Spraying rear mudflaps

steinny72

So easy to do yourself man to be honest. I know I would. Autobahn can match your paint for you and give it to you in a spray can.

It's just a matter of prepping the mudflap before having it sprayed. I know people who have done this with their eyelids as well.

i have a friend of mine he's got a set up at home but gets his colour matching done spot on at VGA

he'll do an awesome job if you want it done professionally and wont slug ya like a smash repairer.

phone number 0406 192 690

trust me guys this guy is gun!! does all sorts of repairs

id like to but i dont really have the time/ patience to - ive been told of a place in liverpool that will do it - thanks M&M

Totally understand man. If you ever wanted to do it for $40 yourself at least you know it's not that hard. I always thought painting stuff was :blink:

Remove and clean flaps

2 coats of plastic primer

2 coats of paint

2 coats of gloss

Do it while you are bumming around the house one day doing other stuff....

yep totally agree - just do it yourself.

i wouldnt trust autobahn though. any place that matches colour by looking it up on computer isnt going to be a perfect match.

their "colourmatch" may not be perfect because your car has been exposed to the sun etc, thus your paint would be a few shades off from the factory colour.

find a place that colourmatches by mixing the paint by hand, looks at the colour of your car and matches it by eye with the paint hez mixing. by memory it costs the same as autobahns colourmatch.

but if you arent fussy bout a perfect colour match go 2 autobahn.

• 2 months later...

Hey guys I thought I would revive this thread instead of startin anotha one... I was thinkin (well I'm pretty sure) I'm gonna paint my mudflaps at DSports. I went there the other day (Dave is a legend by the way, a real great guy) n got a quote for a few things to be painted. Do u reckon I should do it becos a couple of ppl hav warned me against it. But I'm pretty sure I'll do it as Dave said it should b ok becos he will plasticise it (extra protection). So is there anyone who's done this? How has it turned out? Are they damaged yet? Do u hav to b super careful having them? What do you think I should do???

Cheers folks,

Jared

I got my mudflaps painted when I got my wingtips done and I havent noticed any problems with the paint peeling off or anything. (I got mine done at a different panel beater than DSports though).

I got my mudflaps painted when I got my wingtips done and I havent noticed any problems with the paint peeling off or anything. (I got mine done at a different panel beater than DSports though).

Yea bugger it I think I'll jus do it n c how it goes... thanks saiya

• 2 weeks later...

I'd say do it yourself. Here in the US they sell color ,atched paint in spray cans. There, you can likely get it made to order.

All I did was clean the hell out of them. then, the MOST important part, spray it with a PLASTIC PRIMER to help the bond. then I spraded the color matched paint. I thought it would come right off, but it hasn't. Storms, dirt, mud, rocks, nothing hurt it yet. Been about 6 months or so.

2280436_9_full.jpg

2280436_44_full.jpg

post-335-1164615746_thumb.jpg

Sprayed these myself with a colour match from Autobarn. If you prep the painted surface correctly and you can paint with a can properly then it won't be a problem. My rear mudflaps have been painted for nearly 3 years and no drama's :D

post-335-1164615746_thumb.jpg

Sprayed these myself with a colour match from Autobarn. If you prep the painted surface correctly and you can paint with a can properly then it won't be a problem. My rear mudflaps have been painted for nearly 3 years and no drama's :D

Thanks man exactly what I needed to hear, cos sum guy was tellin me "they will look good for like 6 months, then after that n a few rocks theyl look sh*t.... bla bla bla"

silverbuilt: did you use a plastic primer before spraying the final colour on. cos i was talking to a guy at a paint shop and he said you need this special plastic primer so that the paint would stick and not peel. was he correct??

silverbuilt: did you use a plastic primer before spraying the final colour on. cos i was talking to a guy at a paint shop and he said you need this special plastic primer so that the paint would stick and not peel. was he correct??

definitely use plastic primer 1st then do the coats of paint then do the final glossy coat layer (with plastic gloss stuff)

primer - $14

paint in spray can- $25

gloss - $14

i think you could prob get cheaper though - (with primer and gloss) but dont go cheap on paint

hmm for that i could prob get it done professionally.. but like u said can get the primer and gloss cheaper

food for thought i guess

Cheers mate!

• 1 month later...

just got my stuff, it costed me more than that...

Plastic Primer - $20

Paint - $35

Wax and Grease Remover - $11

Gloss - $14

thats like $80.... but think i got enough for 4 mudflaps

Wow! Do you really need all that stuff to do the job? Obviously your not going to just spray them and install lol.