TRD Short Shifter

i reackon they all damage ur car so :P

you can land lift from 1-2 with out a short shifter but you just gotta try harder with a short shifter u dont even need to try and u can land it

my two cents ;)

I didn't have the quick shift kit or Exedy clutch and ran a 14.8 with less mods... what's your point?

I personally think the quick shifter is a w@nk that's only purpose if for looks in our cars.

There are many cars where it is a benefit but the stock shifter is pretty short for a shock shifter to begin with anyway.

Dylan you were running a CES catback and CAI weren't you? You had more power than Brian did. He was pushing 115kw at the wheels. You had more didn't you?

What's your point? lol

What my car did on a dyno in Sydney vs what Brians did on a dyno in Melbourne in irrelivant to the arguement that cannot be compared.

Yes I had the CAI and CES exhaust, but I thought the race pipe gave better top end ie better for the drags... The clutch and higher spec pressure plate make a difference, but I'm yet to get these items too. I would rate the HD clutch and pressure plate as having a greater effect on his time then the short shifter ever did...

takes no effort to land 1-2 lift if you know how either ;)

practice makes perfect... :P

Practice does not make perfect with faulty clutchplates (or gearboxes methinks?). It was proven that some of them are screwed, and I have one. I can quickshift in every gear bar 1st to 2nd. I know how to shift. Mick knows I can. I'm not the only one with this problem. People fixed it with the clutch upgrade and adjustment.

The race pipe gives 2kw extra and more top end, yet the CES catback gives 6-9kw with better midrange. The race pipe was better bang for buck in Brian's eyes. He just didn't want to spend too much on exhaust mods.

The catback made a difference in my eyes. It did with a few other people also.

I didn't have the quick shift kit or Exedy clutch and ran a 14.8 with less mods... what's your point?

I personally think the quick shifter is a w@nk that's only purpose if for looks in our cars.

There are many cars where it is a benefit but the stock shifter is pretty short for a shock shifter to begin with anyway.

Dylan you were running a CES catback and CAI weren't you? You had more power than Brian did. He was pushing 115kw at the wheels. You had more didn't you?

What's your point? lol

What my car did on a dyno in Sydney vs what Brians did on a dyno in Melbourne in irrelivant to the arguement that cannot be compared.

Yes I had the CAI and CES exhaust, but I thought the race pipe gave better top end ie better for the drags... The clutch and higher spec pressure plate make a difference, but I'm yet to get these items too. I would rate the HD clutch and pressure plate as having a greater effect on his time then the short shifter ever did...

takes no effort to land 1-2 lift if you know how either ;)

practice makes perfect... :P

Practice does not make perfect with faulty clutchplates (or gearboxes methinks?). It was proven that some of them are screwed, and I have one. I can quickshift in every gear bar 1st to 2nd. I know how to shift. Mick knows I can. I'm not the only one with this problem. People fixed it with the clutch upgrade and adjustment.

The race pipe gives 2kw extra and more top end, yet the CES catback gives 6-9kw with better midrange. The race pipe was better bang for buck in Brian's eyes. He just didn't want to spend too much on exhaust mods.

The catback made a difference in my eyes. It did with a few other people also.

yer ur right badboys some of the clutchs are F***ED!!! i did have one and fixed it by getting a adjustment and also a TRD SS.

Steve,

Again I'm not going to talk kw gains as I'm still not 100% convinced on the CES gains myself from my Dyno readings, but these are done in less the perfect circumstances.

Suffice to say my original Dyno, Stock, was 115.0kw,

with CAI 1 month later it was 119.8kw,

with CES 6 months after the original reading, the CES had been on for ~4 months it was again 119.8kw,

and this weekend, following several swaps between by stock airbox and my CAI and a new MAF sensor, and ECU reset the day before and ~300km run in that was not ideal highway driving, it was 115.3kw...

I know what you mean by the clutches as mine was one of the worst, until it was adjusted 12 months ago and I've loved it ever since.

Again I'm not going to talk kw gains as I'm still not 100% convinced on the CES gains myself from my Dyno readings, but these are done in less the perfect circumstances.

Suffice to say my original Dyno, Stock, was 115.0kw,

with CAI 1 month later it was 119.8kw,

with CES 6 months after the original reading, the CES had been on for ~4 months it was again 119.8kw,

and this weekend, following several swaps between by stock airbox and my CAI and a new MAF sensor, and ECU reset the day before and ~300km run in that was not ideal highway driving, it was 115.3kw...

I know what you mean by the clutches as mine was one of the worst, until it was adjusted 12 months ago and I've loved it ever since.

Broooooooooom *crunch* Brooooooooooom *crunch*

I hated that dylan. I really did. Mine was adjusted but I think it needs looking at again. Mick's old man was sceptical of the job (one reason of many why I changed dealers lol).

this is about a short shifter kids,,

if you want a stupid throw get the one ive got sitting in my car.. all brisbanites can attest to its shortness both in size and throw gate.. its tiny takes alot to get used too.. MX83TOY supplied it to me if i remember correctly dont actually remember it was so long ago...

so fun to drive just need to fix it a little to make it a bit stickier so good though i enjoy it and thats all that matters,, it dwarfs the trd short shifter..

<_< Now this topic was all about the short shifter and from what ive found and after installing the trd ss on my 1zz i have found that the shifts are not harder at all!!

:huh: unless u are some weak a$$ panzy ;) it is hard but i believe there is no big deal with the shifts its totally fine to shift all day everyday i feel that its easier to shift if ur lazy u dont have to swing ur arm as much its just a small throw probably half the shift from stock so it really makes it easier to shift.

Now with pricing i dont think u will find a better price other than kaze's guy to go through otherwise just pay the full price like i did its no big deal if u go over seas u will have to pay for shipping so i dont see it being any cheaper :)

in conclusion :D

Short shifter is :lol::lol: :

- shorter easier shifts

- much easier to punch ur car into the next gear ie lift in the words of a 2zz owner

- but all in all unless u have one or have had one u cant really comment i mean if u have felt one for 10mins cool u hav some experience but racing, cruising & lazy 2am driving home that is the all in all learning a mod and how it works

i dont want to cause any disputes but this is about the Short shifter and i think that VVTLiR wants info on the mod and benefits / downfalls B) lets educate ppl not argue / dispute

NOW PLAY NICE :P

I just had a contrary belief to the others as to the true value of the short shifter, I just believe it is not a necessary mod, that's all. I'm sure there are small gains to be had, but it's not for everyone, as with any mod.

I'd just like to point out that there has been a recall of all Lotus Exiges because the short shifter they installed from factory had a tendency to be pulled out of it's housing under stress and even break. Now I don't know if they used one of the aftermarket choises or it they fabricated their own design, but if you ask me, I don't like the sound of that... :ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

this is about a short shifter kids,,

And do I want to open up an entire new thread based on crunching with the shortshifter? No I'll just get flamed for that man. I'd get told to do a search and in most cases I'd just be pointed straight back here.

Sorry anyway.

:D <----------- Smiley lol

Oh yeah, that's interesting Dylan. Lotus are very meticulous with their stuff, it may have been aftermarket...eep.

Edited by bADbOYz

I don't know how it is on 6 speed, but on 5 speed the TRD short shifter is enjoyable. It feels more firm, greater feel on shifting and somewhat makes it even more fun on driving. You shift quicker too - no doubt.

It still stands tall though, not as short as some may think, but that is fine because its still easy to grab gears.

It may be a little hard in the beginning because you do need to shift a little harder than it used to, but overtime you will get used to it. And when you do get used to it, you don't wanna go back.

Worth it? Well, that depends on what you perceive to be worth it.

I like it though.

• 4 weeks later...

hello all.. quick question (didnt wana start a new thread).

How many of u out there have the TWM short shifter for our cars?

I know Brian (bangn) has.. anyone else?

Also, those that do have the TWM, are u using the stock knob or did u buy a shift knob from TWM also (as TWM sell the shifter and knob separately)

cheers

Daz