Wheels 4 the Stivo

Sport1vo

xtigerx, your tyre is 215/45/r17? isn't that too big man?

215/45-R17 is perfect for sportivo because stock is 195/55-R16

205/45-R17 is perfect for levin because stock is 195/60-R15

but if i had those cars with 17" wheels i would use 215/40-R17 which trd141 and danz have got.

danz: yep. i'm using 215/45/r17. i have no idea what my offset is. gonna call the place i bought them from and find out.

rim specifications are usually embossed inside the rim. for example the sportivo rim has specifications embossed on the spokes. if the dealer cannot tell you the offset you would need to remove your wheel from the car to look inside the rim.

okay, then sportivo must use 215/45. infact that should be good because 45 is more comfortable to have than 40, plus the width of 215 is excellent for grip. Hey XTigerX, when can i see u!? Lets meet at bondi beach, since its close to where i am in sydney. I stayed in Bondi Junction.

there are more performance tyres for 215/45-R17 than 215/40-R17 with equal or greater the load rating needed for the sportivo which is 87v.

what is the load rating on levin? for the ascent and conquest it is 88v.

load ratings are stated on the tyre placard which is a sticker in your glove box.

got to be careful with wheel/tyre dealers when purchasing from them for upsized wheels. they sometimes give you under load rated tyres because they are less expensive but are unroadworthy.

Sorry but i cannot believe you guys think that the ride is comfortable with king springs and 40 profile rubber- have you been along parra rd or hume hwy yet?

the weight of the sportivo rim with tyre is 18kg so anything lighter will help un-sprung weight.

its all relative isn't it. if u have spent your life floating around in a granny car then perhaps feeling a little bit more of the road might get your knickers in a knot.

on my ride, i don't think its crashing or bone-jarring, in fact its a little firmer, but controlled, nonetheless a lot less roll, a lot more responsive and certainly heaps better to drive.

so danz what setup you running...dunno it's obviously me but i just find that with what i am running now (45 with low kings) seems harsh when driving over uneven road surfaces, especially gaps in the road.. oh man it crashes through them :(

I'm thinking about selling my spare wheel
so what will you do for a spare?

Well my set up is cut low spring and 17inch that's it. Obviously, lowered or not lowered, you need to be careful when driving on bad road. Sydney road is very bad at some areas, so need to take care. I drove my girlfriend's standard lexus IS200 in Sydney, and damn its a pain when I encountered holes on the road. When I took my corolla to Sydney I just avoid holes and negotiate my way.

Over in Melb, the road is much nicer, hence I find 40 profile is comfortable. You don't have to use 40 is you found it will not be comfortable for you. XtigerX said sportivo should use 215/45/R17, that is even better, thicker wall and wide profile. For me, my car is a levin, 215/45/R17 is too big, hence 215/40/R17.

By the way, different manufacturer provide different tyre characteristic.

My friend's Mazda 6 use 225/40/R18 and was dropped till u cannot see the gap between the fenders. His tyres are P-Zeros Nero. Drove it all the way from Melb to Sydney - Sydney to Melb, the tyre is soft and the ride was more comfortable than my car which use Falken Ziex. The suspension made some contribution too, but here;s the rundown:

Falken is hard

Bridgeston is not too hard not too soft

Michellin is soft

P-Zero is soft

What danz says is quite true as well. Different tyres have different characteristics. Some have a much stiffer reinforced sidewall, some don't. From my previous experience, cars with just lowered springs and stock shocks generally drive well on good to average surfaces.

on roads which have lotsa small bumps and driving over multiple bumps at one go, the car tends to unsettle easily, keeps trying to push upwards and then it settles on the compression stroke rather than the rebound stroke. its a bit difficult for me to explain it to you. it took me a while to understand it and realise some stronger shocks were needed coz they actually pull the car down and make it settle much much quicker, esp when they are springs which are stronger and with a higher-rate.

hope u understand what i mean... B)