How do YOU lot maintain a leather interior ?

TommyM

I'm actually curious too see how you/some of you actually maintain your leather interior ?.

Myself owning an Avalon, technically different leather used, and alot more genuine stuff, just what Toyota did years ago, but even still.... maintenance is the same !

Personally because i know people with horses, etc. I generally clean the leather by hand with a PH neutral glycerine soap (cake of soap) or saddle soap.

Usually go with pears personally. But when it comes to the lengthy two step conditioning phase. I swear by oakwood leather conditioner, it's a truely brilliant product, alot of natural based ingredients too. I mean after all, my 04' Avalon has a tick over 240k on it yet my seats still look & feel incredibly soft/pliable thanks to Oakwood conditioner. The process is time consuming but if you use a proper soap to clean, then conditioner afterwards, leather will only need conditioning every 4 - 5 months roughly. Please by all means share how you people do it 🙃😄

New ideas, products, etc - all welcome

Note: i'm well aware i go above & beyond maintaining my leather. But that's me. 

Hope everyone's well !

• Like 1

These are just some examples which i shared in my Avalon thread, showing that minor shine oakwood conditioner leaves behind. Even after having my windows done by a good friend of mine, equally a car girl too, she was shocked with how well my leather is in person. How soft it still is, no tears, rips, etc

Minimal wrinkles (or "fold over" as i call it). 

20201116_015208.jpg

20201116_015104.jpg

• Like 1

There's really not much to say about leather treatment. The main thing is to clean the surface thoroughly before any treatment products are applied.

Everybody has their own product preferences and procedures that suits them, but the main thing is to get the leather nice and clean first.

If you don't want to buy any fancy leather cleaners and are on a budget, you can always use APC (all purpose cleaner), diluted to the correct dilution of course, and simply spray it on, scrub with a leather cleaning brush, wipe off, inspect, re scrub a second time if necessary, then after it's wiped clean and is dry, apply your favourite product.

The creamy based treatments really only nourish the leather to the point of keeping the leather soft and supple. If you want to go that extra mile, I'd recommend any ceramic based leather product as it not only protects from chemical contamination, but more importantly from U.V. rays too.

There are many excellent ceramic leather treatments available so I couldn't list them all. But from the one I have been using so far and am very happy with is the Gyeon Q2 Leather Shield. I have even gone as far as putting it on interior plastics too. Excellent product.

https://www.carcareproducts.com.au/q2-leather-shield-50-ml.html?gclid=Cj0KCQiAwMP9BRCzARIsAPWTJ_HurYdRqDaScO0nySwh1YMsx10ynlFnW8zG7WjFnLSMDfkSYJN3wp4aAvX6EALw_wcB

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tony Prodigy said:

There's really not much to say about leather treatment. The main thing is to clean the surface thoroughly before any treatment products are applied.

Everybody has their own product preferences and procedures that suits them, but the main thing is to get the leather nice and clean first.

If you don't want to buy any fancy leather cleaners and are on a budget, you can always use APC (all purpose cleaner), diluted to the correct dilution of course, and simply spray it on, scrub with a leather cleaning brush, wipe off, inspect, re scrub a second time if necessary, then after it's wiped clean and is dry, apply your favourite product.

The creamy based treatments really only nourish the leather to the point of keeping the leather soft and supple. If you want to go that extra mile, I'd recommend any ceramic based leather product as it not only protects from chemical contamination, but more importantly from U.V. rays too.

There are many excellent ceramic leather treatments available so I couldn't list them all. But from the one I have been using so far and am very happy with is the Gyeon Q2 Leather Shield. I have even gone as far as putting it on interior plastics too. Excellent product.

https://www.carcareproducts.com.au/q2-leather-shield-50-ml.html?gclid=Cj0KCQiAwMP9BRCzARIsAPWTJ_HurYdRqDaScO0nySwh1YMsx10ynlFnW8zG7WjFnLSMDfkSYJN3wp4aAvX6EALw_wcB

Gyeon Q2, seems like an interesting product.... this is why tint film helps significantly 😂😂 (or a good quality glass initially), i generally stick with natural products when it comes to leather, even though it's treated, etc.

I ask myself, would i put ceramic on my own face ?, nope hahaha. Either way i thought i'd start a thread because i didn't see one related to leather maintenance. 🙂

Naturally i'm curious about how people do theirs, etc - just being open minded 

4 minutes ago, TommyM said:

I ask myself, would i put ceramic on my own face ?, nope hahaha.

Funny you should say that, but, leather protection technologies have come a very long way since the old days of cream. Me personally, I don't like the greasy feel or that sheen the cream based products deliver. I prefer it to look more natural. Ceramic coatings are supreme in this respect. No colour change or to the way it looks. It pretty much covers all the bases. A nice invisible layer of protection.

I used to use a Meguiars leather cream product and have since discontinued using it. I don't think there are many people who still use cream based products in their cars anymore to be honest. Maybe a different thing in the saddlery world where those tough leathers need as much conditioning as you can give them, but for car leather I'm more inclined to go ceramic for that more durable protection.

The only leather experience I've ever had is with the steering wheels on my 86 & I used the Duragloss cleaner & conditioner. The cleaner does a rippa job and the conditioner also but with a slight sheen which I prefer not to have. I always wipe it down well with a MF afterwards which achieves a matt result.

Soon I'll try the CarPro Cquartz Leather, I'm told it will leave the leather in the same condition after cleaning so we'll see how that goes. Main reason for use is long term UV protection, otherwise the Oakwood is something I'd be keen to try, I think it was @campbeam or @KAA that uses it also.

Edited by ZZT86
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, ZZT86 said:

Soon I'll try the CarPro Cquartz Leather, I'm told it will leave the leather in the same condition after cleaning so we'll see how that goes. Main reason for use is long term UV protection, otherwise the Oakwood is something I'd be keen to try, I think it was @campbeam or @KAA that uses it also.

I should've mentioned that ceramic leather treatment is really good for new leather or leather that is in excellent condition. If you have old leather that is obviously dried out and hardened, I would definitely use the cream based products to help restore the moisture. Leathers that are too far gone will benefit more from the cream based products.

Ceramic protection is more like the prevention rather than the cure. Take good care of it from the get go and it will stay excellent for decades. Future generations will thank you for it.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, ZZT86 said:

The only leather experience I've ever had is with the steering wheels on my 86 & I used the Duragloss cleaner & conditioner. The cleaner does a rippa job and the conditioner also but with a slight sheen which I prefer not to have. I always wipe it down well with a MF afterwards which achieves a matt result.

I am going to claim innocence and give KAA any credit. I do have some leather care products previously bought on special at Super Cheap Auto but have yet to apply them.

Recently fitted a leather steering wheel cover and gave it an application of AeroSpace 303 Protectorant as a trial. Hands got a bit sweaty on the last road trip so will be keen to actually start using my existing leather care products. 34C in Brisbane last Saturday so another reason to treat the steering wheel cover.

44 minutes ago, Tony Prodigy said:

I should've mentioned that ceramic leather treatment is really good for new leather or leather that is in excellent condition. If you have old leather that is obviously dried out and hardened, I would definitely use the cream based products to help restore the moisture. Leathers that are too far gone will benefit more from the cream based products.

Ceramic protection is more like the prevention rather than the cure. Take good care of it from the get go and it will stay excellent for decades. Future generations will thank you for it.

I'll have to look into it, my leather is still soft suprisingly. Only part that's dry'ish is the most sun exposed parcel shelf section but it's not cracked. Rest is super soft

4 minutes ago, campbeam said:

I am going to claim innocence and give KAA any credit. I do have some leather care products previously bought on special at Super Cheap Auto but have yet to apply them.

Recently fitted a leather steering wheel cover and gave it an application of AeroSpace 303 Protectorant as a trial. Hands got a bit sweaty on the last road trip so will be keen to actually start using my existing leather care products. 34C in Brisbane last Saturday so another reason to treat the steering wheel cover.

Yeah that 303 protectant i might invest in when i run out of my current scotch guard infused batch lol. Can't hurt to try 😄

I got suprisingly colour matched leather steering wheel cover for my Avalon to preserve my wood sections on my wheel (no pun intended) lol.

Matches the grey perfectly, i like looking at the old school wood wheel but i choose to preserve it 🙃

Edited by TommyM

16 minutes ago, campbeam said:

Recently fitted a leather steering wheel cover and gave it an application of AeroSpace 303 Protectorant as a trial. Hands got a bit sweaty on the last road trip so will be keen to actually start using my existing leather care products.

I wished you put a ceramic coating on it instead just so you can experience the feeling of the leather surface. My ceramic coated leather steering wheel doesn't make your hands clammy. Hands always feel nice and dry due to the tight bond the ceramic coating provides. I like to make sure my hands are washed well before I get in the car so I don't transfer any unwanted dirt or grime so the grip on the wheel always feels airy and dry.

I like 303 mainly for the preservation of rubber and plastics.

2 hours ago, campbeam said:

Thanks for that Ash but I am sure it was our DETAIL KING Tony who  gave us the idea of the coating on his steering wheel..I also use the Oakwood products as i bought 2 boxes when they were on special last year at Supercheap.. I have found them pretty good at keeping the wheel's leather in great shape..our Presara is now 11 years old but the leather interior is excellent and the leather on the steering wheel still feels great on the hands.

I follow my Dad's wise words of look after it and it will last well, and that is what I do..I allow lots of time when doing the interior, as doing most things these days wears me out fast

Keep Safe All

KAA

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Tony Prodigy said:

My ceramic coated leather steering wheel doesn't make your hands clammy. Hands always feel nice and dry due to the tight bond the ceramic coating provides.

I was certainly thinking about your coating of the leather steering wheel when my hands started to get a bit sweaty. Driving most of the day in Summer would certainly be putting your ceramic coating product to the test. I was fortunate to get some cool driving conditions 21-24C. It was much warmer on the return trip and I was using the A/C.

• Like 2

On 11/16/2020 at 3:54 PM, campbeam said:

I was certainly thinking about your coating of the leather steering wheel when my hands started to get a bit sweaty. Driving most of the day in Summer would certainly be putting your ceramic coating product to the test. I was fortunate to get some cool driving conditions 21-24C. It was much warmer on the return trip and I was using the A/C.

Toyota A/C is basically overpowered anyway so it could be 34°C for all we care & you'd still be freezing your knackers off 😂😂

And besides, if my car was running warm on a 40°+ day, i can turn the car off & unplug the fan switch, runs both fans on high speed. Similar to what FG falcons do on a stinking hot day, best thing about old Toyota's is they're easy to over-ride

Edited by TommyM
  • Haha 1

I've had numerous European and Japanese cars and always use Maguires leather cleaners and condtioners..never had a problem maintaining the softness and appearance...

This 09' Presara I have now, fortunately had excellent leather seats, looked after by former owner..

Cheers

• Like 1

Thanks Mike, yes I fell in love with the interior of our Presara as well..it was a huge selling point when we bought it..Like anything if you show love it will last and maintain that wonderful feel..only down side i felt was the original head unit but that was sorted fast with an upgrade and now it is a joy 

Keep Safe

KAA

• Thanks 1

Today's leather seats are nothing like what they had in the old school cars. There's some sort of protective coating on them which keeps them alive longer, but is resistant to the classic leather rejuvinators. You could buff them with a wet polishing cloth & would look like u spent hours giving them love. Having said that, oakwood products are my choice, and the shine from the wax at the end is very satisfying haha

• Like 2

Same for me Adam I have been using Oakwood for about 8 years now and always happy spending time just keeping all the leather feeling soft and looking good. I know what your saying about that coating, but when cleaning I am always surprised how dirty they are just from sweat and body oils. I will continue with what I have for now and then check out some that Tony suggested next time I shop as so many great products out there worth trying

Keep Safe

KAA