CH-R recall

ChittyChittyCHR

According to Toyota Australia's statement for the C-HR recall, on the 24th November 2017 they are posting out a letter of notification to all affected C-HR owners.

It pretty much impacts all Australian C-HR owners that had their vehicle built prior to 10th October 2017.

Fortunately this recall fix is fairly simple and does not require any mechanical work to be done to the car or its electronic park brake.  Toyota service centre's will only require to update the vehicle's  software (via the connector under the bonnet release latch) in order to reprogram the Skid Control ECU.  Should take around 30 mins or so.

Regards

Julian.

3 hours ago, The Green Machine said:

Fortunately this recall fix is fairly simple and does not require any mechanical work to be done to the car or its electronic park brake.  Toyota service centre's will only require to update the vehicle's  software (via the connector under the bonnet release latch) in order to reprogram the Skid Control ECU.  Should take around 30 mins or so.

That's Good to know :smile:

On 12/3/2017 at 9:28 PM, Surfsideminer said:

Only one recall so far... No bad for a new model on a new chassis.

Waiting for my letter.

My C-HR was built in June 2017, just over 6 months after initial production began in Japan in December 2016.  So I would have expected that they would have sorted out all the 'bugs' by the time my C-HR was built. 

Fortunately this recall is a simple fix that only requires reprogramming of the Skid Control ECU, and does not involve any mechanical work to be done to the vehicle or its electronic park brake.

I haven't received my recall letter as yet too.  I think Toyota Australia is posting these letters out progressively in batches based in order of VIN number or when the vehicle was sold, and not posting  out to all 4800 C-HR owners at once, otherwise Toyota service centres would be inundated in one hit to fix all these vehicles as opposed to spreading out the recall fix over several months.

13 minutes ago, The Green Machine said:

So I would have expected that they would have sorted out all the 'bugs' by the time my C-HR was built. 

Expect nothing.

10+ year old cars still have issues(think airbags).

Be thankful that it is a minor recall. You made the right decision and bought Toyota.

Hyundai and Kia are currently doing a major recall of 1.2M vehicles due to engine failures to check/repair and replace engines.

Went to my online Dashboard:

See below for your vehicle’s past and outstanding recalls. Please contact your dealer if you have any questions.

DATE PUBLISHED DESCRIPTION STATUS  
  November 2017 C-HR SKID CONTROL ECU REPROGRAM Outstanding DETAILS

Outstanding Recall Details:

• Notification date: 20/11/2017

• Recall code: GGG8x

• Recall description: C-HR SKID CONTROL ECU REPROGRAM

• What your Dealer will review:

• NGX50 CVT CHECK CAL FILE ID

• NGX50 CVT PROGRAM SKID CONTROL ECU

• NGX50 CVT REPLACE + REFLASH ECU

• 2 weeks later...

It looks like this recall will also involve the fitment of a plastic cover to be placed over or under the fingerwell of the EPB switch on the centre console.  

I've been informed this is to prevent people from placing an object in this fingerwell possibly causing the EPB switch lever to engage when the CVT transmission lever is moved downwards.

On 12/18/2017 at 4:05 PM, ChittyChittyCHR said:

Got mine today. The cover looks the same to my eye. Although I can hear the mechanics talking about the cover because my dash cam was running as they worked. ;)

IMG_1797.JPG

Did the mechanics actually replace your EPB cover ?  

My plastic cover looks exactly the same as your photo and  I haven't even had my car go in for the recall yet.  My car was built in June 2017.

On 19/12/2017 at 8:24 PM, The Green Machine said:

Did the mechanics actually replace your EPB cover ?  

My plastic cover looks exactly the same as your photo and  I haven't even had my car go in for the recall yet.  My car was built in June 2017.

The one in the photo is the original, but it sounds like cars earlier in the production run didn't come with this as standard.  I'm also June 2017.  So the recall for me was software patch, anyone earlier will also get the new cover which sounds like they would have done at first service anyway.

• 4 weeks later...

That is the difference between the original design team and the follow-up hazard removal team. I expect that the original design team considered the design from a human factors perspective and ease of removal for racing as opposed to the engineering risk of someone placing items in the hole rendering the brake switch ineffective. We live in a world where the lowest common denominator has to be factored in at all levels.

• 1 month later...

Just had my recall done with the 15000 service and I got this Brake cover too. 

Mine was set, as I assume most of you would have also, as Auto apply with park Position.

I never go near the EPB switch so I am a bit annoyed with this new cover which looks to my eye a bit ugly

And now I have nowhere for my garage remote to sit

On 3/14/2018 at 4:19 AM, Southpatt said:

And now I have nowhere for my garage remote to sit

That was why they did it... Too many people putting things into the space and causing issues.