Hot Hatch

I seen the top gear review on the Astra and they said it had too much power. They said the golf GTI was still their pick over it. But Im a big fan of the astra coupe. If only they didnt make falcadores!

I also seen another review on top gear. In the UK there is a model of Ford Mondeo and Vauxhall Vectra that are both faster than the Mazda 6 MPS. Both are NA V6 FWD's.

the 6 MPS is too heavy and suspension tune more suited to city driving/comfort.. :( remember it won its class in Targa Tasmania though so with some "performance" oriented mods it can kick ***** ;)

The HSV VXR looks mean, but not a car to have for reversing out your drivieway if you have children about. :P The rear visison is shocking! Wasn't there also one Topgear episode saying it was a heavy understeerer as well? Power understeer or turn in understeer i don't remember but it understeered pretty badly. Was on youtube. And Holden's reputed fit/finsh, reliability and quality is yet to sway me, even the Ford guys have quite a list of quality problems on their XR5s already.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I seen the top gear review on the Astra and they said it had too much power. They said the golf GTI was still their pick over it. But Im a big fan of the astra coupe. If only they didnt make falcadores!

I also seen another review on top gear. In the UK there is a model of Ford Mondeo and Vauxhall Vectra that are both faster than the Mazda 6 MPS. Both are NA V6 FWD's.

The Vauzhall vectra in the UK had a model that accelerates faster than an m5 in a straight line....but that 's about all it could do - heavy under steer, and torque steer didn't really help the cause. FWD @ High power output = :angry: in the words of Gan San and the gang in Best Motoring 'under , under , under!'

Wasn't there also one Topgear episode saying it was a heavy understeerer as well? Power understeer or turn in understeer i don't remember but it understeered pretty badly. Was on youtube.

He also showed how bad the torque steer was!

I think if you're in the market for a hot hatch this one will be worth the wait:

Audi S3

Following the S versions of the two big sedans comes the small hot hatch S3 due on sale in Australia about April 2007. Under the bonnet of the quattro three-door hatch is a worked version of the 2.0-litre turbo four-cylinder engine that generates a peak power of 195kW and maximum torque of 350Nm enabling the little S3 to sprint from standstill to 100kmh in a claimed 5.7 seconds. Drive to all four big 18-inch wheels is via a six-speed manual gearbox and as you would expect, brakes steering and suspension have all been upgraded to match the performance of the A3-based car.

5.7 sec! This is getting into supercar territory! Probly be way over the 60K mark tho.

Yer I think clio would be fastest even though it is a bit above 30. And its getting faster. New model coming out is apparently gunna have 152kW.

Another hot hatch option that people dont look at is the Citreon C4 Sport. Its not that quick but 10 points for originality.

Yer I think clio would be fastest even though it is a bit above 30. And its getting faster. New model coming out is apparently gunna have 152kW.

Another hot hatch option that people dont look at is the Citreon C4 Sport. Its not that quick but 10 points for originality.

Especially when it can turn into a robot! :lol:

What about the BMW 1 series hatch? The 130i model I think it is. Too dear?

Just something I found over at web wombat of the BMW in comparison to the already mentioned models here.

BMW 130i

Engine: 3.0-litre I6

Power: 190kW

Torque: 300Nm

Valves: 4-per-cylinder

0-100km/h: 6.2

Alfa Romeo 147GTA

Engine: 3.2-litre V6

Power: 184kW

Torque: 300Nm

0-100km/h: 6.3

Volkswagen R32 Golf

Power: 177kW

Torque: 320Nm

0-100km/h: 6.6

Audi A3 3.2 quattro

Power: 184kW

Torque: 320Nm

0-100km/h: 6.4

Yeah the 130 is the best looking (I love it, so different!) and the only hatch with rear drive and a straight six (again so different)...but it cost's somewhere around $70K :blink: thats serious money, same goes for the new Audi, its going to be even more expensive again. Executive types need only apply :angry:

Oh yeah and...the new 3MPS' performance is impressive but is really soft looking, it would suit my sister...

Edited by Slurdog

• 1 month later...

Since what I'm about to say is related, so I just continue this topic.

Yesterday I went to try 156 GTA. I never driven any GTA before, so this would be my first experience to drive it. Nonetheless, it should be similar to the 147 GTA.

I would like to go right into driving the car. As expected, the 156 GTA is easy to drive. Clutch and accelerator is nicely weighted, but brake is sensitive. This is so similar to GTR R33 on how you feel with the pedals. Its smooth and precise, not light but not too heavy either. Firm could be the word. Oh lovely pedal position too.

First gear in - ah nice feel on shifting the gear, precise and meaty. Easy on the throttle, and windows down. I must say though, the GTA engine can be dead quiet if you don't gun it. 60km/h and it'll happily cruise on 6th gear at around 1200rpm. Its got plenty of tourqe, so if you are lazy just press it and it will go. But you don't want to be lazy in this car - nor the car wanted you to be lazy for it. She demands attention. I already described how the beautiful 3.2 V6 sounded on my 147 GTA review, so I don't need to go on about it again.

Sorry, but i have to. Its a melody. Yes the engine sound is just an orchestra. I couldn't even bothered listening to the BOSE sound system. The only soundtrack I want to hear is the V6 singing pass 4200rpm all the way to 7000rpm. it's Lift x 2. It's just erotic and exotic.

What I really want to try is actually the steering turning cycle. I tried a U turn, and I entered the bus stop. This is much like the Mitsubishi Evolution. It'll keep you busy parallel parking this car. With such short turning cycle, you get quick steering respond. So easy to turn in this car and it does feel nicely weighted too. Not heavy at all. Just point and turn.

So I drove the car back to the owner's house and began to talk about what's so different about 156 GTA and the 147 GTA. Well I realised the 156 GTA has less body roll than the 147 GTA. He explainied to me this is due to the wheelbase. Being a sedan its more stable. Faster too. But how when its 100kg heavier? Aerodynamically, the 156 GTA is better than 147GTA. He tested both car, and the 156 will just pull away as the distance covered began to go further.

Interior wise I liked the 156 GTA better, but only slightly better due to the better seats. Slightly different dash too. Exterior, I'd say 156 GTA wins hands down. Its more subtle and much mature. Take it as a gentleman car, whereas the 147 GTA is more of boy-racer car. What really attracted me to Alfa Romeo is actually the 156 GTA. So if you asked me which look better, I will say the 156 GTA.

What a handsome car. Really easy to drive and its perfect for someone who likes to have nice down low tourqe but also strong mid to top end power kinda car. Could this how 2zz-ge + S/C feels like? Mama Mia~!

• 2 weeks later...