A fix to the "low end" problems of the stivo

Okey dokes, here is my idea I got whilst driving in my auto 1zze with the stivo cat back.

I'm getting low torque in my low revs coz my engine doesn't have good scavanging as the pipe diameter is too large. But in mid and higher revs (from 60 km/h to 80 km/h) i have vastly improved acceleration. Again I figure this is because the engine is working harder and pumping out more exhuast gases, which by now the volume of which is sufficient to see some effect scavanging occuring.

So my problem with my low end is too large a pipe.

Now, in a 2zze, the low cam out put is less than a 1zze, so this combined a large diameter exhuast may be the cause of the bad low end. So if you pop a smaller diamater pipe on, will it fix the problem?

Now i figure someone with workshop backgrounds like silvabullet might be able to pop a 1zze exhuast on for a week or so and see what happens?

Edited by negatron

you will kill the top end in a BIG way if you put on a 1zz-fe system onto a 2zz-ge. The 2zz was built for top end so its prolly not a good idea to kill that in favour of bottom end.

Yes, but first we need to determine if a smaller pipe will fix the problem. Then a clever valve/switching system and a dual pipe system will fix that easy since lift engages at a set point.

The key point is, someone should try it out,and see how the car/engine reacts!

Edited by negatron

I see what your point is and in theory it may work but when the CES system was developed the gains were shown from low down to the top end. In putting a smaller diameter pipe on a 2zz it may(and I stress the word may) improve the bottom end power up to say 2500 rpm but that would be it. After that it would just start to strangle it totally and hinder performance due to the restriction of a smaller pipe and more restrictive muffler and resonator off the 1zz. You also have to remember that the cylinder head design of the 2zz is totally different and flows more than a 1zz too.

All those who have a CES system will testify that the torque hole at 4000 to 6000rpm is vastly improved and then when you hit lift the grin on your face just gets wider. All of this is due to putting a larger diameter pipe on and more free flowing resonator/muffler combo. I really don't notice the lack of torque in my car anymore due to the fact of the CES system, TRD CAI and good tuning with Optimax extreme. My car isn't the torque monster Northy's car is(in stivo terms) off lift but even he commented just how responsive and crisp my car feels when you just punch it through the gears shifting at 3-3500rpm.

I see what your point is and in theory it may work but when the CES system was developed the gains were shown from low down to the top end. In putting a smaller diameter pipe on a 2zz it may(and I stress the word may) improve the bottom end power up to say 2500 rpm but that would be it. After that it would just start to strangle it totally and hinder performance due to the restriction of a smaller pipe and more restrictive muffler and resonator off the 1zz. You also have to remember that the cylinder head design of the 2zz is totally different and flows more than a 1zz too.

All those who have a CES system will testify that the torque hole at 4000 to 6000rpm is vastly improved and then when you hit lift the grin on your face just gets wider. All of this is due to putting a larger diameter pipe on and more free flowing resonator/muffler combo. I really don't notice the lack of torque in my car anymore due to the fact of the CES system, TRD CAI and good tuning with Optimax extreme. My car isn't the torque monster Northy's car is(in stivo terms) off lift but even he commented just how responsive and crisp my car feels when you just punch it through the gears shifting at 3-3500rpm.

*Hmmmm* there we go... the man has spoken.

I hit on this idea coz some of us in melbourne just met up with a new member who's stivo lives in low cam. Owned the car for a while but had never hit lift and will only use lift very occasionally. Conservative driver indeed!, in which case the above option might be an idea no?

P.s. or u can try convince him to swap cars with my torquey 1zze beast? :D

p.p.s I got a spare 1zze catback laying around if anyone wants it to explore the idea!

Edited by negatron

If im dragging the stivo doesnt see below 4000RPM from launch, then basically between 6000RPM and 8000RPM after 1st, so there as far as i am concerned there is no low end problem.

yer u dont buy a NA jap engine nto to rev it .. go back and watch initial D mate

haha

yer u dont buy a NA jap engine nto to rev it .. go back and watch initial D mate

haha

??????????????????????????????????????

2ZZ-GE engines are designed to run safely to 8200RPM (REDLINE).

So, if you dont rev an NA jap engine, whats the point?

or 8700 rpm's ;) ;) ;) ;) :D :D :D :D :D

or 8700 rpm's ;) ;) ;) ;) :D :D :D :D :D

Hey Bill, if i pay for the postage will you put the 1zze zorst on the car for a week?

Maybe the powerfc will implode! :lol:

how about making a pipe that increases in diameter as the rev range increases also :P

damn that would be cool....but imagine the logistics of it IF IT COULD BE DONE!!!!

Hey Craig! Haven't seen u online in a while, how's snowflake?

But yeah, i was thinking a dual pipe system that runs a switching flap in a Y- junction will do the trick!

In hi cam revs the flap closes the smaller diameter pipe and vice versa for low revs.

Yes, its lotsa work, but it sure is different!

yeah been very busy ..... only reason im posting today is cause im replicating a novell 2.5 file server over to a windows 2003 server.... ALOT OF FUN!!!!! not

and whilst i am replicating i have a few spare minutes to log on and say HELLO!!!!!!

interesting idea there....... kind of like an electronic baffle .... could work bit the logistics of geting it to move fast enough and smooth enough to make it worth while

whats the best exhaust pipe diameter for the 2zz engine? every exhaust place i ask say 2inch or max 2 1/4 but every1 in the usa say 2 1/2

I may be wrong but isn't sportivo stock pipe 2 inch anyway. It also looks like its stainless steel, but I could be wrong again