K&N filter for sportivo

SlayerT

So, exactly like stock. If you think differently, you are deluded.

Pretty much.

Toyota does not put hundreds if thousands (if not millions) of dollars into research and development into their products to release a vehicle which struggles for air as standard; in particular an issue like that which would be immediately noticed.

Want all you want, I was just letting everyone know the prices for the filter I wasn't really concerned with the so called performance, I'm a family man and I'm not all that bothered if a Gogo mobile passes me by. It was my honest opinion, that there was slight improvement, but perhaps the old was due out anyhow. If you're here to try and slang me off go f@@@ yourself.

Cheers Tom thanks heeps for the info, ive been thinking about changing back from pod, im kinda over the throaty pod sound thing.

Was actually thinking maybe a slightly modded cold box too.

The second i changed from stock to the pod i noticed a slight difference pu too. Prolly cause my filter was as filthy phuk after a trip to the top end and back.

Cheers BV for the link

It's amazing how much improvement the ear- (sounds louder, must be more powerful), butt- (can feel a bit of a kick, must be more powerful) and wallet- (it's expensive, must be more powerful) dyno can give....

I'm all for K&N filters, but the main benefit from most of them are the slight increase in induction noise (not linked to power at all) and wash/reusability. And of course changing to a brand new anything will give you an improvement over an old/dirty original

And of course changing to a brand new anything will give you an improvement over an old/dirty original

Exactly

(sounds louder, must be more powerful),

Very true Ian, a fact noted that when ever i put the boot into it after putting the pod on my wife braces.... the old passive dual foot brakes comes out and she grabs the door handle.

An occurance that never happened once in 5k of driving to the top end and back before installing the pod.

I now find the noise to have a "cheap" sorta sound after listening alot more to high end sports cars and taking into account the way they go about producing induction noise.

Un-refined to my ears kinda like an exhaust with no muff's, sure it's loud but you can tell it's loud cause of no muffs... cheap and nasty.

In the old days we used to upgrade our v8's and 6's to large CFM holey carbs and run open style paper filters and pods that made a very similar sound.

Does anyone know the exact law about running these open pods? from what i gather we can run them, they just have to be enclosed to be legal?

In Vic they don't have to be enclosed, but secured so they don't move around. The Typhoon has a bracket that holds it onto the throttle body which is all it needs to be :) enclosure just makes it more effective at not getting heat soak.

I'm actually in the same boat as you Luke, kinda getting over the induction noise. It was cool at first, really only sounds great when VVTi kicks in, which in the driving I do doesn't happen very often :(

Got some holidays coming up soon so I'm finally going to take the car back to my local dyno to see what/if any difference is had to having the Typhoon as opposed to standard.

I suggest you take the K&N filter out and fit either a genuine or a Ryco. If you do leave the K&N filter in then I advise you to get your oil analysed regularly and moniter silicon levels.

As for performance gains, no chance. The only thing this filter is likely to do is contribute to oil sludge problems.

Got some holidays coming up soon so I'm finally going to take the car back to my local dyno to see what/if any difference is had to having the Typhoon as opposed to standard.

Be sure to report back once you do. My money is on a small reduction in power with the pod filter.

• Like 1

I'm actually in the same boat as you Luke, kinda getting over the induction noise. It was cool at first, really only sounds great when VVTi kicks in, which in the driving I do doesn't happen very often :(

I found that my petrol bill went through the roof.... lead foot syndrome set in for the endorphin rush of the sound :D

it's all placebo.

If you do leave the K&N filter in then I advise you to get your oil analysed regularly and moniter silicon levels

Whats the best way to go about getting this done?

The only thing this filter is likely to do is contribute to oil sludge problems

Alot <--(subjective) of people post after using KN filters..... That the oil in the filters sludge map sensors, sludge up oil, Which in turn can cause spark problems and more. Models this has been reported on ranges from honda's to mustangs.

Alot (again subjective) say nps at all in years.

This Potentially could end up being a rather expensive to journey to the un-clued. What could possibly just mean a oil change and map sensor clean can add up to some poor sap being charged for a lot more.

I take this to be more application based rather than the norm or exception.

I have not seen this problem here on the toca forums. But I may have missed a post.

After running oil type filters on turbo charged cars over many many years i know they can be problematic.

Alot of ppl here @ TOCA run KN filters, it's best when making statments to add as much info as we can to help others make an informative decision.

I found that my petrol bill went through the roof.... lead foot syndrome set in for the endorphin rush of the sound :D

it's all placebo.

If you do leave the K&N filter in then I advise you to get your oil analysed regularly and moniter silicon levels

Whats the best way to go about getting this done?

The only thing this filter is likely to do is contribute to oil sludge problems

Alot <--(subjective) of people post after using KN filters..... That the oil in the filters sludge map sensors, sludge up oil, Which in turn can cause spark problems and more. Models this has been reported on ranges from honda's to mustangs.

Alot (again subjective) say nps at all in years.

This Potentially could end up being a rather expensive to journey to the un-clued. What could possibly just mean a oil change and map sensor clean can add up to some poor sap being charged for a lot more.

I take this to be more application based rather than the norm or exception.

I have not seen this problem here on the toca forums. But I may have missed a post.

After running oil type filters on turbo charged cars over many many years i know they can be problematic.

Alot of ppl here @ TOCA run KN filters, it's best when making statments to add as much info as we can to help others make an informative decision.

That’s fair enough. I’m deliberately guarded (or moderate if you like) with the way I post on these subjects as my experience is that people can get quite emotive. This is not mere supposition on my part though, as I get all of my oil analysed on both my ZZE123 Sportivos (track and road) and have experimented with a variety of filters. My UOA (used oil analysis) results from using aftermarket oil panel filters demonstrate a clear spike in silicon compared to either Genuine or Ryco panel filters. Now where we get into supposition territory is in attempting to quantify the impact of this increase in silicon, and I am not attempting to do that, I am simply putting forward my opinion that having an abnormal amount of silicon in oil may contribute to oil sludge problems.

The main crux of my argument though is that there is (so far as I’m aware) no demonstrable difference in vehicle performance from replacing stock panel filters with aftermarket ‘performance’ filters on any vehicle. If anyone can point to a vehicle that demonstrates repeatable, verifiable performance gains from replacing the stock air filter with a replacement panel filter (be it K&N or any other brand) then please do so, as I for one would be more than happy to see it. Being that there is (IMO) no performance gains to be had, why take any risk with using it?

With regards to oil analysis, there are a variety of labs around Australia that do this. Just find a lab that you want to use and find out the details of the sample size required and the process for gathering the sample, then when you do your next oil change take the sample and you are away. I use these guys because I know someone that works there: http://www.oilcheck.com.au/index.html

I am simply putting forward my opinion that having an abnormal amount of silicon in oil may contribute to oil sludge problems.

It's good that you do, as i'm sure many here @ toca running these oil filters are unaware this occurence takes place.

Armed with this info i may think about removing mine even sooner.

Cheers.

Was the level of silicone found in your results to be detrimental to engine function and wear?

Was the level of silicone found in your results to be detrimental to engine function and wear?

Unfortunately this is somewhat inconclusive. The lab described the results as unusual, but there was not really any other indicators of abnormal wear beyond slightly high iron residue. The link with silicon and oil sludge I have formed myself from both extensive research, and in depth discussions with the mechanics at my performance centre.

Never heard so much rubbish, your not meant to soak it in oil.

So you've seen engine oil analysis from vehicles using oiled panel filters then? Which bit in particular do you believe to be 'rubbish' and what is the basis for your opinion?

Edited by rollaurion

No mate i'm not a scientist and not seen analysis results from a lab, but what i've seen are real world facts with my own eyes.

So what your basically saying, K&N filter oil can find its way through the rings or pcv and into the sump and cause oil sludge problems, and for those that choose to use such a item should regularly have their oil analysed.

It's sounds like the filters have been saturated with oil maybe someone doesn't now how to oil a filter.

I've been using K&N filters for over 15 years on Holden V8's, turbo Nissan's and Ford's up to 400rwkw engine's, have pulled motors down for rebuilds and have never ever had sludge problems with oil or heard of it, K&N filters are widely used around the world on high performance motors.

As for a performance gain on a Aurion i doubt it, but throw one on a F6 it will go a little better have seen it at the drag strip

No mate i'm not a scientist and not seen analysis results from a lab, but what i've seen are real world facts with my own eyes.

So what your basically saying, K&N filter oil can find its way through the rings or pcv and into the sump and cause oil sludge problems, and for those that choose to use such a item should regularly have their oil analysed.

No, you are focusing on the oil, which is one factor, but not the only factor. I am specifically talking about replacement panel filters in stock air boxes. I didn't say cause oil sludge (although technically it could in high enough concentration), I said contribute to oil sludge, and this needs to be a consideration for Toyota VVTI engines as they can be prone to sludge in certain circumstances. I believe people should avoid using these filters at all, or if they insist on using them then it would be advisable to get oil analysis done.

It's sounds like the filters have been saturated with oil maybe someone doesn't now how to oil a filter.

Pretty comfortable that I know what I'm doing thank you very much.

I've been using K&N filters for over 15 years on Holden V8's, turbo Nissan's and Ford's up to 400rwkw engine's, have pulled motors down for rebuilds and have never ever had sludge problems with oil or heard of it, K&N filters are widely used around the world on high performance motors.

I suspected something like this was coming. I'm not going to get into a tit for tat who knows more thing with you. It's my formative opinion that oil analysis and science is more useful than anecdotal "I've seen this" observations. Sorry, but if you are not getting your oil analysed then really you don't know whats going on in there, it's just as simple as that. I've seen a lot of this type of argument from folks like you. Just because you haven't seen it doesn't preclude it from being possible, and certainly doesn't make it 'rubbish' as you put it.

As for a performance gain on a Aurion i doubt it, but throw one on a F6 it will go a little better have seen it at the drag strip

Funny you should mention the F6, since that is the vehicle I had before buying my Aurion (wanted a more tame car as use my Corollas for fun). I was not able to verify any performance improvements on the dyno using any variation of filter in the stock air intake (or for that matter with so-called CAIs) with multiple runs. In my opinion they make no difference in that car either.. Sigh..still miss the F6 sometimes.

Edit: Actually I'd be extremely interested to see dyno results showing any vehicle that displays repeatable tangible performance gains from using any type of aftermarket replacement air filter (in standard air box) under any conditions.

Edited by rollaurion