Ways to increase fuel efficiency?

06 Sportivo Bloke

mate the best way I know of getting good fuel economy is make sure you tyres are inflated at the correct pressure, you car serviced at the correct intervals , use good quality oil and filters and make sure you car is propaly tuned ,use proper petrol, not that e10 sh!t.

I know Iam telling you what everyone else is telling you, but a lighter foot goes along way, that doesnt mean drive like miss daisy, but just keep economy in mind , try not to take off hard at lights etc , drive smoothly, trying and predict the traffic flow, so you dont have to stop start as often.

I know mate you said is there any devices that can increase your fuel effiency , but I cant really think of any, personally I think those fuel saving devices are a bunch of bull sh!T,all they are is a scam, the only thing maybe might be exhaust system, but im not postive on that one , someone else on this forum might know more on this forum on this subject.

The advice supplied by CROCO is spot on.

You can make little improvements by removing excess weight and so forth, however I believe the biggest gains come from the way you drive and keeping the car well maintained. Timing your driving to avoid peak hour and stop / start traffic could also provide some economy gains.

Running premium unleaded (95RON or higher) can provide some benefit but i have seen mixed opinions on this as the cost of premium sometimes negates any economy benefit.

i have a 05 Camry 3.0 V6

apart from the above mentioned. will cleaning/replacing/servicing the MAF sensor or other sensor help with fuel economy?

When filling up at the servo don't hold the handle all the way tight, hold it about half way so there is a steady flow...less air I guess in the fuel as its not getting rushed out, more volume...I use to think this was BS but I think I get a fuller tank for less

^

That is all in your minded

Agreed.

The fuel in the hose up until the trigger is a constant flow of fuel with no air mixed into it. The only point where air can mix in is after is passes the trigger. When the nozzle is in the tank anyways, there isn't much air to be mixed into the flow as it exits the nozzle. Even still, have you blown air through a straw to the bottom of a glass? The air doesn't stay at the bottom. It will work its way to the top of the tank and eventually out the way it came.

It may cause the pump mechanism to trigger quicker if you hold the trigger on full and have it stirring things up forcing the vapour to the nozzle quicker but a simple solution to that is to fill till the nozzle clicks, take the nozzle out, wait 15 seconds (you can hear the air working its way to the top of the tank), and then put the nozzle back in and pump some more fuel. The next time it clicks, you can be sure that your tank is close to full.

Replace the fuel pump filter, clean the injectors, put on a set of headers and you will see your economy drop by about 2-2.5L/100km

As I'm sure you know by now I know squat about cars which is embarassing but I'm keen to learn.

How much of the above can I do myself?

Thats allright buddy, if you dont ask you dont learn , I didnt think of it at the time I posted to this thread, I use to think it was crap, but you fill it up with the trigger on full , rather than filling it up on half trigger and filling slower , you dont get as much fuel in the tank, it might only be couple litres, but your better of having fuel in the tank than air, Im covinced that filling it up slower and taking the nozzel out every few seconds at half trigger works, try it and see what happens, also filling up in the morning when its cold also I heard works in putting more fuel in the tank, rather than air.

Edited by CROCO

If that is the case then, you are simply filling he tank closer to it's capacity (ie when you aggressively fill the tank and it triggers the stop signal, it isn't truly full as you don't press the lever again simply cause you assume it is full). That has nothing to do with economy as you simply have more fuel to burn which will give you more mileage.

Changig the fuel filter is probably the only thing you can do yourself (and worthwhile in terms of time).

Edit: Since when did a bowser pump, pump air?

Edit: A cold morning has the potential to give you more fuel as it has the potential to be more dense; but bundled with the tanks being in ground and quite sizeable the gains will be close to 3/10 of bugger all.

Fair enough so just replace the fuel filter anything you can reccomend in branding?

Fuel filters do they all do the same thing there abouts or do some have little differences ie more filters for cleaner fuel or less for more flow or something?

Don't laugh please :)

Fair enough so just replace the fuel filter anything you can reccomend in branding?

Fuel filters do they all do the same thing there abouts or do some have little differences ie more filters for cleaner fuel or less for more flow or something?

Don't laugh please :)

The fuel filter (also referred to as the 'sock') strains junk before it gets into the fuel pump. if out have done enough mileage, it will be clogged/restricted which will affect economy and the smoothness and speed of acceleration.

Just get a genuine filter and the locking ring which holds it to the bottom of the pump. It is not expensive.

• 4 weeks later...

check the "Thirsty Avalon" thread under Avalon forum that i posted maybe it could help you find the answer.