Sportivo Clutch slipping

hey all,

this may have been covered before but i couldn't find a thread on it.

my clutch has only just started slipping in my corolla sportivo, im not sure whether it has been changed before by the previous owner so im thinking about maybe changing it sometime within the next 15,000kms. its only slips sometimes when i lift in 1st but apart from that its fine.

could anyone recommend a replacement clutch?? and do i need a new flywheel aswell?

cheers

xtreme HD clutch. exedy gut with xtreme parts built around it.

u dont need a new flywheel. but get a new lightened flywheel while the clutch is off if your budget allows it. i got the lightened chromoly also from xtreme. i think its a couple kgs lighter. if u wanna get the lighter aluminium one then, even better 3.5kgs from memory (dyslexik has it installed in his car). be aware that u do loose torque but u will reach lift faster and rev alot quicker than the stock flywheel. i just got the chromoly to keep the drivability for my mrs :P otherwise just get the stock one machined.

FYI - i got both installed for $1400.

BTW - if u think u going to last another 15k on the stock clutch if its slipping now, ur wrong. within 500kms of it slipping i could hardly drive it at all. get it booked in asap.

It's not slipping badly, it's only happened 4 or 5 times in the past month, apart from that its fine.

Maybe 15k is a bit over exaggerated, maybe 5k along with my next service :)

What are the part numbers and websites??? :)

ok ive gone onto the xtreme website and found the zze corolla but it says its for the 1zzfe but it also says zze123 which is our sportivos????

what is the correct part number?

same clutch dics fits both, sportivo pressure plate has more clamp. The OEM toyota discs have much better dampers than the PBR or Exedy discs that xtreme use.

Oon the aftermarket discs, with "spirited driving" the damper spring retainers eventually snap and the spring falls out jamming the pressure plate so you can't disengage the clutch.

Edited by CHA54

the discs xtreme use are not as good as the OEM Asin discs in terms of damper design and strength.

I can post photo's of all the different common aftermarket clutch discs with spring retainers broken that I've pulled from Corolla's and MR2's.

same clutch dics fits both, sportivo pressure plate has more clamp. The OEM toyota discs have much better dampers than the PBR or Exedy discs that xtreme use.

Oon the aftermarket discs, with "spirited driving" the damper spring retainers eventually snap and the spring falls out jamming the pressure plate so you can't disengage the clutch.

EEEPPP!!! hope that never happens to me!

no. The "Heavy Duty" version of the exedy/xtreme/clutch industries/competition clutch/ACT pressure plates have a higher clamp force than the OEM ASIN pressure plate. A good clutch shop can uprate the OEM pressure plate to usually develop more clamp than any of the aftermarket pressure plates.

A combination I would go for is a HD Exedy pressure plate and a new OEM Asin clutch plate from a ZZT celica, this is usually too much work and costs too much for most people.

is there any other clutch that you rate over both the OEM and Exedy in the same price range?

what price range? $300-700?

Just go to MWR's site and select one. The plates with an almost fully enclosed damper spring are typically more reliable.

Edited by CHA54