Front Rotors/pads

@Tony Prodigy I'm amazed that you've gone through pads so regularly - how many kms has she covered during each swap ? I know that I personally do a lot of fwy kms on my car which helps with longevity but I'd be very surprised if my car would need pads so often. Usually in a much lighter Celica the OEM pads will easily do 200K kms before thinking about a swap & it's usually the rears first. My Aurion is nearing 90K kms & everything is still factory OEM.

3 minutes ago, ZZT86 said:

I'm amazed that you've gone through pads so regularly - how many kms has she covered during each swap ?

Here's a snippet of a previous post.

Longevity........

The First brake pad change (Bendix), Oct 14th 2017 to Aug 2nd 2020, lasting 2 years and 10 months..
Original pads lasting 5 years and 6 months 
(Car is an Oct MY2012, first registered in April following year), and the first 40K not driven by us.

Second brake pad set (Remsa), Aug 2nd, 2020  to April 13th 2023, so pads lasting 2 years and 8 months.

Third brake pad set (Remsa)  April 13th, 2023 Current. We'll see how long these will last. They should similar to the above time frame I'm guessing.

In a nut shell, the original pads lasted 5 years, 6 months and the following 2 changes at just under 3 years each.  It's a lot of local driving that takes its toll. I can't say for sure what my wife's driving style is like as I've never been in the Aurion while she's at the wheel. Usually the other way around when we go out as a family. She uses it to commute to and from work, shopping etc. I use my own car mostly. 

Also, to be fair, the pads I'm replacing aren't all the way finished. I would estimate that I'm replacing them when the pads are down to around 15-20 %. 

I like to replace them this way so there's no chance of getting metal to metal contact. Usually when they're that low anyway, the brakes feel like crap and I don't feel comfortable leaving them this way, but if you were to leave them to go longer, I'm sure another 6 months or so could be got. Not really worth it in my estimation,

I'm trying to find out if Akebono make pads for the Aurion. Apparently they are the world leading maker of OEM brake pads and are the OEM supplier to most car makers including Toyota.

I suspect the Genuine Toyota brake pads could well be Akebono pads.

If Scotty Kilmer says they're good, then I believe him.

Edited by Tony Prodigy
  • Like 1

You mentioned Akebono the other day & I've just come across them on a Lexus forum, they would be these https://akebonobrakes.mypartfinder.com/ 

Part # ACT1222A or ASP1222A for V6 Camry or Lexus ES350.

I'm wondering if they're anything like the Forza pads I use on my Hachi. They're available for the Aurion but the lead time atm if like beyond a year ! The Akebonos might be worth a try 👍

Edited by ZZT86
  • Thanks 1