Did you buy or trim your bumpstops when you lowered?

hi everyone

as i'm unable to find the part number for whiteline bumpstops to suit my corolla sportivo, i've decided to get some feedback from fellow members here. when you lowered your corolla did you trim your bumpstops? or buy replacement shorter/narrower bumpstops or just left them as is?

also just like to know what the shorter bumpstops will do? and if you trimmed it how much did you trim off? and what are the effects if you don't trim them and leave them as is or is it recommended to replace/trim them on installing new springs

btw i'm looking for a 30-35mm drop if that helps with feedback on my questions

thanks.

I'm a little mistified why someone would have suggested to you the need to change or trim your bump-stops.

Bump-Stops are what stop your suspension components hitting the chassis/body (So if you pulled out the springs, the body would be resting on the stops).

People here are running much lower than you intend, without bump stops changed and they still seem to have sufficient suspension travel.

I think someone is trying to make you spend money for no reason, unless you intend to do rally driving and you need upgraded stops because of all the heavy landings you do after getting airborn ! :P

I'm a little mistified why someone would have suggested to you the need to change or trim your bump-stops.

Bump-Stops are what stop your suspension components hitting the chassis/body (So if you pulled out the springs, the body would be resting on the stops).

People here are running much lower than you intend, without bump stops changed and they still seem to have sufficient suspension travel.

I think someone is trying to make you spend money for no reason, unless you intend to do rally driving and you need upgraded stops because of all the heavy landings you do after getting airborn ! :P

yeah true! and if you make them smaller then your bound to put pressure on the chassis!

unless you intend to do rally driving and you need upgraded stops because of all the heavy landings you do after getting airborn ! :P

I have the TRD Sportivo suspension for my RunX(zze123) and I have hit the bump stops on four occasions in the last 6 months, and all on the road doing the legal limit(100km/h) or under(on the following occasions)...

It was all in the same location, and no air was obtained, just a short uphill, followed by a small downhill, followed by a quick steep uphill, each time I hit the stops at the bottom of the downhill, and it was a hell of a thud.

My point - It certainly is possible to hit them without getting air. Should you replace them? well, your choice, if it was any more than say $50(for the set), I wouldn't.

It was all in the same location, and no air was obtained, just a short uphill, followed by a small downhill, followed by a quick steep uphill, each time I hit the stops at the bottom of the downhill, and it was a hell of a thud.

My point - It certainly is possible to hit them without getting air. Should you replace them? well, your choice, if it was any more than say $50(for the set), I wouldn't.

Altering the stops still wouldn't have changed anything in this situation, you still would have hit them even if they were shorter because of those sudden changes in motion, Audi's are renouned for this because of the way their damping is set up.

The Stops are there for damage prevention, yes you did experience a big thud, but it's metal hitting rubber, not metal on metal, in my opinion, installing shorter stops will only increase the risk of incurring damage in this sort of situation.

if you have short stroke struts and lowered springs, you need shortened bump stops to allow for the appropriate amount of travel.

Maybe Northy should offer his expert advise :P

...I can hear it now... "get cusco's cause they're the best..."

muahahah

if you have short stroke struts and lowered springs, you need shortened bump stops to allow for the appropriate amount of travel.

muahahah

whats short stroke struts?

muahahah

I believe they are struts what are suited to your lowered springs. Correct me if i'm wrong.

once again keep the opinions/facts coming and thanks for the replies.

If my bump stop was not cut, I would've been riding on the bump stop because previously i had ghetto low spring. Yes it still hit the bump, but who am I to complain.

At your ride height it's understandable, but is it really necessary for someone with 35mm drop ???

muahahah

Struts specifically for shorter travel/height springs

If my bump stop was not cut, I would've been riding on the bump stop because previously i had ghetto low spring. Yes it still hit the bump, but who am I to complain.

At your ride height it's understandable, but is it really necessary for someone with 35mm drop ???

muahahah

Struts specifically for shorter travel/height springs

Guess thats what i would like opinions on is it really nessary to trim the bumpstops for a 35mm drop? and if so how much should i trim off as i will be changing the springs myself.

Guess thats what i would like opinions on is it really nessary to trim the bumpstops for a 35mm drop?

nope, if with a 35mm drop and u're constantly bottoming out on the roads, either ya shocks are dead or ya springs are too soft

Edited by shaohaok

When I had my whiteline springs installed, the installer cut the bump stops without me telling him to. I guess he does that with all installations of lowered springs.

When I had my whiteline springs installed, the installer cut the bump stops without me telling him to. I guess he does that with all installations of lowered springs.

Do you know whether the installer cut both front and rear bump stops? and do you know how much of it did the installer cut off?

Do you know whether the installer cut both front and rear bump stops? and do you know how much of it did the installer cut off?

Yep, he cut off both front and rear, about 1/3 off the bumpstop.

Yep, he cut off both front and rear, about 1/3 off the bumpstop.

thanks for the response. and thanks everyone else.