Hot Hatch

The GTA is nice but I'd never part with 60K for one. Imagine a Golf GTI or MPS3 with 20K worth of mods? Better yet 20K in your bank account.

My recommendations - Test drive a Renault Sport Megane 225 F1 and Jetta FSI turbo. Just thought I'd throw two options in there no one else has mentioned. And also they are both sexy cars.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yeh id like to see that,the megane is hot, my mum owns the lx sport version and when i was buying my stivo i had a look at the megane cup chassis and have to say ,it is a beast.awesome seats ,nice wheels and just has everything you need in a hot hatch for 40k or so.Thats what id buy instead of the mps anyday,better looks,better performance,better interior.Mazda has claimed 6.1 for the sprint but Ive seen a few reviews that have actually driven it and they all got between 6.8 to 7.4.The megane is 6.5 ,if you get the chance dans try it bro

Yeah I wouldn't mind trying some other hatches, there are a lot still to be tested. Megane F1 is very limited aren't they? I don't like the look of it though. Jetta FSI is a sedan. Next time around, I may try the MKV R32 golf.

The Mazda 3 MPS is the fastest on review (not inc GTA or R32) conducted by Motor magazine. Ok here's what they got: 0-100km/h

GTi - 7.36 sec

Megane F1 - 7.11 sec

3 MPS - 6.61 sec

XR5 - 7.5 sec

SRi - 7.5 sec

See out of those cars mentioned, I am only interested in GTi, MPS and XR5. Power is not everything to me, because I need a car that reflects my taste and style. I'm not all 100 percent performance person :)

$20k on top of MPS and GTi still doesn't make it an Alfa. Its a different sensation when you drive an Alfa and yes its expensive, but I guess that's the premium to pay. It's that sense of individuality of the car that makes me attracted to it also. If I buy MPS or GTi, most likely I will mod it so it becomes a match to how I wanted a car to be. I don't have to with the Alfa. So either way, ended up costing around the same. Well, maybe not up to $20k mods on GTi or MPS, perhaps up to $10k. Just personal preference on the Alfa I supposed. Heart over Head if I buy Alfa.

Edited by Danz

The jetta may be a sedan but its good for 0-100 in 7.2 due to its powerplant being the same as the GTI.

U should check into the when the Passat R36 (3.6L big brother of R32 with 225kW) or the 132kW Polo GTI Cup will be available.

http://www.carpoint.com.au/car-review/2078300.aspx

Ive also heard of a rumour of VW bringing out a limited edition GTI with power up closer to the 200kW mark.

As far as hot hatches tho im waiting for the perfect blend. I have my eye on the Astra SRI turbo. I love the low slung roof line but hate the holden badge. HSV are bringing one out soon. Waiting for the Tiida SSS that Nissan Aust are trying to get and ofcourse what toyota will do with the new corolla.

Edited by Daniel

Also theres a new gt golf which uses a supercharger and a turbo all in one,it has 125kw from a 1.4 ltr motor and the way it works is the supercharger starts things off from idle and when it hits about 4000rpm the turbo kiks in and the charger shuts down .How awesome is that i seen it in the paper in cars section,that must be a contender.From memory i think it has 260nm of torque from a 1.4 .have a look i found it

http://www.worldcarfans.com/news.cfm/newsI...-golf-jetta-tsi

click on next page for more details once you have entered the link

Edited by gengo

Also theres a new gt golf which uses a supercharger and a turbo all in one,it has 125kw from a 1.4 ltr motor and the way it works is the supercharger starts things off from idle and when it hits about 4000rpm the turbo kiks in and the charger shuts down .How awesome is that i seen it in the paper in cars section,that must be a contender.From memory i think it has 260nm of torque from a 1.4 .have a look i found it

http://www.worldcarfans.com/news.cfm/newsI...-golf-jetta-tsi

Yea the twincharger system (although I don't think It'll come to Australia. O and by the way I thought the supercharger and turbo work along a line (both at the same time)...

tsiairflowkb9.th.png tsiexplodedzl8.th.png twinchargediagram1gd2.th.png

Edited by grima88

yeh you might be right coz thats what the telegraph cars section stated,not vw

Either way (cos I'm not 100% on that as it does hav a control valve on the path to the supercharger so it may skip it at higher RPM's) it would still kick a$$ as there would b very little down low lag.

yeh id like to see that,the megane is hot, my mum owns the lx sport version and when i was buying my stivo i had a look at the megane cup chassis and have to say ,it is a beast.awesome seats ,nice wheels and just has everything you need in a hot hatch for 40k or so.Thats what id buy instead of the mps anyday,better looks,better performance,better interior.Mazda has claimed 6.1 for the sprint but Ive seen a few reviews that have actually driven it and they all got between 6.8 to 7.4.The megane is 6.5 ,if you get the chance dans try it bro

definitely give the F1 a go. $1k cheaper than the Cup.

not going to consider a WRX hatch? same price range but the only 1 with 4wd.

definitely give the F1 a go. $1k cheaper than the Cup.

not going to consider a WRX hatch? same price range but the only 1 with 4wd.

my good mate owns a wrx and to be ohnest it has awesome performance and handling but the interior is a shocker.When i get in my stivo i feel like Im getting into a dearer car then a wrx but its actually ten grand less

Mazda3 MPS wins category in BFYB :clap:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just got the new MOTOR mag, Mazda3 MPS won its price category $30-40k cars from Astra SRi and Focus XR5... no real competition there!!

"The Mazda3 sends its rivals back to their corners bleeding"0-100m and 400m times are pretty much on par with a 350Z and just a hair off WRX, actually quicker down the 400m than the 350Z (mazda 14.3s/ 350Z 14.4s).

Mazda6 MPS and MX5 got 5th and 6th respectively in the 40-50k bracket.

Overall Mazda3 MPS came 4th behind Commo VE SS, Evo9, WRX STI. Mps6 came 12th.

Seems our little rocket is killing em!!!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BFYB = Bang For Your Buck award is it?

I won't be surprised, for $40k MPS3 is the one to buy.

yup, when i went to the Mazda Driveday at Oran Park the other day they just finished testing the cars, don't know if the Golf Gti was tested as well, doesn't look like it. In the hot hatch category i think there was only the Astra and Focus, would be good to have the Megane and Golf in it as well. I'll have to wait for the issue to be released to know.

Edited by ZEEROLLA

Alfa is not very reliable. Its very tempramental. I never had one, but I can understand why. However, seems like the quality is not like 20 years ago. Shao still have his Alfa. It's around 100,000km now, and 2 months ago I thought it was not high km already since I did not hear any rattles or squeaks. At that time, I thought it was like 40,000km.

40 to 100 thousand K's in a couple of months? I didn't think Singapore was that big, is he commuting into Malaysia or something? :blink::blink::blink::blink:

Alfa is not very reliable. Its very tempramental. I never had one, but I can understand why. However, seems like the quality is not like 20 years ago. Shao still have his Alfa. It's around 100,000km now, and 2 months ago I thought it was not high km already since I did not hear any rattles or squeaks. At that time, I thought it was like 40,000km.

40 to 100 thousand K's in a couple of months? I didn't think Singapore was that big, is he commuting into Malaysia or something? :blink::blink::blink::blink:

:lol::lol: i think Danz meant "he thought" it was around 40,000kms, where in fact it was nearer to 100,000kms.. is that right Danz??

Yeap, I thought at that time (2 months ago) when I drove it the Alfa is around 40,000km because I did not spot any rattles or squeek inside the interior. The drive is also smooth and strong, and selespeed works fine. Back then it must've been 90,000km already.

But now I founded out AUS is the land of broken Alfa 147 GTA differential, but funny all (or most) cases is manual, while I experienced Selespeed failure. Its all the same story, change gear and kaboom. It happened around the world too, but not at an alarming rate like in Australia. ATECO the importer is also more willing to avoid than help with warranty.

I ohnestly believe if we get the hsv version of the astra that will take top spot ,it is absolutely hot looking with a strong motor.I watched top gear review when they tested the vauxhall eqiuvalent and that thing hammered the stigs lap.

But when will it come out though, and I truly love the look of the car too.

The HSV VXR has already been released (as of a couple of days ago), n the first person who ordered it (some guy called Rudi I saw on this other aussy forum) has already taken delivery!

http://www.hsv.com.au/

check it out it looks awesome!!! :) :) :)

I reckon they should have a "Bathurst Hot Hatch 500" or somethin lol with all these hot hatches e.g.

TRD Corolla (when it comes out)

Tiida SSS (when it comes out)

HSV VXR

XR5 Turbo

Mazda 3 MPS

Golf GTi (or R32)

Alfa 147 GTA

182 Clio

Or even just th 4 cylinder ones... That would be AWESOME :P

Toyota did release a Bathurst MR2 if I remember correctly.

They used to have the Super Tourer class here but it went dead. That's the one where Brocky drove that weapon volvo turbo.

The Audi's usually came away with the wins.

seriously that vxr kiks azz ,i just went in that link badboyz put up and its gotta be the best thing stock standard out of a showroom we will get for a while.its got mps power probably quicker and ten times the looks ,love that tailpipe and the interior makes others look like crap.ohh the 19 inch rims what a car

I seen the top gear review on the Astra and they said it had too much power. They said the golf GTI was still their pick over it. But Im a big fan of the astra coupe. If only they didnt make falcadores!

I also seen another review on top gear. In the UK there is a model of Ford Mondeo and Vauxhall Vectra that are both faster than the Mazda 6 MPS. Both are NA V6 FWD's.