United Front

HOW CAN TOYOTA COMPENSATE SPORTIVO DRIVES FOR THE MISLEADING POWER INPUT ON OUR CARS???

Hmm... CAI, HEADERS, HP EXHAUST, Dang i'd even suffer and accept a UNICHIP :D

Sorry boys just trying to make light. But, DEFINATELY count me in on any group action. B)

would the purple dude in your avatar be a toyota representative?

Guys, be careful. I know that you're peed off, but be careful about the way you go about this.

Don't get the press involv ed yet. Give Toyota Australia and opportunity to explain the issue.

Heres the letter sent to Toyota SA, that I drafted. This is the letter that got the ball rolling. Feel free to use / edit it appropriately.

Another thing: the Sportivo is supplied exclusively from SA, whilst both Sa and Japan supply the other derivitives. Japan has already started producing the facelifted versions and SA hasn't. Thats one of the reasons why the Sportivo is not available. Another is that the Sportivo is uindergoing tests again by your local standards bureau.

Remember, you are all Toyota fans, so although you may not be entirely happy at the moment, don't shoot yourself as well as the product in the foot. Also remember, it is acceptable for power to vary by up to 5% on production engines - these are mass produced and not hand built.

Heres the letter:

TO: Toyota South Africa Customer Care

CC:

RE: Clarity required regarding the maximum power output of the SA specification 2ZZ-GE engine.

This memorandum serves to:

A ) Raise formal awareness of certain owners’ concerns regarding the validity of the claimed 141 kW (192 bhp) on the flywheel of the 2ZZGE engine fitted to the RunX destined for the South African market.

B ) Initiate a process to resolve our concerns regarding the aforementioned issue.

Certain Toyota RunX owners are concerned that the 141 kW of maximum power claimed for the engine fitted in the RunX RSi is invalid. Furthermore, certain owners have queried this, but to date, have not received acceptable responses to their queries.

In order to resolve this issue, we propose the following:

a ) We afford you the opportunity to confirm whether the claimed maximum power output of the engine at the flywheel, at sea level, is still valid.

b ) If the company maintains that the claim is still valid, we request that you demonstrate this fact by the following process:

1. Arrangements should be made, on a provincial basis, to test the affected owners vehicles. (e.g. Owners residing in Durban could have their vehicles tested at the Prospection plant, whilst Johannesburg owners could utilise the Toyota Motor Sport wheel dynometer facilities). It is important that these tests are performed on the same day to prevent any disparities that may result from differing atmospheric conditions that may arise.

2. It would be appreciated if TSA could procure the services of reputable workshops with dynometer facilites in smaller geographic locations (e.g. Port Elizabeth) in order to have owners residing in these areas to test their vehicles.

3. In order to add credibility to the process, we propose that an independent body, such as the Automobile Association, be involved in this process.

4. Furthermore, in order to enhance credibility, it would be appreciated if arrangements could be made for other vehicles (e.g. other derivatives from the Toyota range) to be tested on the same dynometers and the test results thereof compared to the claimed maximum power output of the said vehicle.

c ) If the power claim is no longer valid, please substantiate the revision in the claim.

d ) We request that the company be transparent regarding this issue.

Please respond to this memorandum by return e-mail to all concerned. Your urgent attention to this matter will be appreciated.

If you boys want to get a letter together, i'd be glad to sign it and support the move. My friend is a sales person at toyota.. so i can asked him to ask his boss what is happening in the near future with current spotivo owners.. in regards to all the above mentioned.

So who wants to take this on? Thanks for the memo draft Quicksilver, will be really helpful when we take this matter to Toyota. I reckon if they receive enough concerns about it, they will hopefully give us some answers.

I'm not so angry because i love the car anyways... but IF the power output IS down i would be more than happy to sign. I don't think it will need to come to that stage if it truly is down as i don't think Toyota would bother risking the bad publicity that could eventuate from it.

Whilst Toyota is entitled to do so, i am pretty disappointed with all the secrecy at the moment surrounding the car being removed from the market and also surrounding the 141kw issue. Hopefully this will all come out in the wash soon enough and Toyota will come to the party with some info for us all and IF need be some solutions to our problems.

But yeah... for the time being i am happy to wait patiently and enjoy my car as it is.... even if it isn't the claimed 141kw! :P

yeah if it was going to be written you could easily start it off by saying something along the lines of saying that Sportivo owners in Australia have become concerned due to recently discovering that the RUNX of SA has been discovered to not be putting out the stated 141kw. Then state the links between the cars (the obvious). Then perhaps finish the rest off with very similar proposals to those stated in QUIKSILVER's memorandum.

Thats my suggestion for it when it comes around. Obviously you'd use stronger wording than what i have suggested... but along that basic line i think would do the job.

However i still think we should wait a couple of weeks and give Toyota time. Something has to come out in the wash eventually!

QUIKSILVER - not sure if anyone has asked you or even if you know anyone you could ask for us... but is there ANY chance of getting you to ask if the Exported version of the RUNX (sportivo) has the same power output problem as you guys do?

well i have rattle problems too.. its a problem with most sportivo's. When i bought the car.. it never said in the brochure, this car may have gear box, brake problems moreover never obtain 141 kw. If it did i never would of bought the car. I mean dont get me wrong i love the car, but when u buy somthing new.. you shouldnt be having any problems with it. Toyota have misslead the plubic to sell a product, which is not just lawfuly wrong.. but morally disrespectful to us the buyers. The only way i see us getting through this.. is getting together as a whole and speaking to somone who deals with these type of cases/matters and take it from there. So in other words dont just jump the gun and take on toyota ourseleves cause they will squash us. Anyways thats my thought.

QUIKSILVER - not sure if anyone has asked you or even if you know anyone you could ask for us... but is there ANY chance of getting you to ask if the Exported version of the RUNX (sportivo) has the same power output problem as you guys do?

As far as I know, the Aussie spec ECU is different to the SA spec. However, I've got a feeling that you guys will have similar problems

I sent a casual email to Toyota Australia to get some info and this is their reply:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you for your recent email regarding the performance of the

Corolla

Sportivo.

We would like at this moment in time to acknowledge receipt of this

email

and to advise that the issue at hand is not safety related, nor is a

vehicle reliability or normal operation compromised. The issue is

being

reviewed with Japanese departments and regulatory bodies.

Details will be released to the public once the action plan for

resolution

has been clarified, and yes we agree that rectification should pose no

impost on the customer.

Our apologies for any inconvenience that this concern has created and

please be assured of our best intentions at all times.

Regards,

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------