Front Rotors/pads

8 minutes ago, Tony Prodigy said:

Won't the ceramic pads chew the rotors though ?

Precisely why last night, I did an Internet search for Brake Rotor Wear and Ceramic Brake Pads.

https://www.bridgestonetire.com/tread-and-trend/drivers-ed/ceramic-vs-metallic-brake-pads

https://www.autoanything.com/resources/what-are-the-best-brake-pads-ceramic-or-semi-metallic/

Your question has reminded me of a story I heard in my younger days, many many years ago.

Fellow replaced his brake pads on his Fiat Sports with hard compound brake pads. Later he checked for pad wear and found out the rotor had worn down and pads were still as new.

Maybe I should buy that set of Remsa Ultra Ceramic brake pads sooner and see how much rotor wear I do get. If State borders are opened by October, I will do a 4,500 km round trip to see my sister. Just have to remember to do some before and after rotor thickness measurements.

I'd never heard of Remsa pads before and I'm definitely interested. Just had a quick look and the claims are pretty impressive. Also the low dust is a huge bonus as the bendix tends to make the wheels look dirty after a week.

I would certainly consider switching when my pads are due.

Your road test would be an excellent opportunity for feedback there Ash.

I might jack my car up today and check my brakes and possibly do another fluid flush if I can find my unopened DOT 3 bottles..

I have plenty of DOT 4 for my other car. Is there a reason why DOT 4 can't be used on our Aurions ?? I recall you saying a while back that you did use DOT 4 and then you switched back to DOT 3. 

Edited by Tony Prodigy

20 minutes ago, Tony Prodigy said:

Is there a reason why DOT 4 can't be used on our Aurions ?? I recall you saying a while back that you did use DOT 4 and then you switched back to DOT 3. 

This would have been because of a past post in this Forum regarding compatability with the seals in the braking system. Better to be safe than sorry.

https://www.toymods.org.au/forums/threads/33090-Brake-Fluid-DOT4-or-DOT3

27 minutes ago, Tony Prodigy said:

Also the low dust is a huge bonus as the bendix tends to make the wheels look dirty after a week.

Reminds me of a set of brake pads that I bought on eBay. They made the wheel covers black. Must have been a really soft compound because I ended up replacing them about 12 months later. I am very light on the brakes and original brake pads on the 1998 Camry [bought new] lasted for 100,000+ kms.

Just now, campbeam said:

This would have been because of a past post in this Forum regarding compatability with the seals in the braking system. Better to be safe than sorry.

https://www.toymods.org.au/forums/threads/33090-Brake-Fluid-DOT4-or-DOT3

That thread was partly hilarious. Those boys don't play nice 😁😁

So basically Dot 3 and Dot 4 are the same except the DOT 4 has a higher boiling point. (big deal, I don't race or abuse my cars either). So I can probably say that DOT4 can be used as the two will mix albeit after I do a flush it will all be pretty much DOT 4 in there anyway.

It also stated that the DOT 3 and DOT 4 are made up of the same substances so I don't think the seals will be affected. just not sure which is more hygroscopic, which also begs the question how often to flush the fluid to reduce the long term effects of moisture ingress. I would think annually would be easy to achieve rather than the typical 2 years for what it's worth hey Ash ?

I might just go ahead and use the DOT 4. I have 10 Brembo DOT 4 x 500ml bottles

s-l500.jpg

5 minutes ago, campbeam said:

Reminds me of a set of brake pads that I bought on eBay. They made the wheel covers black. Must have been a really soft compound because I ended up replacing them about 12 months later. I am very light on the brakes and original brake pads on the 1998 Camry [bought new] lasted for 100,000+ kms.

I'm also like you in the driving dept. I drive my Aurion smoothly and am also gentle on brakes and cornering. It's not a hoon car and I actually enjoy driving it the way I do. If I need to over take on the freeway I have every confidence it will destroy most cars. It's a real Jekyll and Hyde car. Love it !

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Tony Prodigy said:

not sure which is more hygroscopic

I understand that DOT3 is more hygroscopic.

25 minutes ago, Tony Prodigy said:

I drive my Aurion smoothly and am also gentle on brakes and cornering

Fast is smooth and smooth is fast. I reckon that I am smooth and fast in cornering on suburban streets. Slow down to enter, halfway point quick look to see road is still clear then accelerate letting the front wheel drive pull the vehicle through the corner.

30 minutes ago, Tony Prodigy said:

If I need to over take on the freeway I have every confidence

Aurion accelerates from 100kph and keeps on going. Overtaking a semi-trailer on the highway is quick and easy. I feel so much safer not having to be in the danger zone of oncoming traffic for a long time. Also lots of fun safely overtaking towing vehicles using the highway overtaking lanes.

Just now, campbeam said:

I understand that DOT3 is more hygroscopic

Yes. I had a chance to do a quick online search and it seems that the DOT4 is the way to go. DOT 3 is pretty antiquated by modern standards.

Just now, campbeam said:

Slow down to enter, halfway point quick look to see road is still clear then accelerate letting the front wheel drive pull the vehicle through the corner.

That's the way I like to drive too. I don't want to scrub the edges of the tyres unnecessarily either.

Just now, campbeam said:

Aurion accelerates from 100kph and keeps on going. Overtaking a semi-trailer on the highway is quick and easy. I feel so much safer not having to be in the danger zone of oncoming traffic for a long time. Also lots of fun safely overtaking towing vehicles using the highway overtaking lanes.

That's 200KW of V6 power mate !! 

4 CYL cars scream and protest and don't fill me with as much confidence as a V6 car does.

8 minutes ago, Tony Prodigy said:

That's 200KW of V6 power mate !! 

4 CYL cars scream and protest

Exactly so and got nothing to prove.

Always laughing at the 4 cylinder cars screaming by me on the city streets thinking about how much the poor engine's neck is being wrung. Sometimes I can be naughty and encourage them to wring it even more. No officer, I was merely accelerating safely to the speed limit.

On an equal basis, 2000rpm in a 6 = 3000 rpm in a 4.

Just now, campbeam said:

Sometimes I can be naughty and encourage them to wring it even more.

This is funny. I did this once to an impatient driver who just wanted to pass everyone on the freeway. I was watching him in my rear view doing the old zig zag in and out of traffic manouvre.. out of my way...Mr important is coming through... I am entitled ....bla bla bla..

He comes right up to my tail hoping I'd speed up, then quickly goes for the overtake and as he's screaming by slowly I gently push my right foot and glide away, then pause as he starts pushing forward knowing he either has to floor it and hope to get by or just swallow his big ego and fall back in line. He chose the latter. I get these gronks all the time lol..

That was funny to watch. 

Lesson to all those. Don't underestimate an Aurion hahahahaha !!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Tony Prodigy said:

Don't underestimate an Aurion

Also do not underestimate a 2.4 litre Camry being driven by a mama bear with an injured cub going for medical assistance. She told me later that she would have been doing 100kph. I reckon that she would have been giving the OEM rotors and brake pads a good workout in those circumstances.

One of my boys was wicket keeper at a Saturday match. Not wearing a helmet that day when he stopped a fast ball with his mouth. 2 front teeth knocked clean out. All ended up ok compliments of a family friend who was a retired dentist, happened to be available and able to access what he needed at his old practice to put the teeth back in. Also hospitals were useless because all the necessary dental equipment was behind locked doors until Monday. 

out of my way...Mr important is coming through... I am entitled ....

Lots of ways you can mess with the entitled.

ex-wife was telling me about what she did to a truck that was barrelling along a back road bullying cars to not have right of way at a roundabout. She made as if she was also entitled, not slowing for the roundabout then braked at the last moment.Truck driver must have been fully convinced that the silly woman was not looking and locked up the tyres in a panic brake. Guess he would have had a brown undies moment with all tyres locked up and barrelling straight ahead up and over the roundabout.  

Just now, campbeam said:

Also do not underestimate a 2.4 litre Camry being driven by a mama bear with an injured cub going for medical assistance. She told me later that she would have been doing 100kph. I reckon that she would have been giving the OEM rotors and brake pads a good workout in those circumstances.

One of my boys was wicket keeper at a Saturday match. Not wearing a helmet that day when he stopped a fast ball with his mouth. 2 front teeth knocked clean out. All ended up ok compliments of a family friend who was a retired dentist, happened to be available and able to access what he needed at his old practice to put the teeth back in. Also hospitals were useless because all the necessary dental equipment was behind locked doors until Monday. 

I hear you man. That would've had me going like the clappers too lol.

I didn't know you could put teeth back in though. Good to hear your boy was ok mate. Shocking stuff.

Just now, campbeam said:

Lots of ways you can mess with the entitled.

ex-wife was telling me about what she did to a truck that was barrelling along a back road bullying cars to not have right of way at a roundabout. She made as if she was also entitled, not slowing for the roundabout then braked at the last moment.Truck driver must have been fully convinced that the silly woman was not looking and locked up the tyres in a panic brake. Guess he would have had a brown undies moment with all tyres locked up and barrelling straight ahead up and over the roundabout.  

I can't stand those types of truckers. It's bad enough they hog the fast lanes to overtake at a snail's pace and then have the gaul to keep you locked in behind for many kays before the "entitled" one finally decides to move over. Must be a trucker control thing, I don't know..

I'm glad your wife gave the correct dose of medicine. I'm sure his attitude sharpened up quick smart afterwards lol...Good for her. 👍 

Hi guys..just bought online the Bendix Ultimate Pads, paid $99 for the pair, discounted down from $144. Also, got a quote from my mechanic for Labour and oil flush, refill. He quoted me $200. I supply the rotors and pads.. so it's looking like sub $550 for the whole task. Seems reasonable to me..

3 minutes ago, Bigmike62 said:

Hi guys..just bought online the Bendix Ultimate Pads, paid $99 for the pair, discounted down from $144. Also, got a quote from my mechanic for Labour and oil flush, refill. He quoted me $200. I supply the rotors and pads.. so it's looking like sub $550 for the whole task. Seems reasonable to me..

Yes Bigmike, That's seems fair and reasonable. If you trust the guy then why not. $200 for labour isn't much. I'd happily pay that if I couldn't do the job myself, but as I am still willing and able I still like to do all the servicing myself.

It's a good feeling having fresh pads and rotors. The car will drive even nicer. :thumbsup:

• Thanks 1

Went online this morning and ordered the brake pads.

I decided to get the Remsa pads based on the advice here. Got 2 sets for the front and 1 for the rear. The prices were pretty good so I said why not.

An extra set on the shelf for when required. I don't have to worry about brake pads for a while now..

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Remsa-Ultra-Ceramic-Rear-Brake-Pads-1285-02UC-DB1475-Camry-Aurion-Avalon/254531108722?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Remsa-Ultra-Ceramic-Front-Disc-Brake-Pads-1467-02UC/192911354669?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

I don't have to worry about brake pads for a while now..

Same here. Got a new set of front pads plus spare used pads. Worked out I have probably got about 5 years or more before I really need to buy brake pads.  

On 4/10/2020 at 8:56 AM, Tony Prodigy said:

That thread was partly hilarious. Those boys don't play nice 😁😁

So basically Dot 3 and Dot 4 are the same except the DOT 4 has a higher boiling point. (big deal, I don't race or abuse my cars either). So I can probably say that DOT4 can be used as the two will mix albeit after I do a flush it will all be pretty much DOT 4 in there anyway.

It also stated that the DOT 3 and DOT 4 are made up of the same substances so I don't think the seals will be affected. just not sure which is more hygroscopic, which also begs the question how often to flush the fluid to reduce the long term effects of moisture ingress. I would think annually would be easy to achieve rather than the typical 2 years for what it's worth hey Ash ?

I might just go ahead and use the DOT 4. I have 10 Brembo DOT 4 x 500ml bottles

s-l500.jpg

I was also hesitant about putting DOT4 in my car, but the manual calls for the brake fluid to meet SAE Standard J1703, which Castrol DOT4 does (the one i used). My rotors are due for replacement too (below spec) so going to put DBA rotors and Brembo pads in. 

28 minutes ago, campbeam said:

Same here. Got a new set of front pads plus spare used pads. Worked out I have probably got about 5 years or more before I really need to buy brake pads.  

If you've got five, then I should probably see another 6 to 7 given the Remsa pads claim to last longer than the bendix. Damn.. That'll also mean I'll be 7 years older too.. DOH !!!

7 minutes ago, nzzr6 said:

I was also hesitant about putting DOT4 in my car, but the manual calls for the brake fluid to meet SAE Standard J1703, which Castrol DOT4 does (the one i used). My rotors are due for replacement too (below spec) so going to put DBA rotors and Brembo pads in. 

Dot 4 and even the DOT 5.1 is fine.

Not to be confused with DOT 5. That's a silicon based fluid and NOT to be used in modern cars. It's mainly for industrial machinery.

Actually I'm considering eventually moving to the DOT5.1. Same as DOT 3 and 4, with an even higher boiling point than DOT 4. Scotty Kilmer claims it to be the best brake fluid ever made and he's no lunatic either 😂

2 hours ago, Tony Prodigy said:

I'm considering eventually moving to the DOT5.1

2 hours ago, Tony Prodigy said:

manual calls for the brake fluid to meet SAE Standard J1703

I will be more focussed upon meeting the required SAE Standard J1703. Still nice to have a higher specification especially if the fluid is getting overdue for replacement.

https://epicbleedsolutions.com/blogs/faq/whats-the-difference-between-dot-4-and-dot-5-1-brake-fluid#

https://www.castrol.com/en_au/australia/home/products/car/brake-fluids.html#tab_castrol-react-performance-dot4

9 hours ago, campbeam said:

I will be more focussed upon meeting the required SAE Standard J1703. Still nice to have a higher specification especially if the fluid is getting overdue for replacement.

https://epicbleedsolutions.com/blogs/faq/whats-the-difference-between-dot-4-and-dot-5-1-brake-fluid#

https://www.castrol.com/en_au/australia/home/products/car/brake-fluids.html#tab_castrol-react-performance-dot4

I wonder how many DOT 3 or DOT 4 that actually don't meet SAE standard ? I wouldn't think many would exist. 

Castrol always inspire confidence in their products. I've been using Castrol fluids in my BMW for the past 12 years and never had a problem.

In fact, Just recently I did the diff oil, flushed the brake fluid and the engine oil. All Castrol. Have yet to do the manual transmission and coolant.

Castrol always inspire confidence in their products.

Agree with you, as per usal, to date. lol

I have not seen any marketing from Castrol since the Öils aínt oils campaign from many years ago. Penrite and Nulon are in the forefront.

It is always your perception of the quality and pricing equation before you part with your $$$