Anyone been defected for being having less than 100mm ground clearance?

I don't see too many slammed or extremely low Sportivos on the internet, they're actually hard to find!

Is anyone actually running such a low setup on their Corolla, and if so, have they had more attention from police?

I'd assume Corollas are not the type of car police would take a 2nd look at, and my area doesn't seem to have too many hoons so there's not much police attention.
But whenever I find the right sportivo I do plan on lowering it by quite a bit.

I've seen a few very nice looking ZZEs with 16 (can't rmbr tyre size) and almost no gap between tyre and fender. Would anyone happen to knwo the approx ground clearance for this?

Would love a similar setup to the Black Sportivo on this forum with 16x8 BBS rims.

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m8zztoD4FG1rrrd3ro1_1280.jpg

Doesn't quite look like 100mm off the ground but it's hard to tell.

Edited by rich70

Part of the reason for this is that there are not that many options for lowered shocks for this vehicle. If people can't afford coilovers then they are really limited in what they can do. The 2 major shocks available for stivos are KYB(replacement strut) and Koni (strut insert) and neither are designed for lowering meaning 50mm is as low as you can go (although Koni and Kyb will say 40mm max). Bilstein do make a lowering shock that fits but it is damned expensive.

I assume you are planning on going to coilovers? Why on earth would you want it to scrape?

Driving up onto blocks just to jack the car up gets tired, very quickly. Same with scraping to get into and out of driveways, that would be the main reason why no one slams them. I dropped by 50mm, still look stock, and ground clearance is only around 120mm or so from memory. The subframe is a lower than the front lip.

• Like 1

Part of the reason for this is that there are not that many options for lowered shocks for this vehicle. If people can't afford coilovers then they are really limited in what they can do. The 2 major shocks available for stivos are KYB(replacement strut) and Koni (strut insert) and neither are designed for lowering meaning 50mm is as low as you can go (although Koni and Kyb will say 40mm max). Bilstein do make a lowering shock that fits but it is damned expensive.

I assume you are planning on going to coilovers? Why on earth would you want it to scrape?

Yeah i'd go with coilovers for sure. Stance comes with compromise? xD

My friend recently got coilovers in his dc2 Integra and lowered it a bit more. He's at least 15cm off the ground and it already looks pretty damn low so 10cm clearance is probably a generous amount (I had this thought that it was too large of a gap)

Not many people do the whole 'stance' thing with a Sportivo and I think the car has quite a bit of potential if you're committed enough =)

But on the other hand, I'll probably hate the compromises the come with being so low after I've experienced it

Driving up onto blocks just to jack the car up gets tired, very quickly. Same with scraping to get into and out of driveways, that would be the main reason why no one slams them. I dropped by 50mm, still look stock, and ground clearance is only around 120mm or so from memory. The subframe is a lower than the front lip.

Whoa 120mm already sounds pretty low. Since I've barely seen any Sportivos in Melbourne that are lowered my only reference is from pictures. Would you happen to have any pictures of your car you could upload? =D

LOL!

yes, yes i have been defected for being too low. With that said I did last a fair while without police attention :)

Damn your ride must have been pretty low! Big fan of stancenation as well? haha

My driveway is pretty steep so who knows how low I'd actually be able to go...

Not many people do the whole 'stance' thing with a Sportivo and I think the car has quite a bit of potential if you're committed enough =)

But on the other hand, I'll probably hate the compromises the come with being so low after I've experienced it

Because sportivos have a fukin **** rear sussy setup... you cant even have fitment without chewing guards and tyres. the wheel doesnt camber in as the sussy compresses like civics, integras etc

and most importantly of all, its a corolla... 'stanced' or not, its still a gay corolla lol kids these days... still trying too hard to follow trends

oh and by all means go low. when you get pulled by a hwp (and you will sooner or later)... its roughly $385 fine, major defect (possibly tow your car home), requires a RWC to clear. i spent over $1300 to clear my defect just cos i was too low. do it man, cry and tell the cop how youre a sick knt and low is your lifestyle

Edited by handsome
  • Like 2

Because sportivos have a fukin **** rear sussy setup... you cant even have fitment without chewing guards and tyres. the wheel doesnt camber in as the sussy compresses like civics, integras etc

and most importantly of all, its a corolla... 'stanced' or not, its still a gay corolla lol kids these days... still trying too hard to follow trends

oh and by all means go low. when you get pulled by a hwp (and you will sooner or later)... its roughly $385 fine, major defect (possibly tow your car home), requires a RWC to clear. i spent over $1300 to clear my defect just cos i was too low. do it man, cry and tell the cop how youre a sick knt and low is your lifestyle

You sound like a *****. Anybody that thinks using "gay" as an adjective in the pejorative is appropriate is not worth listening to anyways.

• Like 2

I had year old sagged whiteline control springs that look like I was on kings super low height. Not pleasant as side skirts scrape the kerb, front lip gets damaged on road dips. Couldn't get down or up steep driveways without scraping the underside of the car - at one time I was stuck on steep carpark ramps as car was like a play ground see-saw.

Car did look good though at the time, just not practical.

You sound like a *****. Anybody that thinks using "gay" as an adjective in the pejorative is appropriate is not worth listening to anyways.

Corollas are awesome cars!

For something that is NA, i honestly can't think of another car that is such a good overall package. Corollas are cheap on insurance, last forever, and seem to have quite a bit of room for its size. I sat in an Evo 9 and the rear seemed more squished than a ZZE.

Either there are very nice Sportivos that aren't on forums or people don't generally link Corollas with fitment, but after seeing a few examples I'm sure the Corollas has potential!

It'd be good to find more Corollas like these:

5611159809_4d374f4b0c_b_zpsf666b9ad.jpg

DSC_3380_zps156659c9.jpg

20120525_180731_zpsecdf467f.jpg

Edited by rich70

One of the biggest reasons you won't see a super low sportivo is because the chassis rails on the ZZE model are one of the lowest points of the car, as is the exhaust.
If these are what is scraping on things, it's not at all good news for you if you ever need to get a roadworthy or are pulled over. Instant major defect for chassis damage, even if it's minor scraping or dints. And let me tell you, they're a PAIN to get repaired.

I know you're all about "stance", and I'm not going to put anyone down. But going so low defeats the purpose of getting a sportivo. You can't utilise the handling, and have fun! I regularly take hard corners pretty fast, but that's because I know I'm not going to scrape, or do any guard damage.

Here's my daily-driver ZZE, on bc coilovers, it also has a cusco strut brace.
At this height I don't scrape anything at all.
Although I have been wanting to lower it a little more. I could easily go another 20mm or so.

Wheel specs are:
Front 15x7 +35 A disk
Rear 15x7.5 +39 O disk
100% genuine Work equip 03.

I opted for 15' wheels, as with coilovers, it becomes quite a hard ride. So more tyre sidewall softens it a little. Also, there is a good range of high-quality sports tyres in 15'.

I've got/had other low cars, and whilst they look pretty cool, they aren't very practical or fun for spirited driving.

46799_4838810202393_36156978_n.jpg

Edited by Jrad
  • Like 1

Wheel specs are:

Front 15x7 +35 A disk

Rear 15x7.5 +39 O disk

100% genuine Work equip 03.

I opted for 15' wheels, as with coilovers, it becomes quite a hard ride. So more tyre sidewall softens it a little. Also, there is a good range of high-quality sports tyres in 15'.

46799_4838810202393_36156978_n.jpg

the work equip look killer.

• Like 1

Jrad, that's a very nice Sportivo =)

I think I may have exaggerated by how 'low' i meant by low. Maybe it's better to say, fitment where there's no fender-tyre gap.

I'm more interested in that over slammed onto the road to the point where it looks stupid.

If the Sportivo in this picture was dropped a few more cm to get rid of the fender-tyre gap it looks like it'd get close to being 10cm off the ground from the body kit at least.
It still looks pretty drive-able if it was? :mellow:

135802448_zpsaccb4e43.jpg

I guess everyone has a different take to lowering and whether it's worth the disadvantages of being so low. The suggestions above have been a big help though.

Hopefully some day soon I get to post my take on being low ^_^

Edited by rich70

^ :)

i'd understand why 99% of people would never do that.

maybe a few cm higher to make it less ridiculous, if that is even possible lol.

I'm guessing all the crap on the rear wheel is meant to represent how the tyre will just chew up everything around it?

hell, even if that is practically impossible to drive as a daily I'd at least try it to see what it's like.

Found another example that is fairly low, compared to most Sportivos.

I know this Sportivo's been sold but not sure if the original owner is from here?

From the add I saw of this car, he seems to be from Melbourne.

tumblr_m1ts2zDiQt1r7wx8no4_1280_zps8d7c7

Edited by rich70

The exhaust on these cars hang VERY low the mid pipe i think? iv only gone 1.7"lower and if i have more then 2 people in the car i scrape the exhaust in the middle... so tbh it doesnt even look lowered.

ive had no problems with police so far and its been nearly 10 months since dropping my car. its just on 110mm at its lowest which is the exhaust, i need to get it tucked because of the ridiculous exhaust shop i went to left it hanging considerably!

as you can see

iZimJKD.jpg

kSqEAxf.jpg

having no wheel gap might be harder than i thought, while staying completely legal!

I just found out about and joined the Facebook group called 'Toyota Corolla Sportivo'

TONNES, of lowered Sportivos...much lower than anything you can find through google images or even these forums.

As rollehpholleh also pointed out, a few have mentioned about needing to modify the mid pipe since it hangs very low, when you lower the car by a large amount.

It's nice seeing members on here as well as that group!

Having no wheel gap is easy.
Just put a higher profile tyre on :P
standard on 15' is 195/60.
Just go up to 196/65. It's barely anything, but enough to raise your car a little, allowing you to go lower, and close the wheel gap.
No one really likes a big chunky sidewall, but if you want to stay legal you haven't got much room to move.

That's how they get like.. Japanese Bosozuko cars CRAZY low. they run a really, really small tyre profile, as well as lower it. There is a LOT of height adjustment in tyre profile. It does mess with the speedo a little bit, you just have to be wary of that. One profile up or down won't change it too much.

Having no wheel gap is easy.

Just put a higher profile tyre on :P

standard on 15' is 195/60.

Just go up to 196/65. It's barely anything, but enough to raise your car a little, allowing you to go lower, and close the wheel gap.

No one really likes a big chunky sidewall, but if you want to stay legal you haven't got much room to move.

That's how they get like.. Japanese Bosozuko cars CRAZY low. they run a really, really small tyre profile, as well as lower it. There is a LOT of height adjustment in tyre profile. It does mess with the speedo a little bit, you just have to be wary of that. One profile up or down won't change it too much.

That is a solution! lol

In terms of what annoys me the most in the Sportivo, it'd have to be:

1) wheel gap

2) ground clearance

3) sitting so high up in the cabin

Changing tyre profile, lowering, and a pair of bucket seats would fix all of those :clap:

But with all that effort, might as well start with a car that ticks all those boxes to begin with like an Integra or something.

Might have to accept the fact the ideal Sportivo won't be happening staying legal =(

There's a might car mods video about how to align the speedo if wheel profiles mess it up a little. Doesn't look too hard if i rmbr!

Edited by rich70

LOL!

yes, yes i have been defected for being too low. With that said I did last a fair while without police attention :)

Damn your ride must have been pretty low! Big fan of stancenation as well? haha

My driveway is pretty steep so who knows how low I'd actually be able to go...

55mm lowest point when i got done. For those who say it isnt practical or doesnt maske a car fast, its all in how you set it up ;)

Mine rarely scrubbed or scraped and handles like its on rails :)

I appreciate stance, but safe to say Ive learnt my lesson from living that 'lifestyle' lol

there are alot of things you need to worry about.

i had about 105mm clearence on my car before. cops didnt have tape measure on them. but as soon as they saw the coilover, they gave me a yellow for that. aperently you need to have engineering cert to have the coilover....

basically cops can give you yellow sticker for anything...

so your best bet is to keep good clearence to reduce the amount of attention from the boys in the blue....

*sigh

guess you just have to play nice with the cops and keep your ride as clean as possible.

Just out of curiosity (excuse my ignorance), what's the big issue with ground clearance? Is it only a few 'lucky' countries that have such laws? I mean, if you take a quick look on stancenation, stanceworks etc the cars are dropped to the ground. Even though some of the cars look stupid, I'm assuming in places like USA there's no such law?

Is it to do with safety, or maybe insurance? (body kits getting ripped, pot hole damages etc?)

Edited by rich70

• 1 month later...

Mine is definitely under 100mm and I've been fine so far (touch wood). I think its because its white and running on stockies it hasn't attracted as much attention.

My cousin on the other hand who drives a black Stivo got done a few times but he has like 18" black rims and lives further out west.

Im on BC coil overs, be prepared to scrape. Sydney roads are horrible..

post-26837-0-01709300-1369850623_thumb.j

• Like 1