Camry V6 Coolant?

mopiko

which coolants are people using for their camry?

We've been using the stock toyota coolant from servicing but it needs a top up atm, so I thought i'd get a bottle from repco or something. So

1. Is mixing coolants okay?

2. Which coolant to buy?

the vehicle in question is an 99 (i think) camry v6 - the model before the current model with the thin tail lights.

I use Toyotas genuine coolant... I dont know if $12.95 a litre is considered expensive... I've also been told by many that when needing a top-up you can be a bit relaxed with the ratio and add more water to top it up.. but yes, dont mix coolants!! Flush out the radiator of the old first :)

• 4 months later...

how to you replace the coolant fluid? please step by step show me

What year and engine? If it;s a 5SFE or 1MZFE I'll take pics int he morning for you. Since my car is diassembled, haha.

how to you replace the coolant fluid? please step by step show me

i'm guessing a 1MZFE since he has a 98 V6.

I just undid the plug found on the back of the radiator, drained it all, flushed with water for 5 mins, then refilled as per the manual. it will be due for some new stuff soon to :P

Ok, things learned from my post. Don;t make them LATE at night. There is also the drain on the engine block ITSELF you need to do. I'll get some pics up in a couple hours. :)

Ok, 1MZFE Engine. The main radiator vavle is located in the area of the red circle. It is on the inside of the engine bay, not the outside where the circle is.

Coolant1.jpg

The valve thingy just screws out. This was the best picture I could get of it right now, sorry. I may have it on a ramp tomorrow where I can get a better pic. You unscrew the white thing.

Coolant2.jpg

The OTHER valve is on the Engine block, on the front. If I remember correctly, it is 10mm. This lets the fluid out of the block, to get it ALL out.

Coolant3.jpg

IF your changing the coolant, I'd recomecnd to change the Thermostate as well. Just to get it done with before it fails, and the coolant is drained. Please feel free to ask any more Q's. :)

~Adam

Last time I did mine I used Nulon Long Life, Ethylene-glycol 50% with 50% distilled water and is still as good as the day I changed it.

The Toyota Workshop Manual (1MZ-FE) states: Use a quality brand Ethylene-Glycol base. Mixture ratio: at least 50% E-G(not more than 75% E-G) with demineralised or distilled water.

Do not use alcohol based coolants.

There is no mention that you MUST use Toyota branded coolant, just a quality brand.

To drain, I just remove bottom radiator hose and there is also a drain ***** on the front of the motor. You may need to remove the exhaust pipe heat shield to gain easier access to the drain *****.

We've been using the stock toyota coolant from servicing but it needs a top up atm, so I thought i'd get a bottle from repco or something. So

2. Which coolant to buy?

the vehicle in question is an 99 (i think) camry v6 - the model before the current model with the thin tail lights.

SAFEWAY CHEAPEST.

Crap about $6 vs $60 coolants.

you're right big feet, it's 1mzfe enging, and thanks for the photo, i seen the white plug/knob/valve? but i didn't do anything to it yet, since the pink coolant cost under $50 at the auto shop.

While we're on the subject of mixing coolants, under NO circumstances mix red and green versions, they are incompatible..

When I changed mine it had red but I thoroughly flushed the system first before using the green variety and have had no problems whatsoever.

why is red is expensive than green? any1 please

and how do i send more images?

this is a new image, ignore the date

Red(in the case of Toyotas) is Toyota branded, the green is not..All you need is Ethylene-Glycol and demineralised or distilled water with a 50/50 mix. That's from the Toyota Workshop Manual...

Edited by Topdog

• 2 weeks later...

Unclip the hose from the bottle, loosen the two bolts holding the bottle to the bulkhead and lift bottle out. Flush out under a tap. NOTE: Some areas and countries will want you to dispose of the fluid responsibly. ie not down the drain . Replace bottle and add coolant to the lower mark level.

im thinking its time for me to do mine again, its muddy brown

the bolt on the block is a must, i didnt do it last time i changed mine and the muddy colour came back in a few days, talk about a pain

apparently heaps of **** collects near that plug

2. Which coolant to buy?

I seen on the shop VALVOLINE G-05 Topup that is compatible with all glycol colants