Paint Chip

negatron

Hey hey, after a drive into the country I've got numerous paint chips in the bonnet :(

i've gone at it with touch up paint but its doesn't look good, the touch up dries darker and its rather obvious.

Tips on how to fix it?

Hey hey, after a drive into the country I've got numerous paint chips in the bonnet  :(

i've gone at it with touch up paint but its doesn't look good, the touch up dries darker and its rather obvious.

Tips on how to fix it?

i bought a white permanent marker with a pointed tip .. works perfectly :)

not sure how u would match ur colour tho :P

• 1 month later...

Hey hey, after a drive into the country I've got numerous paint chips in the bonnet :(

Tips on how to fix it?

gday all,

there is a good place in melbourne if you need small chips and scratches repaired. the place is called chips n scratches and is located at 77 keys rd moorabbin. they have a website too:www.chipsnscratches.com.au

all the best,

lauschie

• 1 month later...

In some of the different Corolla colours, the touch up paint supplied is dodgy as.

I got some paint mixed up from scratch which is a much closer match.

Its quite thick in the tin so i just pour out an extremely small quantity and use a little thinners to thin it down.

Its easier to work with this way.

Then touch up the chip with a fine tipped brush, you'll notice that the new paint isn't as thick. Leave to dry overnight and then re-apply to fill in the chip some more, apply extra as necessary, until thickness is the same.

Any paint you have gotten ontop of your clear should be able to be removed with a paint cleaner, I use Meguiars.

Its not a effective as having your bonnet or bumper re-sprayed, but it'll stop you from cursing as much everytime you wash the car and are reminded of all those marks.

• 2 months later...

Further to whats been posted above I went to an automotive paint supplier and had a 200ml tin knocked up for $13... exact colour match. He suggested using the end of a match and dipping it in the paint and then applying to the stone chips.. as I've got a panama blue camry (the greenish/blue) the white stone chips were quite obvious... I used the end of a match and dabbed the paint on and you cant see unless you get up real close.

I hope that helps a little more :) Was also quite effective to touch up an area where some little b obviously scratched my car in a carpark.

• 3 weeks later...

Yah...i've tried my original touch up paint, and it's far too dark...it's almost black, and my car is dark blue (8P4)....wonder how much would it cost if I ask the panel beater to mix me some? and where?

I used fine tip toothpick...work ok :)

Yah...i've tried my original touch up paint, and it's far too dark...it's almost black, and my car is dark blue (8P4)....wonder how much would it cost if I ask the panel beater to mix me some? and where?

I heard Autobarn can knock up a can of paint (any colour in spray form available too) for around $20 or $25. Im getting one done soon (not spray form) to touch up all the damn chips on my front lip.

Yeah - Autobarn said around that price for a small can... a bit more for it in an aerosol, so I went to a local automotive paint supplier and as above it was $13 for a tin which matches exactly and worked fantastic.. went on flat. If there is a good auto paint supplier around I would try them over Autobarn, simply because theyre making it constantly daily... he also gave me great advice on other areas and was very helpful, have been back to see him since regarding spoiler i picked up.

I use a toothpick too, but im really bad at it.

And yes the paint toyota supply is literally black when it dries....

When i had to get my bumper repainted the guy @ Dsports gave me a bottle of touch up.

Actually had the bottle of touch up in my car on Sydney meet night should have asked me Vincent, ill bring it again next time.

• 2 weeks later...

Just a further update... I had another go the other day when the car was clean: I used a toothpick and dipped it in the paint wiping excess off on edge of tin.. You then just dab it on the chip/scratch, let it dry for like 1-2 seconds and with a soft cloth, like a rag, rub it off & in. It actually worked really really well and was quite effective on the deeper scratches on the car.. the best part is you cant actually SEE it at all.. I hope I described that well.. try at your own risk I guess!

I use a toothpick too, but im really bad at it.

And yes the paint toyota supply is literally black when it dries....

When i had to get my bumper repainted the guy @ Dsports gave me a bottle of touch up.

Actually had the bottle of touch up in my car on Sydney meet night should have asked me Vincent, ill bring it again next time.

oh, Thanks Ken, you're very kind :)

I am thinking of getting my eye lids paint at the place you recommend, not now becos i am a bit tight, but soon, i hope, then i'll ask him to mix me some too. :)

• 1 year later...

BUMP

Any further ideas on using touchup paint to fill minor stone damage? Anyone developed a good technique

(FYI I have cascade blue, 8P4)

Also as I was doing a lot of travelling, I put some clear nail varnish into one scratch as it went through the powdercoat - shall I paint over the top, or strip it?

• 4 weeks later...

After having my corolla rebuilt, paint was needed. Believe it or not, i had damn good results with Autobarn. I gave them the paint code (in my case, 8P4 = cascade blue) they mixed it up to whatever specs they had for it...

The trick is in the application. Go ultra light...let it dry. It will dry lighter than the rest. Then you give it some more later on, eventually it gets darker.