Engine Oil Change Interval

campbeam

Another YouTube video by John Cadogan appeared for viewing. It is more about the oil change interval and particularly relevant to my regular short distance driving.

More support for considering a 6 month oil change interval, in this case for a low mileage vehicle.

• 4 months later...

Following YouTube video was posted 5 months ago by Nunawading Toyota located in Melbourne Australia.

This video certainly provides proof of what can happen if you presumably only top up the oil instead of regular oil changes.

Consider that this has happened over a 3 year period and 65,000 km.

Presumably the purchaser did not look at the inside of the oil filler cap. Definite indicator that servicing did not happen. 6 services @ $220 = $1320 so very much cheaper than an engine replacement.

• Like 1

It's amazing the engine is still ticking over considering the lack of oil changes, some engines would have self grenaded by then. Only 3 years old, just plain stupidity & false economy.

• 4 months later...

Following YouTube video appeared in my feed so thought that it would be worthwhile viewing considering that it was from an automotive engineering perspective.

It supports the old school approach of regular oil changes every 3000 miles or 5000 kms particularly if you are going to be a long term owner. Otherwise extend by say 30%.

• Like 2

Great video so TY Ash, yes 5K is it for me has been since not long after we bought our Presara, I was told at Toyota (close to the 30K service mark) the usual story of stick to 10K as 5K is not needed so decided to leave them and stick to my own mechanic as he agreed with my perspective of 5K oil changes, now 14 years later our baby still runs like a swiss watch and the old oil on change day is still lovely and clean looking and now 134575 Klms later intend to stick with that policy.

Today I viewed a Short YouTube video by the same presenters. In that one, he recommended a 2000 mile oil change interval if you really wanted the very best.

He had dismantled engines with 4000 mile and 6000 mile oil change intervals and could see/notice the differences in engine wear. Presumably that was for the Nissan GTR engines but not specifically stated.

On 5/20/2022 at 5:23 PM, campbeam said:

I am sure that you will be able to locate the posts for removing and repacking the sealed idler pulley bearings. Leave it too long and you may have the added expense of new bearings.

When repacking the bearings, clean them good and only fill the cavity with grease to 25-50%, this is to allow the grease to get into the races and shells, and when the grease gets hot the grease expands and creates pressure, so if the grease is too well packed, the grease will boil over.

It's a timely reminder about oil & prolonging the life of the engine, obviously clean oil matters, always has, always will.

For a GTR motor with twin turbos that has the potential to cook oil, yeah I would change it pretty often. For a 2GR-FE that gets driven sedately but normally, ie: not short trips, then I would have thought extending the OCI to 5-7.5K kms would be just fine.

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

This YouTube video appeared in my feed a few weeks ago.

Pays to at least listen to advice based upon experience then make your own decision to suit your circumstances. Quite notable that this automotive engineer has a Lexus and mentions others in his field of expertise.