1ZZ-fe Engine underrtaed?

Interesting, but with all the Dyno Runs we've done here across the nation, we know the loss is about 20% on average.

So

Corolla 2zz-ge

141kw x 0.80 = 112kw

Corolla 1zz-fe

100kw x 0.80 = 80kw

Although it's true that some manufacturers will understate power figures for marketing reasons, I don't think it's the case here.

Also, if the original 100kw figure was understated, when the engine was fitted with tighter emission controls lowering output, Toyota would still have advertised the car as 100kw, not 93kw, because the original figure was understated... But they didn't, meaning the original figure wasn't understated.

Interesting, but with all the Dyno Runs we've done here across the nation, we know the loss is about 20% on average.

So

Corolla 2zz-ge

141kw x 0.80 = 112kw

Corolla 1zz-fe

100kw x 0.80 = 80kw

Although it's true that some manufacturers will understate power figures for marketing reasons, I don't think it's the case here.

Also, if the original 100kw figure was understated, when the engine was fitted with tighter emission controls lowering output, Toyota would still have advertised the car as 100kw, not 93kw, because the original figure was understated... But they didn't, meaning the original figure wasn't understated.

Also remember engines and drivetrains are not made equal, some will have more loss than others. ;)

Very true :)

But we can bolt on a supercharger without changing internals.

then while your revvign past 7k ill be in 3rd 4 lengths past you :P

Actually bill it was proven that s/c 1zz-fe = stock 2zz-ge

we have a s/c 1zz in NSW he just doesnt join us anymore due to the above relization :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

1ZZFE more efficent than 2ZZFE in US?

I think its just probably tuned slightly different. Look at the spec for the mr2 and the corolla..100kw for corolla and 103kw for the mr2.....same engine.....slightly different tuning....

Very true :)

But we can bolt on a supercharger without changing internals.

then while your revvign past 7k ill be in 3rd 4 lengths past you :P

Actually bill it was proven that s/c 1zz-fe = stock 2zz-ge

we have a s/c 1zz in NSW he just doesnt join us anymore due to the above relization :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

I had a silver (sounded supercharged) 1zz sedan zoom up beside me one afternoon on the Princess Hwy <_< had a TRD sticker on the back, i was lucky i had a passenger otherwise i would have had a go at this 1zz.. and also bcuz a Porsche Boxster that overtook me was pulled over shortly after by a cop hiding somewhere..

1ZZFE more efficent than 2ZZFE in US?

I think its just probably tuned slightly different. Look at the spec for the mr2 and the corolla..100kw for corolla and 103kw for the mr2.....same engine.....slightly different tuning....

The difference in power is most likely to be the exhaust system. MR2 system is quite a lot shorter. :D

or it could be the fact that the MR2 revs to 6750 rpm whereas the rolla cuts out at 6400, when it is still making power.

PS. Stivos are slow, 1zz is much quicker...<cough>

PPS. Just read that document, it is a crock of crap. Using that guy's supposed drivetrain loss and hp figures, a stock 1zz should be making ~93kw atw and a stivo ~122kw atw.

Edited by Mintos

or it could be the fact that the MR2 revs to 6750 rpm whereas the rolla cuts out at 6400, when it is still making power.

PS. Stivos are slow, 1zz is much quicker...<cough>

PPS. Just read that document, it is a crock of crap. Using that guy's supposed drivetrain loss and hp figures, a stock 1zz should be making ~93kw atw and a stivo ~122kw atw.

Haha..........isn't that our deepest wish..that stock 1zz and stivo puting out that power at the wheel..... :P

actually if you kept reading he suggests that the corolla's loose around about 20% of their power through the drive train..... i beleive that it is more like 16%. i have seen a stock stivo produce 118kW atw...... that is a loss of only 16%.

20% loss is a bit hard to believe, considering that most rear wheel drives only loose between 20 -25% through their ridiculously long drive trains.....

something to think about..... if my calcuations are correct, the 1ZZ puts out about 84kw atw stock ;)

16% is a little optomistic. It's around 25%, the drivetrains on both the 1zz and 2zz eat power. Since the average Stivo has about 105kW atw, this is about 25% loss. The average 1zz has about 75kW atw which again is about 25%. You can't use the odd freak car that makes 118kW to make those sort of assumptions.

Just wanted to add something to this since that docs in my webspace ;)

I didn't do the write up: I found it while searching for 1zzfe stuff a while back and put it up there so i could read it while at work.

I can't remember the site i got it off either - think it was in the spyderchat forums but can't be sure.

:)

16% is a little optomistic. It's around 25%, the drivetrains on both the 1zz and 2zz eat power. Since the average Stivo has about 105kW atw, this is about 25% loss. The average 1zz has about 75kW atw which again is about 25%. You can't use the odd freak car that makes 118kW to make those sort of assumptions.

...IzzeFE did 79KW atw with just a remus muffler... ;) if i didn't fart during the dyno run, i reckon' he would've gotten 80kw easy...contaminated air - its a drainer :rolleyes:

:unsure: i wonder how much the 2zz would be ahead in a race track against a 1zz :lol: