Why you should change your oil regularly

KAA

Watched this excellent video from The Car Care Nut last night, and it hammers home the reason as to why you should change your oil before the recommended change interval Toyota recommends.

He shows exactly what can occur if you only do it by what they recommend for warranty, so enjoy and make sure to change your oil regularly.

KAA

• Like 1

This is another great video by The Car Nut full of very worthwhile and meaningful advice and information throughout the video.

Good perspective on the vehicle manufacturer's recommended maintenance schedule essentially being the bare essentials to maintain the warranty. 

Great advice to take a timeout and make a calm economic rationale decision about major outlays.

For my particular vehicle, it may not even be worthwhile to replace the engine. Because my vehicles are mostly driven short distance, I use a shorter oil change interval.

Interestingly, I just did an oil change on my Yaris yesterday. After only 3-4 months, the used engine oil looked quite dark in the drain pan. Just as The Car Nut demonstrated, there is engine oil left in the engine after doing a thorough oil drain. It just happened that after coming home Friday, I put the Yaris up onto car ramps so the oil could fully drain down into the engine pan overnight. After dropping the oil from the engine pan and also the oil filter, I refilled with a flushing oil, started and idled the engine for 10 minutes, then replaced with new decent quality engine oil and new oil filter.

What I did find surprising was the "Troll comments" that The Car Nut mentioned that he has received. It does not take too much common sense to recognise that mutiple extra oil changes are much cheaper than an engine rebuild/replacement.

Also quite interested to hear his feedback about Amsoil.

Premium quality and premium priced engine oil may be applicable to some others but not a financially viable option for my very reduced oil change interval. For my purposes, I buy decent quality full synthetic engine oil when on special. I will also buy cheap engine oil to use as a flushing oil. Similarly, I buy OEM quality oil filters and oil filter cartridges, not the premium priced brands.

• Like 1

Yes Ash, he is the go too man for anything Toyota or Lexus, love his new workshop and so happy too see him doing well out on his own. I found the video so very interesting as I had never seen a brand new short block fresh from Toyota. The fact that the safe behind the screen trolls try to shake him up is nothing new so many these days are brave when hidden, but he handles them well and he knows so many will trust and follow his advise. The only sad part is he is so far away from us here, and will never get to show us tricks and tips for our Aurions but at least Camry is about and we may find something useful from those.

KAA

My last car was a 2001 Corolla...had it for 18 yrs...it had a oil change every 6 mths and when I traded it in...it had 190,000 kms..no oil burning and no work ever done on the engine.  :laugh:

Next Tuesday my Camry goes in for it's 6mth oil change...being the 5th one since Jan 2020 and have done 15,600kms.

When I rang the Toyota Dealership...I was told you don't need an oil change every 6mths because new cars only need one every 12mths and went on about engine blocks and new oils etc etc.  :rolleyes:

I said I want one every 6mths...I was told...you must be old school...I said yeah that's right...maybe they should watch the video.  :sad:  

• Like 3

Yes Michael I am of the same mind it is after all your money, so regardless of what the dealership says just tell them to do it. As AMD said in the video the cost of oil changes is vastly cheaper than an engine rebuild.

KAA

• Like 1

Still doing an oil change on my 09' Presara every 6 mths, with Penrite 5w30 Full Syn. Car runs beautifully.. not doing any interstate road trips anymore, so just around town and the occasional trip to Brisbane, which gives it a good run at 100kph.

Very happy with my Aurion so far..😄👍

Edited by Bigmike62
Spelling
  • Like 1

I forgot to mention...when I asked for an oil change...I was asked do you want an oil filter too ?  :scared:

I should have said...why do you think it's called an oil filter but what can you expect from a paper shuffling pencil pusher.  :goof:

Back in Jan 2020 when I was looking for my new car...I rang one Toyota Dealer and asked if they had the new Camry...I was asked...Sedan or Hatch.  :ohmy:

In the video he said he charges $120 for the oil change...Dealer is going to charge me $250.  :ph34r:  Imagine how much it would cost to re-build the Engine here...as they say...oil is cheap...Engines much more.  :rolleyes:

• Like 2

Hi Michael yes the cost in rebuilding an engine is too scary to think about especially these days and as he said buying a used one from a wrecker is a toss of the dice to get something even reasonable. So yes the oil and filter cost is the way too go. I had a laugh being asked do you want a new filter as well, and hmm a hatchback Camry wow they sneaked that model under the radar😄😄

Let us know how things go mate

KAA

• Like 1

19 hours ago, bob007 said:

In the video he said he charges $120 for the oil change...Dealer is going to charge me $250.  :ph34r:  Imagine how much it would cost to re-build the Engine here...as they say...oil is cheap...Engines much more.  :rolleyes:

I have noticed that advertised prices for a car service i.e. oil change has increased from $99 to $129. Not 100% certain of current charges so I did a quick internet search. Apparently the dealer charge of $250 is not that outrageous unlike my initial reaction of an arm and leg.

After looking at those prices, if I was not DIY, possible option might be https://www.airtasker.com/mechanic/oil-filter-change/brisbane/ 

Because I have "trust issues", I would most likely supply the oil and filter and watch them like a hawk.

13 hours ago, KAA said:

the cost in rebuilding an engine is too scary to think about especially these days and as he said buying a used one from a wrecker is a toss of the dice to get something even reasonable.

I am thinking that the best option for a used Camry engine from a wrecker is one that is less than 3 years old which should be before it has developed a bad case of the oil burning issue. Then do regular oil changes including a flush as a preventative measure for the oil burning issue.  

Oil change yesterday and everything is good.  :smile:

I average about 6000 kms per year...I do a lot of short trips...so it's even more important to do frequent oil changes.  :thumbsup:

AMD says every 8000 kms (5000 mls) or every 6 mths...I change mine every 3000 kms...my Engine will last for ever.  :laugh:

On 8/3/2022 at 10:56 AM, bob007 said:

I average about 6000 kms per year...I do a lot of short trips...so it's even more important to do frequent oil changes.  :thumbsup:

Perfect

On 8/3/2022 at 10:56 AM, bob007 said:

I change mine every 3000 kms...my Engine will last for ever.  :laugh:

And, Perfect ! :thumbsup:

Oil is cheap, when on special, so there's no excuse not to do at least 2 per year.