See what the Pulsar owners are saying

Well boyz, i dont think a non-turbo sr20 would stand a chance against the stivo, i think its more like sr20 vs 1zzfe race. My friend just recetly brought a SSS and im waiting to race him, i recon he will win after 70kph. But yeh it will be interesting to see how the results go.

Can some tell me how to make a good launch on an aumatic 1zzfe...i usually drop it to drive from nuetral at 6000rev only worked for me once, all the other times the take off was pretty ordinary.

Also does a hand break launch really work?? coz for me it doesnt....

:blink::blink::blink: tell me tell me tell me

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can some tell me how to make a good launch on an aumatic 1zzfe...i usually drop it to drive from nuetral at 6000rev only worked for me once, all the other times the take off was pretty ordinary.

:blink:  :blink:  :blink:  tell me tell me tell me

:huh: Umm, I wouldn't do that again unless you want to buy a new transmission.

Left Foot brake, accelerate to the point of the car creaping forward under brakes, your ready, then step off the brake pedel sideways (slip your foot off the pedal to be quicker) and floor it at the same time.

Dropping the transmission into drive whilst revving will only kill it.

one of the guys said...

"great motor, bad gear ratio's, and it needs to loose some weight"

that is true.

SR20 std gearbox are good for sprints.

60km rolling start... they're not far if not equal to a stivo...

i lost against one the other night, it moves with huge torque. They have my respect.

Well boyz, i dont think a non-turbo sr20 would stand a chance against the stivo, i think its more like sr20 vs 1zzfe race.

that is not entirely true, depends on what the SR20DE is in.

N13 Pulsar with a SR20DE, i think it'll be close call vs. a stivo... as most have mods done to it....

the kerb weight of them things compared to a 1zz or 2zz is like comparing an euro car to an jap car... so i think the weight in our cars makes us suffer in some cases.... they'll be head to head from stand still to about say 120~130... then that's when the stivo would dominate.

the N13 i ran the other night, rolling start at about 70, it took off like a stivo hitting lift.... to about 120 thats when it became average (about 5000rpm on a 1zz) and that's when i pulled up again.... gain a little... but had not enough juice to overtake... up to about 175km

again... this is personal experience with that N13, not to say all N13s are good tho. :) i've taken a few already off the mark... but some are nicely done... respect them... and show them the mightly moded stivo then they'll show their respect too....

test and tune i say... :) who's up?

:blink:  :blink:  :blink:  tell me tell me tell me

:huh: Umm, I wouldn't do that again unless you want to buy a new transmission.

Left Foot brake, accelerate to the point of the car creaping forward under brakes, your ready, then step off the brake pedel sideways (slip your foot off the pedal to be quicker) and floor it at the same time.

Dropping the transmission into drive whilst revving will only kill it.

IZZ-FE's method is the one I use to reasonably good effect (Conquest wagon being one of the heavier 1ZZ models) ... all I need now is some more power to make use of it ... hmmm

This has been talked about quite a bit before about the Pulsars.  The SSS stock is nothing compared to modern cars/engine technology nowadays.  They "were" quick bcuz of their weight/power/torque but its nothing special now. 

The Pulsar that really impressed me was the Pulsar VZR N1 version in Japan which makes 147kw (200bhp) from 1600cc, redlines at 8500rpm and killed the EK Civic TypeR but was a limited run and much more expensive than TypeR.  The also have a VZR version making "just" 180bhp (135kw) from 1600cc.  And of course the AWD turbo Pulsar Gti-R but these never made it here except now they have greys.

There really is no comparison if you say stock vs stock.  I raced against a modified NX Coupe which has the SSS's SR20 and 1st gear up to 6000rpm we were side by side then LIFT kicked in and i was away.

Then if you say modified well there are way too many modified cars out there quicker than the Stivo and Pulsar  ;)

Did you watch a video of a race between the Civic Type R and that Pulsar? It was in japanese of course, but a test on the track between the 2 cars. The pulsar ended up winning... i think u did :P

This has been talked about quite a bit before about the Pulsars.  The SSS stock is nothing compared to modern cars/engine technology nowadays.  They "were" quick bcuz of their weight/power/torque but its nothing special now. 

The Pulsar that really impressed me was the Pulsar VZR N1 version in Japan which makes 147kw (200bhp) from 1600cc, redlines at 8500rpm and killed the EK Civic TypeR but was a limited run and much more expensive than TypeR.  The also have a VZR version making "just" 180bhp (135kw) from 1600cc.  And of course the AWD turbo Pulsar Gti-R but these never made it here except now they have greys.

There really is no comparison if you say stock vs stock.  I raced against a modified NX Coupe which has the SSS's SR20 and 1st gear up to 6000rpm we were side by side then LIFT kicked in and i was away.

Then if you say modified well there are way too many modified cars out there quicker than the Stivo and Pulsar  ;)

Did you watch a video of a race between the Civic Type R and that Pulsar? It was in japanese of course, but a test on the track between the 2 cars. The pulsar ended up winning... i think u did :P

Yeh mate it's Best Motoring and was like 5-6 years ago when i was driving a Civic :D The Pulsar VZR-N1 version smashed the stock Civic TypeR but they ruled the matchup unfair because the Pulsar was over-priced and tuned to race specs with super close gear ratios etc. So they brougt in a SPOON tuned Civic TypeR and won back the "King of 1600cc" stature. And for the price of the Pulsar VZR-N1 version in Japan, SPOON can built a Civic TypeR with the Integra TypeR's 1800cc motor, that car bloody flies, up hill!

Man i miss my Civic, used to have big plans for it (either B16A2 conversion or turbo) untill i traded it for something else :(

Yeh mate it's Best Motoring and was like 5-6 years ago when i was driving a Civic :D The Pulsar VZR-N1 version smashed the stock Civic TypeR but they ruled the matchup unfair because the Pulsar was over-priced and tuned to race specs with super close gear ratios etc. So they brougt in a SPOON tuned Civic TypeR and won back the "King of 1600cc" stature. And for the price of the Pulsar VZR-N1 version in Japan, SPOON can built a Civic TypeR with the Integra TypeR's 1800cc motor, that car bloody flies, up hill!

Man i miss my Civic, used to have big plans for it (either B16A2 conversion or turbo) untill i traded it for something else :(

i knew it :P some news for you Z, the civic type r is rumored to be on sale in Australia next year. Another trade? :)

i knew it :P some news for you Z, the civic type r is rumored to be on sale in Australia next year. Another trade? :)

who's gonna buy a 40-45k EP3R civic? they cost even more than an astra turbo in the UK. and a/c is optional. euro specs, which i'm guessing they will import if they do, have no LSD and a heavier flywheel, too. CTRs aren't built elsewhere apart from swindon.

correct me if i'm wrong, it's just some food for thought.

more best motoring eh?! :P

yeah that video was awesome. had a chance to hear an SR16VE at a track day at Darlington park. neo vvl sounded just like lift :D

who's gonna buy a 40-45k EP3R civic? they cost even more than an astra turbo in the UK. and a/c is optional. euro specs, which i'm guessing they will import if they do, have no LSD and a heavier flywheel, too. CTRs aren't built elsewhere apart from swindon.

In the UK, it sells for around 22k Euros (mate of mine in the uk bought one for 18.5k) which is just under $30kAUS. Being produced in Swindon, England... by the time it gets here, who know's how much it'll cost on top of other costs as well. Yeah A/C is optional for some reason, price issues maybe. The newer 2005 model have a lighter flywheel (30% lighter if i recall correctly). If they can settle it around the 35k mark over here, i don't see why people won't buy it, now that the Corolla Sportivo has ceased production... doesn't leave too many options. It's hard (wrong?) to judge a car based on its value without driving it and just looking at paper figures.

From the numerous reviews i've read and seen in the hot hatches market, the type r always ends up a clear winner. Surely that means something doesn't it? I'm not judging anything here of course. But who knows, this may be useless to us as it may not get imported at all.

I gotta admit n15 SSS go alright. I dragged one the other week. I didnt think of him as much of a challange, so I took off easy. He was in front of me at take off. Once lift happened it was all over for him, but he still wasnt that far behind. Im sure if I did the stivo sweet spot 4k launch, I would have completely cleaned him up though.

Edited by ZAV

In the UK, it sells for around 22k Euros (mate of mine in the uk bought one for 18.5k) which is just under $30kAUS. Being produced in Swindon, England... by the time it gets here, who know's how much it'll cost on top of other costs as well. Yeah A/C is optional for some reason, price issues maybe. The newer 2005 model have a lighter flywheel (30% lighter if i recall correctly). If they can settle it around the 35k mark over here, i don't see why people won't buy it, now that the Corolla Sportivo has ceased production... doesn't leave too many options. It's hard (wrong?) to judge a car based on its value without driving it and just looking at paper figures.

From the numerous reviews i've read and seen in the hot hatches market, the type r always ends up a clear winner. Surely that means something doesn't it? I'm not judging anything here of course. But who knows, this may be useless to us as it may not get imported at all.

I think they would opt to bring in the Euro vesion for a few reasons like what they did to the Integra TypeR -> Integra TypeS.. targets a bigger audience and market. The most crucial factor for me is price, if it does come to Oz.. i'll be waiting! ;)

i raced a SSS pulsar a few weeks back not absolutly certain if it was turbo or not but i couldnt see hardly anything standard on it from the outside

anyways we had a launch from about 60km and he took off first cus i had to down gear into second while he had alread hit it

i hit lift and it was all over for him BUT he was right up my tail the whole time so it could have come down to a bad 3rd-4th change for me and he would have easily passed me but we didnt have enough road to go that far

I think they would opt to bring in the Euro vesion for a few reasons like what they did to the Integra TypeR -> Integra TypeS.. targets a bigger audience and market. The most crucial factor for me is price, if it does come to Oz.. i'll be waiting! ;)

Join the club!!!! I've got a pic of a Type R Civic on my fridge form about 2 years ago when Honda Australia were looking at importing them the same way Mitsubishi import Evo's on the low volume import scheme. If Honda could get the numbers to fit they said they'd do it but obviously it didn't happen.

But I'm waiting in earnest and if they can get them here for the right price then I'm there. ;)

Join the club!!!! I've got a pic of a Type R Civic on my fridge form about 2 years ago when Honda Australia were looking at importing them the same way Mitsubishi import Evo's on the low volume import scheme. If Honda could get the numbers to fit they said they'd do it but obviously it didn't happen.

But I'm waiting in earnest and if they can get them here for the right price then I'm there. ;)

Me too :) , I'm dying for it. Haha, we will all change over to Honda then.

Btw, are you guys talking about the EP3 Type R or the latest version of Civic which will be out in early 2006??

Edited by Cooley

Just so happens I had a run against a SSS this moring in my 03 stivo (both cars stock from what I could tell). Standing start from traffic lights, uphill where two lanes had to merge into one. This guy had been driving like an idiot swerving in and out of traffic so I thought I would show him what a real performance 4cyl can do. Both of us lauched with low revs then floored it. Race was dead even until I hit lift in first, between 6000-8000 rpm I put about 2 car lengths between us, by the time I got to the rev limiter in 2nd the SSS would have been about 10 car lengths back. I thought maybe he had given up and this was why I was so far in front, but as I backed off and slowed down he came charging up behind, so I don't think he had.

By the way, I traded an N15II SSS to by my Sportivo, so I knew the sportivo was going to be a fair but quicker.

ok now im not trying to bring up any old arguments but there is one thing that i might like ot point out just for the sake of it

i read a while back about a guy frm some country saying to launch in LIFT and its the best way to do it

now all or most of you guys were giving it to him so hard i havent seen a post from him in a while lol

anyways if weiwei launches at 5500 and says the same thing as this other guy said get it right and you take off hard and fast its got me thinking that maybe a launch at higher revs might be possible too so maybe this bloke wasnt pulling our centre leg after all

anyways i have no experience as my highest launch was at 4500 but i was trying to lose traction so i cant really say either way LOL

anyways of all people im sure AZZA will remember cus i thougt he was gonna get the next flight over to kick his ***** they were at it hard verbally lol

just thought i would bring that up agian cheers  :D

lift dont work unless you are moving or have a replacement ECU.