Sticky Dashboard?

Deb Moran

Took my Presara to my local dealers in Gympie, they say that Toyota won't do anything to cars over 10 years old.  My car is a 2007, has always been garaged and has only covered 35,000 ks.

It is as new apart from the sticky and cracked dash which gives off fumes in the heat.

Has anyone had any luck so far?

• 4 weeks later...

Hi have just taken over a 2008 Toyota Grande with only 74,000 kms on the speedo and it has a carpet over the dash to stop sun strike.

it also covers up a very sticky smelly substance 

love advice to either fix it or have it fixed.

thanks 

appreciate any help

regards 

john 

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry to be slightly off topic, I had my dashboard replaced in July 17 (as that was almost 10 years from manufacture), sadly as I was giving the inside of the car a clean I discovered that the dashboard is starting to melt again! I’m going to be contacting Toyota about the issue, but I suspect that I will be out of luck on getting it replaced after it had been already replaced. Has anyone else experienced this?

Cheers.

• Thanks 1

• 3 months later...

HI, my question is, that my Aurion Presara is 11 years old and a 2009 Model. How can I tell if it's a 40's series facelift ? It has no sticky dash !! Does that then suggest it is a facelift 40 series ? The dash is very soft to touch all over, not shiny and not sticky...

Any opinions appreciated

HI, my question is, that my Aurion Presara is 11 years old and a 2009 Model. How can I tell if it's a 40's series facelift ? It has no sticky dash !! Does that then suggest it is a facelift 40 series ? The dash is very soft to touch all over, not shiny and not sticky...

Any opinions appreciated

HI again. Sorry for starting another reply. But I found out my June build 2009 Aurion Presara, is not an update model. But the dash is fine !! I rang the dealer that sold and serviced the car for the first owner, and they have no record of a replacement dash having been put in. I don't  know why my dash is Ok... Its 11 years old !! No sticky at all. Its a gray coloured dash and it's quite soft to touch, perhaps This car got a into a batch of non stuffed dashes. Any opinions??

Edited by Bigmike62
Spelling

Hi Mike, I also have a 2009 Presara..Mine is the update model for that year but also..NO Dash issue at all..still perfect..i do maintain it by using good quality vinyl cleaner and protector on it but guess like you got lucky..so many didn't..so fingers crossed it stays that way..if it hasn't destroyed itself by now can't see it happening

KAA

Thanks for your input KAA.Im hoping your right. I've bought a dash protector anyhow. So strange how the majority of Aurions between 06 and 2011 are affected, but a small number are not !! My build was June 09, was your update car later in 09 ? 

Hi Mike yes mine is September 09, so yes I guess we are the lucky ones who are not affected..however I always keep and eye on the dash when cleaning the car and just do all I can to keep it protected..plus I do try to keep it garaged and when out use a windscreen shield, as the car is still perfect that is how i want to keep it..best car I have ever owned still ticks over like a swiss watch and super efficient on fuel..hope yours continues to be awesome

KAA

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/24/2019 at 6:00 PM, stanpreece@msn.com said:

Took my Presara to my local dealers in Gympie, they say that Toyota won't do anything to cars over 10 years old.  My car is a 2007, has always been garaged and has only covered 35,000 ks.

It is as new apart from the sticky and cracked dash which gives off fumes in the heat.

Typical mongrel dealer attitude. They know it's a problem and if they had a shred of decency, they'd do it for free.

Money hungry grubs.

• 2 months later...

Well, strap yourself in. I took my Presara to my local Gold Coast Toyota dealer for unrelated service. I have a rattle sound on start-up when the engine kicks over. Only for a short period and asked if it could become a serious problem. I was assured it would not. The advice was that it is from a VVTI controller. Not to worry, it is normal with age. It used to be repaired under warranty, but not applicable now. I commented on how I just missed out on the warranty for the sticky dash.

Enough of the prelim. Now for the good bit. The service agent said "lets have another look at that".

SHAZAM!! - I NOW HAVE A NEW DASH - STICKY ONE GONE.

Hope this helps others - GOOD LUCK.

LaurieM

• Like 3

Wow !! Looks like Gold Coast Toyota have a good moral compass compared to most. That is great news. I'm very happy for you. Something like that would really bother me.

A huge shout out to Gold Coast Toyota. 

I holiday'd there in January and love the place. The people there are so friendly unlike the animals here in Sydney.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 6 months later...

I decided not to worry too much about the sticky dash on my 2005 Aurion and spent $10 on a dash mat from China which fitted perfectly, I have swapped that mat into the 2007 Aurion I have just purchased, hey the car is 13 years old, it's my work transport so I'm not too worried as the mat takes away the sticky window reflection.

2 minutes ago, Hush said:

I decided not to worry too much about the sticky dash on my 2005 Aurion and spent $10 on a dash mat from China which fitted perfectly, I have swapped that mat into the 2007 Aurion I have just purchased, hey the car is 13 years old, it's my work transport so I'm not too worried as the mat takes away the sticky window reflection.

If that works for you, then there's nothing wrong with it.  I'd probably do the same mate.

After all these years, I'm still baffled how sticky dash syndrome ever happened in the first place. Someone wasn't paying attention in Chemistry class when they formulated the material for the "New" Aurion/Camry of that Era and it shouldn't have warranted a class action to get Toyota to recognise it stuffed up either.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/24/2019 at 5:00 PM, stanpreece@msn.com said:

My Presara 2008 has sticky and cracked dashboard, the car only runs 78000km and always in the garage since I bought it from Sci Fleet in Queensland.

I totally agree that’s a quality issue. Please count me in as one of plaintiffs against Toyota.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tony Prodigy said:

It shouldn't. There should be a stitched "flap" section by memory.

On my dashboard mat, there is a cut flap section.

Follow YouTube video shows that is going to work if the airbag does deploy.

2 years on my replacement dash is still holding up, the fit and finish/colour is not 100% and probably never will be... however its been exposed to the heat over those 2 years and not had any stickiness or degraded. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...