CES CAI

Hello, after reading about the different CAI’s people have installed in their Sportivos I decided to buy a CES CAI and have it shipped down to Melbourne. Very impressed with the sound and the power gains I even think I am getting better fuel economy but there are a few things I would like to say to people thinking of buying this CAI.

- Hard to install, I got my fried who is a mechanic to do it for me it took him a bit over 2 ½ hours to do, The whole from bumper and light had to come off and he also had to cut a bit of the panel next to the battery so it could fit.

- I find that down at around 1000-2000 rpms it is not as responsive as the stock filter.

Over all I am very happy with it and would recommend it to anyone I am also buying the CES headers and exhaust system in about 2 weeks time. Ill see if I can get a dyno just with the CAI and the with the whole system. Ill keep you all posted.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello, after reading about the different CAI’s people have installed in their Sportivos I decided to buy a CES CAI and have it shipped down to Melbourne. Very impressed with the sound and the power gains I even think I am getting better fuel economy but there are a few things I would like to say to people thinking of buying this CAI.

- Hard to install, I got my fried who is a mechanic to do it for me it took him a bit over 2 ½ hours to do, The whole from bumper and light had to come off and he also had to cut a bit of the panel next to the battery so it could fit.

- I find that down at around 1000-2000 rpms it is not as responsive as the stock filter.

Over all I am very happy with it and would recommend it to anyone I am also buying the CES headers and exhaust system in about 2 weeks time. Ill see if I can get a dyno just with the CAI and the with the whole system. Ill keep you all posted.

Is this on a facelift Sportivo?? As with all CAI's that are fitted to facelifts you need to modify the hole behind the headlight to give a little more clearance as Toyota in their infinite wisdom made the hole smaller and the back of the headlight bigger hence less room. Whether it's on a 1zz or 2zz you will have to modify the back edge of the hole for about a half inch extra room.

On prefacelifts there shouldn't be any probs as the hole is bigger.:)

Yep, facelift your are right. I did not know that they told me it was easy to fit and that there where no mods to be done.

On the pre facelift models(which testing at CES was done on) there's no modification to be done. It just needs the lip on the back side of the hole to be folded down for minimal clearance as it does with all CAI's on facelift models.

It's a shame I didn’t know this because the last think I wanted to do was cut that the panel, the car only has 10000 Km's. Its done know. It is still a very tight fit.

I am also thinking of getting some other type of connection between the engine and the CAI to make it a better fit because when I first fit it in the car it used to hesitate at low RPMS, it was only until I pushed the pipe more into the plastic connector that it does not happened any more.

Oh no. No no no. I hope what happened last time doesn't happen again with this thread :blink:

Lets just keep it on topic and not divert to "other " issues. ;)

Oh no. No no no. I hope what happened last time doesn't happen again with this thread :blink:

If it gets out of hand again .... lets just say i have a bigger wooden spoon 2 pull out this time :ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

So do u feel luck punk .... do ya :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Lets just keep it on topic and not divert to "other " issues. ;)

Crap I've already done that :S Agreed tho.

Mate, good to see your happy. Let us all know howe you go when you fit the rest of the gear. Are you coming up to hav it fitted, or getting it shipped down there?

im sure ive read in a previous thread that the CES CAI was spose to be mod free for the facelift too.. that's why everyone got so excited.. :huh:

guess not then ay! :blink:

I am having the headers and the exhaust shipped down to Melbourne.

Does anyone know how much gains I should be looking when I Dyno it? It would help me gauge if everything was installed correctly or not.

I will have CES CAI, exhaust and Headers everything else is stock. Would 120KW atw be achievable?

what about with just the CES CAI? Has anyone have this set up only?

Before the whole dyno and CES debate starts all over again here is what has been achieved with TRD CAI and CES cat back system.

On my car(pre facelift) a gain of 9kw from the exhaust and TRD CAI a gain of just under 5kw. CES CAI had approximately 4kw more than TRD CAI with same filter. Headers fitted to my car with above mods yielded just on 5kw gain on peak power but fattened up low to mid range power.

So to answer your question 120kw is achievable for sure. My car without headers has pushed 119kw on a coolish day(about 20degrees) and in 32degree heat with 76%humidity it pushed 113kw.(without CES intake)

Expect to see about 15kw gain with the 3 mods but as has been seen before different dynos read differently in different states and the varying differences between sportivo's is also another factor to take into consideration.

At current Northy is the only one to have CES intake,headers and exhaust but hasn't as yet had a dyno done. But chat to him as he'll give you an idea of the differences each mod makes to your car and as a whole.

Well, if all those items are working in order, 120kw wheels is achievable. Highest dyno read in Melbourne was BanGn with 113kw wheels as far as i remember, that's just with cold air intake and hard driving.

Have CES got dyno results of each item yet?

Next Dyno day? When?

I suggest, just go and do baseline dyno now before you add the exhaust. From there on we can see the gain made by the full exhaust system.

Just look for percentage of gain increase, its a much more accurate figure than comparing who got highest number.