yadda yadda yadda.

He and later his "manager" seemed to be suprised that the suspension on the Touring model would be different to that of the

SX6.

Now correct me if I'm wrong, but the Touring model suspension IS different from the SX6.

Even the "Manager" argued that this wasn't the case and that the suspension setup was the same.

At this stage I was starting to get a bit of a headache (the drinks after work last night didn't help).

They even went as far as saying that with the $200, I had effectively purchased the SX6 .... yeah sure ....

The new cars salesman then asks; "would you buy it today if we took $800 off. So I assume this would bring it down to $28 200 drive away.

I considered this for a minute and the decided that I best have a think about it.

After all, the Touring model will most likely still be there on Tuesday (Monday being a public holiday)

I will be calling the dealership on Tuesday and asking for my $200 back.

Whethere I go ahead with the 2011 Touring model remains to be decided on and at $28 000 I would give it serious consideration.

After all, its a 2011 model, they are effectively being run out. The new 2012 is out a later this year.

Other dealerships are also advertising their 2011 Touring models at $30 888

So, I have some thinking to do.

They're trying to trick you into thinking you have no choice but to buy a car because of the deposit. This is illegal or at the very least an extremely dodgy business practice and I personally would steer clear of such a place that would do such a thing.

A deposit is only binding when paired with a SIGNED contract for sale. Simply making a deposit does not forgo this legal requirement and the dealer is trying to trick you into making you thinking you are already obliged to make a purchase. In many states you are entitled to a certain percentage of the deposit back if you decide not to make a purchase, I'm not sure what it is in Victoria unfortunately.

Further you have a 3 day cooling off period, but you don't get all your money back if you change you mind (this also varies in amount state to state).

I sense nothing but troubles will arise from dealing with these people and my advice would be to steer clear. You're already looking at the (very) higher end of the spectrum for these cars, better bargains can be found elsewhere.

Yes, they certainly tried to put the pressure on at one point they were saying that I had "bought a car" and could either buy the SX6 that I drove or another car.

I mean seriously .... don't ***** on my leg and tell me its raining, chaps.

I sent them an email this afternoon with a copy of the "invoice" and a request to refund my money by COB Wednesday.

I got an email back saying that the matter will be referred to the used car manager.

If they don't play fair, I will refer the matter to Consumer Affairs and any other legal avenue that is available.

Furthermore, with the internet being what it is, dealers should realise that their shenanigans can be posted about and bad reputations can spread far and wide.

I will be posting on how this matter pans out.

Edited by prometheus

A stated above, it isnt a legal binding cotract unless you have a copy and signed copy of the original document stating you put a deposit on the vehicle you are intrested in.

My dad says you can also goto the State Ombudsman or Motor Traders Association as these places are all govened and regulated by acts of parliament and the laws apply to the sale of goods.

Check to see if there is a cooling off period too... even tho you havn't signed nothing stating that you are going to purchase it :)

Good luck!

Sold my facelift ZR6 last month, private interest from Carsales didn't start til $25k and the best dealer offer was $24k.

By that reasoning, you could have had my ZR6 with a years rego, new tyres, serviced and stamp duty for $26,500 in VIC ...

That's fairly high mileage for 2 years.

That's within (but at the high end of) the redbook mileage range.

There is a big difference between 48,000 city km versus highway km, yet you didn't ask ...

In Australia, the average is 20,000km per year.

There is a big difference between 48,000 city km versus highway km, yet you didn't ask ..

Yes, there IS a big difference between doing 48, 000 klms in 2 years mainly on the Highway/Freeway versus in City traffic.

The thing is; you know that its been mainly on the highway/freeway but I, as a potential buyer would have to take your word for it and then try to verify this by looking at the cars condition and so on.

Having been what I've been through so far; and I only have been looking for about a week; and being that car dealers sell cars every day while I buy a car once every ten years or so; the advantage (psycologically and otherwise) rests with the salesman at the dealership.

Therefore I feel that I sort of have to adapt the attitude of "guilty until proven innocent" ... in a polite way of course, until the words of the salesman match up with what one sees in terms of concrete verifiable evidence.

In other words ... "Yeah mate, no worries, it was driven by a nun a couple of times a week through the country parish" must be taken with a huge grain on salt and said nun must be assumed to be a character from someones imagination until proven otherwise.

Basically; when it comes to money .... you can't trust anyone on face value and words alone.

I have had my TRD nearly 2 years......

..... 120,000 km (ODO is at 135,000 km at the moment) :wacko:

I'm not after resale. This car is going to be stuck with me for a while.

I have had my TRD nearly 2 years......

..... 120,000 km (ODO is at 135,000 km at the moment) :wacko:

I'm not after resale. This car is going to be stuck with me for a while.

Might be worth installing a bed and fridge as it sounds like you're practically living in it !