Mazda 3 MPS officially hottest hatch.

bring it on .... anyone got a write up on the technicality of how they are controlling all that power n how it works ?

I'd still rather see them put the new Cosworth Atlantic (Duratec) engine in there ;)

but that is some awesome power for a FWD car

Powering the Champ Car Atlantic Championship beginning in 2006 will be one of the most trusted engine manufactures in the history of racing – Cosworth, In addition to serving as the exclusive engine supplier for the Champ Car World Series, Cosworth will enter into a three-year agreement to bring its reliability and performance to the Atlantic formula, creating a new power plant for the next generation of series racers.

The Cosworth Atlantic engine will be a four-cylinder, 2.3-liter design that will be capable of generating 300 horsepower and producing speeds up to 175 mph. Pi Research will provide all of the electronics, wiring and sensors for the new Atlantic machine.

http://www.cosworth.com/shop_range.php?typeid=40

It won't look ugly once u drop the car and put in some 18's.

It does have duck tail kinda looking rear bumper that extends out too much. But, i think KenStyle bodykit solve that issue with shorter rear bumper. The result? Stylish, the way Mr Ken wants it.

Edited by Danz

It does have duck tail kinda looking rear bumper that extends out too much. But, i think KenStyle bodykit solve that issue with shorter rear bumper. The result? Stylish, the way Mr Ken wants it.

Already got 18's on it Danz. Hmmmm.

Big brakes methinks. I still like the Celica.

Celica w. scissor doors :o awesome cred.

Danz...hurry up and turn 25 so you can start yours lol.

Already got 18's on it Danz. Hmmmm.

Big brakes methinks. I still like the Celica.

Celica w. scissor doors :o awesome cred.

Danz...hurry up and turn 25 so you can start yours lol.

nope comes with 17's im pretty sure. only the ford comes with 18's.

Quotes from someone i know very well who has driven the one that ws delivered to Motor Magazine today...

"Wow, easily as quick as a stock WRX"

"Don't turn the traction control off if u wanna go forwards"

and...

"first mod = some decent brakes!"

i like.

nope comes with 17's im pretty sure. only the ford comes with 18's.

i like.

http://www.mazda.com.au/mazda3mps/articleZ...icleZoneID=5306

"An athletic yet elegant side view is created by aerodynamic side skirts and 18-inch, 10-spoke aluminium alloy wheels."

:D my mistake... but either way... im happy with that. i like the engine however... dam

Ford = Mazda?? But i would buy a Mazda anyday :D I personally think the Mazda3 is styled better than the Ford Focus. What are the specs/equipment levels really like? Any cruise control and how much does this car weigh? I think this just got added to my new car list. would make a great day to day drive. But then at 40g there is the oh so common WRX. What is happening to Toyota and Honda?? They should have something out in response to Mazda soon i believe.

I think the biggest thing about the 3MPS is not the 190kw power, its the torque which is DOUBLE the power figure, 380nm is more than the EVO 9's 355nm and just 15nm shy of the 2.5liter WRX STI! Thats some serious grunt! I will be really interested to see the drivers' impressions on this thing when you try and floor it driving out a bend. Tyre bills might be quite high. But man this car has potential to cream any new generation V8 in rolling start or in-gear acceleration.

Edited by ZEEROLLA

I think the biggest thing about the 3MPS is not the 190kw power, its the torque which is DOUBLE the power figure, 380nm is more than the EVO 9's 355nm and just 15nm shy of the 2.5liter WRX STI! Thats some serious grunt!

I agree the torque from this mazda is amazing!! about giving a V8 a tough time i have no doubt it will!!

Ford = Mazda?? But i would buy a Mazda anyday :D I personally think the Mazda3 is styled better than the Ford Focus. What are the specs/equipment levels really like? Any cruise control and how much does this car weigh? I think this just got added to my new car list. would make a great day to day drive. But then at 40g there is the oh so common WRX. What is happening to Toyota and Honda?? They should have something out in response to Mazda soon i believe.

I think the biggest thing about the 3MPS is not the 190kw power, its the torque which is DOUBLE the power figure, 380nm is more than the EVO 9's 355nm and just 15nm shy of the 2.5liter WRX STI! Thats some serious grunt! I will be really interested to see the drivers' impressions on this thing when you try and floor it driving out a bend. Tyre bills might be quite high. But man this car has potential to cream any new generation V8 in rolling start or in-gear acceleration.

i just got answers, all on the Mazda website! weighs ONLY 1400kg! Sports pack adds 15kg, no wonder it is 0.5sec quicker to 100km/h vs MPS6. It comes with cruise control!! The XR5 doesn't! It even comes with LED rear brake lights!! It also has tripple cone synchros in 1st-2nd-3rd, and double synchros in 4th gear. An LSD, drive-by-wire throttle, 320mm front brakes and 280mm rears, 60% increase in roll stiffness with front strut tower bar, stiffer springs/shocks, smaller turning circle than the XR5, drinks 95RON instead of 98RON minimum, 10litre/100km fuel economy.. The specs and equipment levels are just amazing for a $39,990 car. Man i am getting a test drive!

Edited by ZEEROLLA

Posted this a few days ago!

Just had my first test drive over Mt Cootha about 30mins ago and my legs wont stop shaking and the smile just refuses to leave my face! DSC would have to be the best motoring invention eva! I was dubious to say the least about the FWD turbo set up but Mazda have pulled it off, so well balanced. I had to really push as hard as I could to start the feeling of understeer but thats when the DSC and TCS really came into play, pulling me back straight away. This thing is a rocket and easily controlable, and very direct with the steering. The 18" shadow chrome alloys look awesome - don't think I would bother changing them at all. Seriously comfortable bucket seats with leather outer and grippy cloth inserts for maximum grip around those 120km/ph mt cootha corners! Great engine and exhaust tones. Think the exhaust piping is about 2.5". Heaps of torque off the mark and loves to deliver it right through the rev range. There was however a strange noise everytime I changed up a gear. Thought it was wheel spin but came to the conclusion it was related to the exhaust. Seems there is a section of midpipe that is angled at about 80deg so the emissions are having a hard time escaping through the bend. Any thoughts on that?

for that price, I think I'd prefer to spend an extra $3K and get a new 2.5 turbo rex wagon with an ECUtek flash.

But then you wouldnt have a sleeper and you would have the same car as everyone else on george street on a saturday night. In sydney rex's are are common as bloody commo's :blink:

I've got my "unique" car already ;) ..only one in Australia. I look more at value for money with my daily driver, and with the media hype etc that will surround the mazda it will be more difficult to knock a few grand off the price at the dealer than it is to get a decent discount on the subaru. Sure the mazda looks nice, but it's not worth blowing a load over :P

I'll bet there will be some people on the ford waiting list that will cancel their orders and get the mazda for sure.