Do I need a new head unit...

elbowz17

Hey Rolla Lovers,

I'm in the process of updating the sound system in my '05 Stivo and although I don't like the look of the standard head unit I do like the functionality. I mean it has the 6 stacker and MP3 capabilities - which is great - but can I run an Amp & Sub off the standard unit for greater bass.

I'm thinking of using the current standard front & rear speakers for treb only while I upgrade to bigger (clearer) bass by hooking up an Alpine Mono amp (1x600W) to a 12" Alpine Type R sub. I've heard the gear in the car of a friend of mine (200SX) and it sounds great but he's got a new unit, splits, amps & sub.

So any suggestions would be awesome..

Cheers Guys & Girls

Elbowz :D

Hey,

I had no money to buy a new deck, therefore I just bought an RCA converter.. cost me around $30 from JayCar .. then got the amp installed. The stock tweeters are great, and also the sub sounds excellent inside the car. Cheap, but good enough for me.

as ic3man said, it can be done with an rca converter, but the sound quality won't be as good as RCA. If you're not after top notch sound and you really wanna stick with your deck, then this is the way to go.

Otherwise as mello said, i would suggest that you update your deck first, then add your other stuff like amps and subs... you can pick up a decent head unit with MP3 capability and CD changer support for pretty cheap these days.

Apart from cost, the only real advantage to keeping the stock unit is that it will look like a stock stereo system.. if you're putting an alpine sub and a monoblock amp in your car, i reckon you should just go all out and get yourself a nice deck first.

as ic3man said, it can be done with an rca converter, but the sound quality won't be as good as RCA. If you're not after top notch sound and you really wanna stick with your deck, then this is the way to go.

Otherwise as mello said, i would suggest that you update your deck first, then add your other stuff like amps and subs... you can pick up a decent head unit with MP3 capability and CD changer support for pretty cheap these days.

Apart from cost, the only real advantage to keeping the stock unit is that it will look like a stock stereo system.. if you're putting an alpine sub and a monoblock amp in your car, i reckon you should just go all out and get yourself a nice deck first.

u wont have any control over the sub with the sotck deck either ...

get a decent deck and ur whole system automatically sounds that much better! i got a pioneer P1Y .. i liek it but reckon the 7750mp is better for ease of use.

I have been running a Sony amp with an Earthquake sub off my standard deck.

Most amps will have a High Pass and a Low Pass input. The low pass is usually the RCA Input while the high pass is a standard speaker wire input.

Mine runs tandem off the rears into the high pass. If I want to turn the bass down, I fade towards the front.

The other option is if you want a tone of MP3's (ie cause you have a 6-stacker with MP3 now) then a lot of new head units (I know there is a Kenwood and a Pioneer with this) have an auxillary input, so you can have some RCA's hanging under your dash or into your glovebox for your line out on your i-Pod or MP3 Player to plug into....

If they don't have all the wiring, and just the RCA input, then you only need to buy a 3.5mm jack - RCA converter from Harvey Norman or WOW or something for about $10.00

I've read what you guys have read, and you've now talked me into finding a head unit..

I quite like a few decks, but Pioneer and JVC have some of the more funky ones. I found the Pioneer 9650 and JVC Exad.

I've attached a picture FYI - what do you think??

The JVC has a built-it 3in monitor which you can watch DVDs etc on.. The pioneer is MP3 with graphics..

I'm leaning towards the JVC..

Elbowz :)

post-911-1134906421.jpg

Edited by elbowz17