Are you finding it hard to love your Corolla?

Squire

Fridge? I just bought a fisher pakel fridge hope I love it when I plug it in :)

The corolla is known to be the motoring equivalent of white goods, so I just accept it and call mine the fridge as it's white haha.

Corza, what do you mean Ancient? If it is a good one, why change it? :toast:

To have more gears doesn´t mean it´s better imho. May be you´re referring to have paddle shifts or a sporty setting for fun...

Anyway...

Cheers

AB

doesn't come with the fuse puller? r u sure? I mean u bought it second-hand right? cuz I swear my hire car had one...

No I'm not 100% sure. I was upside down in a dark cramped footwell.

footwell? dude the fuse holder is under the bonnet. i dunno if the new corolla have a set of fuses inside the cabin but i know the one i had was definitely under the bonnet

footwell? dude the fuse holder is under the bonnet. i dunno if the new corolla have a set of fuses inside the cabin but i know the one i had was definitely under the bonnet

Even my 1991 Camry had fuses in the footwell area. You sure you don't have any either?

This diagram seems to indicate that you would:

http://www.toyodiy.com/parts/p_G_2003_TOYOTA_COROLLA_ZZE123R-GHFQFN_8401.3.html

OP said fuse puller, not holder. Just about every car I've seen, whilst having fuses both in the footwells and in the engine-bay, will have a fuse-puller clipped into the underside of the fuse cover in the engine-bay.

Corza, what do you mean Ancient? If it is a good one, why change it? :toast:

To have more gears doesn´t mean it´s better imho. May be you´re referring to have paddle shifts or a sporty setting for fun...

Anyway...

Cheers

AB

Just agreeing that it could have done with an update. Tiptronic would have been nice but I'm really just nitpicking. Paddle shifts is going a bit far haha. Anyway... still loving my Corolla and that's all that matters :clap:

Edited by corza

i love my Corolla!

it's only a base model Ascent but i sometimes just stare at it in the garage for about 5 minutes...wondering how such a stock, boring looking car can somehow look good from certain angles.

The corolla i drive, in my eyes, looks better than any other 02 Corolla ascent i see on the road. It's not that it's modified or anything, but it's just because it's your own car.

i think when you start seeing your own car this way you like it for sure ;)

mmm these newer corollas just have no life :( least the older one have 4AGES screaming to 8000!

just because an engine revs to 8000 rpm doesnt mean its going to be quicker than an engine that cuts out at 6500 rpm i doubt they would actually make much power right up top plus with all the fancy **** these new engine have there better then older (some) ones imo. yea the new corolla could probably use some more torque say from using a 2l instead of the 1.8 but there still fun to drive, you make your car what you want it to be. they may not be a sporty car anymore but they are really not bad for a "family car" make it sporty if thats what you want.

not trying to start an argument its just my opinion anyway

mmm these newer corollas just have no life :( least the older one have 4AGES screaming to 8000!

just because an engine revs to 8000 rpm doesnt mean its going to be quicker than an engine that cuts out at 6500 rpm i doubt they would actually make much power right up top plus with all the fancy **** these new engine have there better then older (some) ones imo. yea the new corolla could probably use some more torque say from using a 2l instead of the 1.8 but there still fun to drive, you make your car what you want it to be. they may not be a sporty car anymore but they are really not bad for a "family car" make it sporty if thats what you want.

not trying to start an argument its just my opinion anyway

Ermm, I agree 100% with you.

Cheers

AB

Edited by Hikaru Sorano

just because an engine revs to 8000 rpm doesnt mean its going to be quicker than an engine that cuts out at 6500 rpm i doubt they would actually make much power right up top plus with all the fancy **** these new engine have there better then older (some) ones imo

He never said quicker (and if you look at 4AGEs they make power all the way to redline - max power for a blacktop 20V (which fillit used to drive) was at 7,800rpm, for instance), just more life. I agree with him too, whilst the newer Corollas are decent lookers, practical, cheap to run and can be made relatively fun and quick to drive, they do lack a fair chunk of the soul that went into the older ones. Just look at what you had in the 90s that you don't get now - IRS (combined with a potent chassis and excellent brakes), 2-door coupes, quad-throttle 20v engines revving their rings off, supercharger option (in the 101s), race-designed suspension (Superstrut), the list goes on.

Corollas these days are designed to be an A-to-B car (well, they always have been to an extent), but fundamental design, spec and style changes means that they will never live up to the reputation of the older models. If your the sort of person who likes what the old models delivered, then chances are the new ones will leave you feeling a little disappointed, flat, and missing that sense of satisfaction, regardless of how practical, comfortable, reliable and cheap they are to own.

just because an engine revs to 8000 rpm doesnt mean its going to be quicker than an engine that cuts out at 6500 rpm i doubt they would actually make much power right up top plus with all the fancy **** these new engine have there better then older (some) ones imo

He never said quicker (and if you look at 4AGEs they make power all the way to redline - max power for a blacktop 20V (which fillit used to drive) was at 7,800rpm, for instance), just more life. I agree with him too, whilst the newer Corollas are decent lookers, practical, cheap to run and can be made relatively fun and quick to drive, they do lack a fair chunk of the soul that went into the older ones. Just look at what you had in the 90s that you don't get now - IRS (combined with a potent chassis and excellent brakes), 2-door coupes, quad-throttle 20v engines revving their rings off, supercharger option (in the 101s), race-designed suspension (Superstrut), the list goes on.

Corollas these days are designed to be an A-to-B car (well, they always have been to an extent), but fundamental design, spec and style changes means that they will never live up to the reputation of the older models. If your the sort of person who likes what the old models delivered, then chances are the new ones will leave you feeling a little disappointed, flat, and missing that sense of satisfaction, regardless of how practical, comfortable, reliable and cheap they are to own.

well thats fair enough to be honest i havent owned a older model and havent driven a car with a 4age i have driven cars that rev to 8k rpm though (swift gti) which is fun but just because a car only revs to 6.5k doesnt mean thats a bad thing. thats the thing with new cars though pretty much all makers are now focusing way too much time on fuel economy and ways to make them cheaper and ride better which does mean they arent going to live up to the older models that did have more of a all round good performance.

well thats fair enough to be honest i havent owned a older model and havent driven a car with a 4age i have driven cars that rev to 8k rpm though (swift gti) which is fun but just because a car only revs to 6.5k doesnt mean thats a bad thing. thats the thing with new cars though pretty much all makers are now focusing way too much time on fuel economy and ways to make them cheaper and ride better which does mean they arent going to live up to the older models that did have more of a all round good performance.

Thanks Hiro,

Yes, car hitting 8000 doesn't mean it's faster, my s14 was about 6.5 - 7 i think? and it was a rocketship. If toyota made a car which revs to 6.5 but was torquey enough to throw me into the back of my seat I'm all for it.

However when you've experienced a 4AGE with ITBS, massive intake and full exhaust screaming to 8000, it's a pretty damn good feeling. Add in a tunnel blast or two and you will never look back.

The corollas which are made now are just econoboxes :( there's no feel in the car, in response, steering, sound etc.

I drove a ZRE around sydney for a few days and it felt incredibly bland. Indifferent to anything else on the market.