Stuffed CV Joint?

I had my wheels rotated, balanced and alligned few days ago and i am now getting very strong vibration through my steering at 110-120km/h on the freeway. I had no vibration pre rotation and balance. I did have it when i first got my wheels, but when i took it back to Toyota to get the brake discs machined, it miraculously solved the vibrating problem.

Anyway i took my wheels off today to have a look at my brakes and hub rings and also checked out the CV joint, my left CV joint had oil all over it. So much that it stained the gearbox caseing. I don't know if its the oil form the gearbox or CV but looked to me its from the CV.

Anyone else had this problem and does it give you bad steering vibration at 110-120km/h only? People say there is a clicking sound but i don't seem to have it.

Edited by ZEEROLLA

I had my wheels rotated, balanced and alligned few days ago and i am now feeling very strong vibration through my steering at 110-120km/h on the freeway.  The same vibration i had when i first got my wheels, but when i took it back to Toyota to get the brake discs machined, it miraculously solved the vibrating problem. 

Anyway i took my wheels off today to have a look at my brakes and hub rings and also checked out the CV joint, my left CV joint had oil all over it.  So muhc that it stained the gearbox caseing.  I don't know if its the oil form the gearbox or CV but looked to me its from the CV.

Anyone else had this problem and does it give you bad steering vibartion at 110-120km/h only?  Peope also say there is a clicking sound but i don;t seem to have it.  I know Eddy had his CV replaced under warranty, i will be doing the same.

exactly the same thing happened to me. it was on the driver's side. we never found the hole from the CV boot. but we knew it was flicking bits of oil around everywhere.

gday mate i just had my CV joints replaced under warranty.

i posted the problem about a month ago now.

i didnt have any oil leaks but the 2 of them were so loose it wasnt funny but toyota replaced them.

however im still getting the vibration in my steering at the same speed like you.

i had it ballanced to many times so i dont think its that.

plus toyota have also replaced my brake pads as they said they were gripping slightly and that it could possibly be causeing the vibration issue.

anyway it hasnt fixed any of the vibration problem and its got me stuffed why im still getting them.

the only thing i havnt tried is replacing the tyres on my rims.

some of the boys said this could also be the issue.

but it all started with the wheels i had like your but even after i got new wheels ive still had the problem aswel.

if you have it looked at by toyota and they give you a different answer let me know.

Thanks for your input guys. Yeh there is so much oil on the left CV and gearbox casing but funny enough not a drop on my garage floor! So Shao what did you do about it? Did you just get the split CV boot replaced under warranty?

My vibration problem was rectified before when Toyota machined the brake discs for me. I think it has something to do with the way the discs, calipers, hubs and wheels are mounted? If they are slightly off i gues it can cause your steering to vibrate at high speeds. Currently my allignment is also slightly off, don't know if it could be due to the CV.

Eddy, did Toyota machine your front discs for you? Maybe you can request them to do it, even if they charge i don't think its expensive. That sure fixed my vibration problems. I think with tyres its more to do with the thread when the rubber is new? After driving for a while i believe the thread will wear evenly across the face and you will get a smoother ride. Or it could be that the rubber is not fitted onto the wheel properly.

Anyway will get my car checked out tomorrow first thing in the morning.

i am now feeling very strong vibration through my steering at 110-120km/h on the freeway.  The same vibration i had when i first got my wheels

Anyway i took my wheels off today to have a look at my brakes and hub rings and also checked out the CV joint,

Zee,

My guess is it's your wheels.

Do you still have your stock wheels+tyres ?

Try putting them on and going for a drive.

PS: did you get your package in the post ?

Cheers.

Thanks for your input guys.  Yeh there is so much oil on the left CV and gearbox casing but funny enough not a drop on my garage floor!  So Shao what did you do about it?  Did you just get the split CV boot replaced under warranty?

My vibration problem was rectified before when Toyota machined the brake discs for me.  I think it has something to do with the way the discs, calipers, hubs and wheels are mounted?  If they are slightly off i gues it can cause your steering to vibrate at high speeds.  Currently my allignment is also slightly off, don't know if it could be due to the CV.

Eddy, did Toyota machine your front discs for you?  Maybe you can request them to do it, even if they charge i don't think its expensive.  That sure fixed my vibration problems.  I think with tyres its more to do with the thread when the rubber is new?  After driving for a while i believe the thread will wear evenly across the face and you will get a smoother ride.  Or it could be that the rubber is not fitted onto the wheel properly.

Anyway will get my car checked out tomorrow first thing in the morning.

warranty

i am now feeling very strong vibration through my steering at 110-120km/h on the freeway.  The same vibration i had when i first got my wheels

Anyway i took my wheels off today to have a look at my brakes and hub rings and also checked out the CV joint,

Zee,

My guess is it's your wheels.

Do you still have your stock wheels+tyres ?

Try putting them on and going for a drive.

PS: did you get your package in the post ?

Cheers.

Yes i got your package thanks man. I don't think its the wheels bcuz the vibration was rectified after i had my front brakes machined. It only resurfaced after they rotated my wheels and re-balanced it few days ago. I had absolutely no vibration for quite a few months after the brake machining and the steering wheel vibratio is very obvious, like something is lose at 110-120km/h. It could also be that the hub rings don't fit snuggly. Anyway i will try taking the car into Toyota to get the CV fixed first, that might fix it? U never know, didn't expect the brake machining to fix it last time. I will get Toyota to look at it while the car is there.

wat are your hub rings made of

They look like they are either made of plastic or some sort of metal, maybe aluminium. Black in colour. They seem to still move a very tiny bit when i put them on the hub, not tight. Is that normal?

wat are your hub rings made of

They look like they are either made of plastic or some sort of metal, maybe aluminium. Black in colour. They seem to still move a very tiny bit when i put them on the hub, not tight. Is that normal?

yes, there are 2 types. usually plastic or alloy. the alloy ones are the better ones. they usually come with better rims like rays, enkei, etc.

they are not really meant to move AT all. they should be a very snug fit. plastic being plastic will flex a little under stress.

you saw how tight the hub rings on my car were when you were at Wakefield Park when I from my stockers to the others right Zee? I had to bang them into place (though that was on hot hubs too!!) but when I took them off the day before to put the stockers on I needed to work hard pry them off. But the result is... no vibrations... they are Aluminium too ;)

you saw how tight the hub rings on my car were when you were at Wakefield Park when I from my stockers to the others right Zee? I had to bang them into place (though that was on hot hubs too!!) but when I took them off the day before to put the stockers on I needed to work hard pry them off. But the result is... no vibrations... they are Aluminium too ;)

Ahh, i guess it must be the hub rings then because mine are not snug. Is it possible to get my hands on a pair of aluminium ones? Or i can always try to move the hub rings around since the rear ones whch were on the front previously were better.

Btw i had Toyota look at the CV todayand they told me the clamp was loose on the inside CV so they just changed the clamp and tigtened it. :)

Ahh, i guess it must be the hub rings then because mine are not snug. Is it possible to get my hands on a pair of aluminium ones? Or i can always try to move the hub rings around since the rear ones whch were on the front previously were better.

Btw i had Toyota look at the CV todayand they told me the clamp was loose on the inside CV so they just changed the clamp and tigtened it. :)

Have a chat to your local Bob Jane, Beaurepaires, etc, they should be able to supply a set of hub rings to suit, not sure of cost, though.

Ahh, i guess it must be the hub rings then because mine are not snug.  Is it possible to get my hands on a pair of aluminium ones?  Or i can always try to move the hub rings around since the rear ones whch were on the front previously were better.

Toyota Hub Rings are 58mm from memory.

You need to talk to the Manufacturer/Supplier of your wheels.

The Centre Bore is different for different brands of wheels.

check out this : article on hub rings