New manual 'rolla

Hi guys...just want to ask..

I've driven manuals all my life including Semis (Volvo 16 gear F7 ) but I'm having a prick of a time getting to drive my new ascent manual smoothly and consistantly.

The clutch and throttle are so light and the engine is so quiet, my size 10 steelcaps dont help either

Is it just me ? or are there any tips that'll help

The dealer said lots have said the same on the new model 93kw with the electronic throttle...nothing they can do.

i havent had too much experience, but the clutch on the rolla is really light, and there is a pretty small friction point... i find if im wearing my black work shoes, i cant drive my car - theyre heavy and i cant be precise... normally i drive with no shoes on or light shoes, cos thats the only way i can be accurate enough with my left foot to actually do smooth gear changes...

Yeah it me some time to get used to the clutch in my sportivo too. Wearing work boots would be a pain.

If you think that's bad though, try wearing these while driving:

New-Rock-boots.jpg

Lol...went to a Nine Inch Nails concert with mates and I decided I would drive. Big mistake haha.

Yeah it me some time to get used to the clutch in my sportivo too. Wearing work boots would be a pain.

If you think that's bad though, try wearing these while driving:

New-Rock-boots.jpg

Lol...went to a Nine Inch Nails concert with mates and I decided I would drive. Big mistake haha.

Ha ha...You sure get great feeling with those shoe mate...

This is my first car, what I feel is easy to drive with a pair of Converse. I just can't drive with other kind of shoe. Shoe must be thin or no feeling. ;)

would have to say that the clutch is taking a little to get used to - own a 2006 Ascent and occasinally I have the same problem. I came was driving left hand drives for a while and found that there was a similar problem in a few of the cars I used (also with electronic throttle linkage). Not sure that I can help work out a way around it though - and I don't want to go back to driving an auto unless Toyota have fixed the slude-a-matic that was installed in the first of the Australian wide bodied Camry.

(short foot note - anyone had a good look inside the new camry ... I can see so many parts that look like they were taken out of my 93 Vienta its not funny).

Edited by bafittler

Cheers everyone...I dont feel as stoopid now you've shared your similar experiences..

Dean in service at Chadstone Toyota said they can fit an aftermarket spring to firm up the throttle...

But I'll just learn to live with it...

The lack of torque at low rpm combined with the slight hesitation from the electronic throttle body doesn't help.

When taking off, just use a little more throttle when slipping out your clutch and you will get moving alot more smoothly. ;)

boots are made for walking, not for driving... especially in a corolla!?!

if you got special footpedals fitted as well, thatll make things worse. i got these chrome dragon looking footpedals which are bigger than the stock pedalz and it took some getting used to.. kept pressing accelerator + break at the same time.. and i wasnt even wearing boots at the time.

2 make things easier why not wear thongz or slip-on shoes with no lacez... easy 2 put on / remove.. easy to drive in.. then when you get to work, lace up your boots?

The lack of torque at low rpm combined with the slight hesitation from the electronic throttle body doesn't help.

When taking off, just use a little more throttle when slipping out your clutch and you will get moving alot more smoothly. ;)

i just taps the throttle a few times and clutch out, i think is easier to take off smoothly, u guys should try :)

i just taps the throttle a few times and clutch out, i think is easier to take off smoothly, u guys should try :)

yes yes yes!!! looks like im not the only 1 who does this haha

• 5 months later...

I've driven manuals all my life including Semis (Volvo 16 gear F7 ) but I'm having a prick of a time getting to drive my new ascent manual smoothly and consistantly.

The clutch and throttle are so light and the engine is so quiet, my size 10 steelcaps dont help either

The dealer said lots have said the same on the new model 93kw with the electronic throttle...nothing they can do.

I have the same problem with my 05 Corolla. I feel it has a lot to do with a fairly poor throttle response from idle. I, sure there would be a mod for this. Anyone have any ideas?

Dunlop Volleys :toast:

I must say my Conquest (110,000kms) feels like a completely different car to our Levin (55,000kms) - yet both are the old throttle-cable set up rather than the fly-by-wire. My clutch is heavy and firm and the Levin just feels "flappy" with no "feel" so to speak (like if you lent your foot on it the pedal would go in - no force required) - maybe as the clutch wears itself it's easier to use? I don't know... someone lend me a facelift and I'll tell you :lol:

The clutch feel changed significantly between the AE and ZZE series Corollas. The clutch in my AE102 is reasonably heavy (fine for normal driving, but can get frustrating in stop-start), whereas a ZZE's is a lot lighter, more devoid of feel. I normally drive barefoot, and heel&toe very frequently, but I've found I can do it in my work boots too (size 14 steel caps single-density sole) because the sole is very firm and gives good feeling. My old school shoes on the other hand I had no hope with, because the sole was chunky and soft which gave me no idea as to where the pedal was. Best driving shoes though (apart from barefoot) would have to be my 5-year old Puma Turins, a size too small with nice thin narrow sole so I can roll easily.

Dunlop Volleys :toast:

I must say my Conquest (110,000kms) feels like a completely different car to our Levin (55,000kms) - yet both are the old throttle-cable set up rather than the fly-by-wire. My clutch is heavy and firm and the Levin just feels "flappy" with no "feel" so to speak (like if you lent your foot on it the pedal would go in - no force required) - maybe as the clutch wears itself it's easier to use? I don't know... someone lend me a facelift and I'll tell you :lol:

HAHAHHA

Volleys FTW!

Bare feet/socks is best for me, I've had my car for 4 months now and shoes make a difference. I can't drive it smoothly with my steel caps, my work shoes or thongs, my Converse are fine though.

I had a passenger in the car the other day, I got in, took my shoes off and they said it's illegal to drive shoeless! Is this actually true? If so, what a load of bollocks! You get such a better feel for the car and the clutch without the inch of rubber sole!

Bare feet/socks is best for me, I've had my car for 4 months now and shoes make a difference. I can't drive it smoothly with my steel caps, my work shoes or thongs, my Converse are fine though.

I had a passenger in the car the other day, I got in, took my shoes off and they said it's illegal to drive shoeless! Is this actually true? If so, what a load of bollocks! You get such a better feel for the car and the clutch without the inch of rubber sole!

feel werid when i drive with no shoes or thongs lol converse ftw!! and yerh i heard it was illegal to drive with no shoes or thongs cuz it gets caught or somthing not sure but

• 6 months later...

guys the only way to drive these pansie clutches is to keep your right foot planted at all times and just step off the clutch

teach it whose the boss , i hate light clutch feel especially a long clutch point where your knee almost hits the roof when the clutch engages,thats the problem with cars these days no feel in it its pratically and auto

i wonder if putting a heavy duty cluctch in would make a difference