Even more sound deadening....

TRD468

Hi guys, i don't know if you realise but the aurion lacks sound deadening. Most of the noise i hear is tyre roar, not engine noise. (i think the engine is very quiet) About 6 months ago i took all the wheels and fender well plastics off and applied some sound deadening material which sticks on. (rubbery type of material from supercheap auto) I had noticed a 5-10 decibel decrease in tyre road noise which was fairly good, but i still want to cut abit more of that noise out. Yesterday i pulled the carpet up on the drivers side and applied some more of this stuff to the floor. (from front of drivers seat all the way up behind the dash) I shall be doing this to all 4 corners, and share some pics. Once it is all done i will let you know what the outcome is. This very easy to do by the way, all you have to do is remove the plastic trim where the door frames are, remove some wire harness clips, and pull up the carpet. But i shall show you it all when i get some pics.

what material are you using?

Dynamat isn't that great for reducing road noise, the purpose of it is to reduce resonance caused by a speaker and to seal up service holes to provide an enclosure for your woofers.

Have a search for MLV as it is much better for blocking out road noise.

Nah mate this is not dynamat, i went to the bloke at supercheap and asked for some sound deadening material, and he ordered this stuff in. It is also used as like a heat shield, but also good as a sound deadener.

• Like 1

I will be interested to hear what difference this makes. I used dynamat on my wheel arches without any noticeable improvement in noise levels.

The tyre noise on course bitumen is the one thing that I do not like about the Aurion.

So these are the plastics that i removed, and thats basically where i put the sound deadening. I also applied some on the pillar where the seat belt is as there are some gaps and no previous sound deadening.

post-22006-0-98698400-1332405975_thumb.j

post-22006-0-34071400-1332405987_thumb.j

post-22006-0-25815300-1332406025_thumb.j

post-22006-0-18410800-1332406033_thumb.j

post-22006-0-81687500-1332406049_thumb.j

post-22006-0-42155600-1332406058_thumb.j

post-22006-0-59172300-1332406068_thumb.j

Good luck with the job!

The Aurion is definitely noisy. I drove my dad's 1997 TF Magna a couple of months ago and noticed how quiet it was compared to the Aurion. I travel on the same road at the same speed with the Aurion and both cars have the same tyre brand/model (Toyo Transas Teo), so definitely it's the sound deadening in the Aurion!

Edited by SilverProdigy

yes i have the same problem, everytime i jump into the BMW it is 100% quieter, hopefully this will work, i will let you guys know when i drive on the rough stuff.

I did the rear as well, i took the rear seat out and did under there, and now the floor is fully covered. Got the results today, im am getting 57-62 DB when driving on the M7 at 100km/h (2000rpm) without the deadening it was at 70-75 DB on same road and speed and rpm. Solid improvement, the car hasn't got as much tyre roar, on gravel roads at like 90km/h im getting 70 DB depends. All is good :D

• 1 year later...

Is there anyone in the West or North of Melbourne that would be able to do work on making an Aurion quieter on the road?

Sometimes I am quite surprised at how noisy my Aurion can be.

Granted, it is mostly tyre roar on co**** roads but even the engine noise can be intrusive.
I dare say that my old 1996 Camry was a quieter car, particularly when it was relatively new.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...