CV joint

hey guys just had my 40k service.

anyway everything was fine EXCEPT!!!!

just before i had new wheels fitted had vibration in steering if anyone recalls me mentioning it.

anyway same problem after my new wheels were fitted and same again after my latest set were fitted.

i kept putting it down to crappy ballancing or some guys said i possibly needed hub rings.

well after getting hub rings and numerous ballancing dont still nothing.

as soon as i hit around 90 upto 120kms the vibrations was terrible and really getting on my nerves.

anyway after having my stivo serviced today my mechanic has told me my CV joint is absolutly rooted and needs to be replaced by toyota.

has anyone had this problem?

is it a comon issue with rollas?

and i havnt contacted them yet but will toyota replace it or ask questions and then try and get out of fixing it?

also would this be the reason for all the vibration problems ive been having and are still having?

thanks in advance.

it's quite strange for a CV to cause vibrations and not clicking noises.

If you can take the car to a carpark and do some figure-8's, you usually get a clicking noise from a worn out CV. Excessive wheel vibration is usually from warped discs or stuffed wheel bearings.

got the same freakin problem after i got my new tyres fitted ..while driving 100-125 ... got it alignment and balanced about 3 times .. the last guy that balanced the tire said the rims were not even and i have to get it re-rolled again..

maybe urs is the same?

cbf any more so just drive it as it is .. get used to it .. :lol:

hey guys just had my 40k service.

anyway everything was fine EXCEPT!!!!

just before i had new wheels fitted had vibration in steering if anyone recalls me mentioning it.

anyway same problem after my new wheels were fitted and same again after my latest set were fitted.

i kept putting it down to crappy ballancing or some guys said i possibly needed hub rings.

well after getting hub rings and numerous ballancing dont still nothing.

as soon as i hit around 90 upto 120kms the vibrations was terrible and really getting on my nerves.

anyway after having my stivo serviced today my mechanic has told me my CV joint is absolutly rooted and needs to be replaced by toyota.

has anyone had this problem?

is it a comon issue with rollas?

and i havnt contacted them yet but will toyota replace it or ask questions and then try and get out of fixing it?

also would this be the reason for all the vibration problems ive been having and are still having?

thanks in advance.

had a CV boot replaced before. coz it was flicking minute bits of grease everywhere and the boot itself was greasy, too. never found the split/leak, but got it replaced under warranty (amazing).

ok here i go.....

had it ballanced to highest ( still the same problem )

on my second set of 17" rims both different companies ( still same problem )

also had hub rings ( still same problem)

my mechanic is A+++ for everything also personal family friend and hots up all types of cars/boats/bikes/trucks

my car isnt lowered stock suspension but never had heard the clicking noise because of huge stereo lol until i drove it with stereo off and sure enough the noise is there.

im going to get the steering checked while at toyota to get CV replaced.

if still the same my last option is tyres. i have thought this could be the issue a few times because the maxxis tyres under $200 each but i know a few poeple who have these tyres and never had an issue.also if it was the tyres wouldnt it be like that all the time reguardless of balancing. because after a balance its usually fine for upto 2 days then goes back to same.

anyway after toyota have checked it ill get back to you guys incase anyone has this issue in the future.

I had the same vibration at 90kph+, got my wheels balanced 3 times, with hub rings fitted and it was still there. I came to the conclusion Bridgestone in clayton can't balance wheels properly/ crap balancing machine.

Not knocking anyones tyre/wheel/mechanic friends............. My problem was solved when I went to a DIFFERENT tyre place and got my wheels re-balanced....... problem solved.

1. If you change wheels and or tyres and get a vibration, its probably from the wheels/tyres!!!!

2. When was the last time the wheel balance machine was checked and calibrated at you dealer????

3. I have found with lighter wheels, the balance is critical, because my wheels are 6kg lighter each, any SLIGHT imbalance is a lot more noticable.

4. I would guess eddies cv joint is worn out cos of the imbalance in the wheel tyre, as I haven't heard of cv joints wearing early on rollas.

The tyre guys at Rick wollany toyota (don't know who he uses) did a fab job on my car, and no vibes at 90-218kph. :P

I can't believe some of you are getting wheels without hub rings. There's the biggest source of balance problems right there.

Try getting your wheels and tyres balanced on the car not off it. Makes a huge difference.

I had same problems, they also said might be tyre quality but when they looked at my tyres its Yokohama C.Drive and immediately said can't be that.. they then did "Probase" wheel balance where they buffed the hubs, remove tyres and refit, rebalance. Still didn't fix the problem. Then they decided to do the on-car wheel balance where they take it to 120km/h where my balance problem was.. after that the car felt better BUT the most significant improvement came when Toyota machined my brake discs. They obviously had to remove the front wheels, and brake discs and calipers.. after that was done wallah, PERFECT!

I had same problems, they also said might be tyre quality but when they looked at my tyres its Yokohama C.Drive and immediately said can't be that.. they then did "Probase"  wheel balance where they buffed the hubs, remove tyres and refit, rebalance.  Still didn't fix the problem.  Then they decided to do the on-car wheel balance where they take it to 120km/h where my balance problem was.. after that the car felt better BUT the most significant improvement came when Toyota machined my brake discs.  They obviously had to remove the front wheels, and brake discs and calipers.. after that was done wallah, PERFECT!

really that might be the issue im having because my brakes have been pretty average for the same time ive had this problem. i put it down to needing new pads but when it was serviced last week my mechanic said the pads are fine and they still have at least another 5 to 10 thousand on em before id need to replace em.

anyway booked in to toyota tomorrow for the brakes to be looked at the CV joint to be fixed and have the clutch and gear selector cables checked again.

so ill let you guys know what happens.